Internet Explorer 8 - Today

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Time to check all your sites and see what breaks this time...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/intern ... fault.aspx

IE 8 Is officially available for download/upgrade today.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it amusing that "Why you should download Internet Explorer 8." links to a broken PDF, while the "Get the facts on browser performance." results in a 404. :D
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe the performance page is actually located at mozilla.org and someone just realized it :-)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I find it amusing that "Why you should download Internet Explorer 8." links to a broken PDF, while the "Get the facts on browser performance." results in a 404. :D

Been fixed already.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't wait until Mozilla -THE CORPORATION!!!!- has the largest market share. Then you all will be able to find irrational reasons for dissing them. :lol:
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG! They're doing the no scrollbar thing if the page doesn't go beyond the display area. :shock:
  • mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to see it now. Thanks for the information.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

quick tip. If IE8 breaks your sites you can force it back to rendering as IE7 strict by adding the following Meta tag DIRECTLY AFTER the opening Head tag.

Code: [ Select ]
<head>
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
  1. <head>
  2. <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
  • firefox2442
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • firefox2442

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohh no a new IE! sweet more bugs
Moderator Remark: Excessive punctuation/emoticons removed
  • mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

firefox2442 wrote:
Ohh no a new IE! sweet more bugs

oh! that's not a new thing to tell about..
  • nornholdj
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, The download page automatically assumes that you have a 32-bit version of your OS. I D/L'd it without looking and it didn't work and I was like what the heck ... ohhh
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recommend you upgrade, immediately.

It seems to render more like FF. Tool tips are gone (alt="string"). Scrollbar only displays if the page goes beyond the display area. Fonts are crisper.

There's a simple toggle for older rendering modes. There are several "neat" tools including working with highlighted/selected text. The Developer Tools are upgraded. The "about:Tabs" page seems to be very useful. Favicons seem to persist. :)

I think they've done a good job.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If anyone has any errors installing IE8 on Vista telling you that your operating system is not supported, check this out.

http://www.inoutstar.com/news/Operating ... -5522.html
Quote:
"IE8 is not supported on pre-release versions of Vista SP1 and XP SP3. When installing on earlier builds of Vista SP1, IE8 just won't install and you will see this error "The installation does not support your operating system's current Service Pack version." When installing on earlier builds of XP SP3, the wizard will proceed but your system will be missing KB946501 which is required for IE8, and hence, your installation will be terminated", revealed Jane Maliouta, the program manager for IE8 Deployment and Management.

I found that a little bit ago when I saw somebody on Yahoo Answers was having that problem and after a Google search I see that they weren't the only one that couldn't install it.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

nornholdj wrote:
Lol, The download page automatically assumes that you have a 32-bit version of your OS. I D/L'd it without looking and it didn't work and I was like what the heck ... ohhh

Strange I have 64bit Vista and it didn't ask it just downloaded the x64 version...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I kinda like some of the features on this IE ... like the colour coding on the tabs that are relevant to each other.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oooooooo! I LIKE the inPrivate browsing!

So far I'm impressed.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree. I'm happy with the speed and advances in rendering capability. Very few of my recent sites are broken which is really nice. And I'm really happy it doesn't throw JS errors all the time just for the fun of it.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So would you guys say its worth the upgrade? I have read many articles that say this IE8 release was a huge dissapointment (some compared it as upgrading from XP to Vista). About 6 months ago I downloaded and installed an IE8 beta and I remember it was buggy and caused problems for me so I uninstalled it. I am tempted to try again but I really have no major issues with IE7.

By the way I have Firefox installed as well but rarely use it because of one key feature preventing from going there. With IE you can select to use ClearType, and for me that makes a huge difference it how easy it is to read web pages. The only way I have figured out how to turn on ClearType for FF is by enabling it for all of XP, but I don't like cleartype everywhere on the computer, only in browsers. If Firefox had some option to enable ClearType with just their browser I would probably permanently switch over to Firefox. That has been the only thing keeping me from using it as a default browser. Everything else with it I like.

Anyway back to IE8 my main concerns are just the stability of the browser and if the IE7 mode really shows sites as if it was IE7. I remember when I used the beta when I put it in IE7 mode (or so it would emulate IE7), it still did not make things look like they really did in IE7 for me. For me that was the deal breaker which is why I uninstalled IE8 beta. I need the IE7 emulator to look identical to what it would look like in IE7 so that I could ensure websites are looking right for viewers using that version. For those of you who have Internet Explorer 8 installed do sites look exactly like they do in IE7 when you have that mode enabled?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I've had it running since about the middle of last week and I haven't had any stability issues although I don't use it as my main browser. Performance wise its feels much faster than IE7 (Vista x64 using the 64bit version of IE8) but still not as fast as Opera and Safari.

Its hard to know how completely it matches IE7 since I don't have them side by side but its extremely close. I've been using it to test all our sites that were built for IE6/7 and haven't found any that look different (could be off by a few pixels but I doubt it).

In fact most of our sites look pretty much the same without even using the compatibility mode so it seem like standards compliant sites that don't use any crazy IE hacks rendered about the same in both browsers (In compatibility mode I can't see any differences at all).
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I downloaded it and installed it this morning and have been using it exclusively all day and so far I like it. I'm not giving up FF for it but it isn't bad. It has not crashed thus far. The only page I had a problem with was MySpace and all I did was click the handy compatibility button and it fixed it. I though that was pretty cool.

Is it worth the upgrade? I don't think so. It does feel faster than IE7 though which is nice. The accelerators aren't anything i am excited about but I guess some people are. Overall not a bad release though, definitely a step in the right direction.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've used it sporadically today. I did disable the accelerators for the time being but might mess around a bit with those. I also disabled quite a few addins that I had with IE7. I'll attempt to surf mostly with it for the next week or so and add thoughts, but I agree so far with what has been reported. I did like being able to import my bookmarks with ease. Had the option to import from Safari, Opera and Firefox. It didn't recognize my Chrome install though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts