Internet Sluggish?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone else having trouble this morning getting to some major sites? I can navigate some places, but I've been trying to get to some news sites like CNN, ESPN, NFL MSN NHL --- I can't even get google to open, but I can surf some places, like here for example.

The general trend is that it seems like a majority of the sites that heavily use ad servers are the ones down or very sluggish.

Anyone heard anything?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was odd -- recycling my modem fixed it. It was odd though - I could connect some places but not others. *shrugs.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

The symantec website has a new mass emailing virus alert out, the virus uses KaZaA and IRC network shares to attack your anitvirus and firewall software.

This is just a thought on maybe why some of the bigger websites are slugish, then again maybe they haven't had there coffee yet :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I think after solving the problem by recycling my modem, I think it was just a glitch in my node during the rain and wind last night (I got a lot of the afteraffects of Isabel).

Thanks for the tip though. I do pay close attention to viruses. Call me crazy, but I currently don't use virus protection (they all expired and I can't afford to update them until I get back to working) -- I am, however, extremely good at identifying them when they get sent in email and nix them on sight. (And I even use Outlook Express -- I know -- I'm nuts)

I do have pretty good security with firewalls. I know I'm pushing my luck, but I do make constant and good backups and I'm one who has no issues reformatting and starting from scratch if needed. (In fact I reformatted one computer twice this month already for other reasons -- I'm constantly playing with different OS's and Servers) So for me it works.

I wouldn't recommend my method to most though! *lol It's just not a good idea to be without virus protection if you're not intimately familiar with your computers.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the free antivirus that is a very good software package, go to google and type in a search on the letters "AVG" go to the first web site listed http://www.grisoft.com and follow the instructions to get the free edition, they support updates for the free edition. Just make sure you fill in the * boxes, because they email you an activation code for the program.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ModernDestroyer - I'm actually aware of that one.

I'll give you further info -- one of the reasons I'm not particularly fond of anti-virus software is they are just too much effort. Not to mention that one of my computers is an old P150 processor and the "active" virus scans totally bog down everything (not to mention a full scan takes forever on larger drives).

Now if I were in a corporate environment -- I would make sure it was all up to snuff -- but I would probably use Panda vs. the 2 giants.

I know -- I'm an odd exception -- I just have the confidence in my skills that I can handle the viruses (and remove them manually if needed) and if not, I'll just shrug my shoulders and start from scratch. I actually don't mind cleaning out my systems in that manner if needed -- but I WILL add this -- by careful surfing practices and paying attention to emails I have NEVER had to reformat my computer due to a virus. Virus protection is a good thing -- I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression -- to me -- it's just not essential.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

the main reason I like AVG is it will update it self and run a scan every night as long as the computer is on. have you looked at Ad-aware for all that spy ware crap removal. Actually I run AVG on my laptop which is a 560x IBM with 64mb ram and a 4 gig hd, but then again I have my laptop setup to scandisk, defrag, run anti virus at night. And it usually takes all night for it to do those three tasks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have/had Adaware on one of my machines...it crashed all the time (although it did identify the spyware well enough) so I nixed it. My surfing habits are such that I'm not overly concerned about what gets reported to whom. And I used to have pop-up killer active as well, but since Mozilla and many of the newer better browsers include their own pop-up stoppers I just use those instead when needed.

I know, I'm an odd bird -- and thanks for continuing the conversation -- sometimes I think that we get overly concerned about the "bad" stuff that can happen to our computers and not take pro-active measures to understand our computers enough to circumvent them. I'm glad I've had this chance to talk to you about it.

Perhaps it will encourage some to learn a bit more about what they have. "Knowledge is Power" -- we have some incredible technology at our fingertips -- it would be a benefit to everyone to learn to understand it.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Got to keep up conversations to find out how people are? know what I mean. I enjoyed our chat. Now that I know u a little better, ever get any Fresh Manziane's bread, if I remeber right it was a little bread shop over in near Mckee's Rocks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truthfully no -- although I do have an old friend that still lives there and I'm trying to remember the last time I was in McKees Rocks (I was at his place) -- I think about 2 years ago -- but missed that one.

I was surprised earlier that UNFLUX is close enough to visit (from an earlier today post)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually use the free virus scanner here:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

I just goto the webpage everynow and then and it updates the engine right when you go there and then gives you the option to scan. Kind of nifty.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts