Interesting day.

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not every day you get to take a "non guided tour" of a government facility. By non guided I mean we had a guide, but we walked our self's.

Today I went on a photoshoot to the Hanford Vitrification Plant. It was pretty neat to walk around and see everything being put together, lots of concrete. The pictures from our shoot today aren't up but you can see the entire process of the making of the plant (photos) here and some time lapse videos here

The latest video on there was shot about a week ago. There are some pretty neat videos on there too.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds cool, did they just let you go where you wanted, or were you constricted to certain areas only ... ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha, I had no clue what vitrification was, I had to ask my best friend wikipedia. That reminds me of aeroglass, very cool stuff.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh I guessed vitrification from the etymology ('vitro-' meaning glass or glassy in latin) but I sure had to look up aeroglass :D

I love plants and factories. something so amazing about all those machines. I love watching 'how it's made' on discovery, with all the zany machinery making bottles or golf balls or biscuits or whatever...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant aerogel, not aeroglass. Can you blame me? They're practically the same word!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha ha ha aeroglass actually exists, it seems it's the technology vista uses to make its windows etc translucent and glassy. you go figure :D

(completely off topic - reminds me of when my mother went to this unspeakably huge video rental store in Dhaka Bangladesh, to ask for a film she had been recommended by a friend, called 'Above the Law' (yeah, Steven Segal....) but had misunderstood and instead asked for 'Above the Love'. Anyhow turns out they had that one too!! So she came home with a film bearing no similarity to what she was recommended.......................)

needless to say I had to google 'aerogel' too. but man that really looks majorly cool!!!! :D I want an aerogel pillow!!!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

An aerogel pillow would probably not be fun after a while. It's has such high insulating properties because it has virtually no moisture in it at all, so they say that when you handle it bare handed it will suck the moisture out of your hands and almost give you a burn like what dry ice does to you. I do remember seeing a site that had small samples available for only a few dollars shipping.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

wooooh scary :D but I'd love to feel the stuff....
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

They say it is super duper light weight.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

sure looks it :D solid smoke...... wicked!
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Sounds cool, did they just let you go where you wanted, or were you constricted to certain areas only ... ?

Basically, we were just limited to safety hazard zones. Which basically meant that they were working in the air. Those areas are restricted to other workers too. Only the people working on that particular part of the building were allowed through it.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd love to work in a special security zone.... even if there wasn't any real great danger involved. something so james bond about that :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts