INTRODUCE YOURSELF 2002-2003

• The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome skeebee! Won't you join us?*evil laugh* Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• MacLuv
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MacLuv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello :wink:

My name is Johnny. I'm 33. As of this writing I'm an American living in New Zealand for the past two years. It's a beautiful country, but it's also the most isolated country in the world. This has made it difficult for me to find work in my profession (advertising design). :( I'm currently married to a really beautiful girl, but once again, because of my current situation, things are getting difficult, so I'm a bit sensitive to that subject right now.

My design background is in print. I've been hacking since I was about eleven, and once upon a time was going to code for a living, but my dad is a programmer and I figured one in the family was enough. So I took to sex, drugs, and rock and roll instead (not always in that order). I was always a big fan of the net, and designed a few things back in the "personal homepage" days, but I thought I would hold-off until it had time to evolve for a while. Besides, I was busy nightclubbin'.

I've always known that content should be seperate from style and blah blah blah from my database programming days, which I did for Citicorp putting myself through design school. All I used to see in the cubicle trenches was people reformatting data that had already been used someplace else, and to me it was a giant waste of valuable time. So when I learned about XML and PHP and mySQL, I was totally there dudes (and dudettes).

So now, with extra time on my hands, I'm devoting my career and design efforts to digital webland, playing catch-up with all the little whippers half my age. But I love it and I'm glad everybody is helpful. I like to help a lot when I can. I'm very anal when it comes to code (as most would be I suppose). I'm very very rusty so if it takes me a while to come back to it just be patient. Once I get in the zone I'm like, there.

As far as technology, gadgets, and all that other stuff people seem to like in here... well, it depends. Before I moved to New Zealand I gave away (yes, gave away) all my worldly possessions, as I don't like to define myself with material objects. I did this knowing that one day I would be certain to buy them again--a kind of upgrade plan I guess. Being without gadgets also keeps me from distraction and I actually evolve more as a person.

I love technology when it is used to enhance enjoyment of something rather than make people lazy or lethargic about life. For example, the geek child in me loves model railroading, and when I'm an old fart I'll probably take up the hobby to keep my mind from wandering. And I love the computer controlled systems that you can get now that send pulses through the track to an onboard controller to control the trains. Now I find that stuff exciting. But I still wonder why they haven't invented a programmable remote control that works with everything you own. (And I'm not talking about the cheap crap out there.) Jeesh.

As far as computing goes, I believe in "modular systems", which means I love the idea of Linux and opensource and all that fun stuff. Unfortunately, as an artist, I'm often stuck to the Mac platform, which I've grown to hate over the last five years. They've become slow and unyielding. I can appreciate the idealism that surrounds Apple, but I hate the company itself and I think Steve Jobs is a selfish bastard. In my eyes, Apple has in a lot of ways become the new "big brother" that it once promised to destroy. Oh well. There's a zen lesson in there someplace.

So there it is. Hopefully I'll be posting lots of questions and one day I'll be able to post some answers back to newbies like meself.

Ta!

(PS... I hate it when Kiwis--native New Zealanders--say "Ta." It's so Southpark Gay I can't begin to tell ya... !) :wink:
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to Ozzu MacLuv! Your feeling about Macs and your s/n seem kinda opposite.. Oh well, you sound like you'll be able to contribute to the community. My sister has a friend in New Zealand that lives a few minutes from some of the locations for the Lord of the Rings movies.
  • MacLuv
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MacLuv

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Shrew wrote:
Welcome to Ozzu MacLuv! Your feeling about Macs and your s/n seem kinda opposite.. Oh well, you sound like you'll be able to contribute to the community. My sister has a friend in New Zealand that lives a few minutes from some of the locations for the Lord of the Rings movies.

Thanks! Regarding my moniker, I am the king of contradiction. Not to open a can of worms (ahem) but I'm part of the generation that started using Apple computers (the good ol' Apple ][) and I was a Mac Evengelist for a long time. Then the "second coming" of Steve was upon us, and with it came the new dogma that would undermine a lot of the old principles that were introduced by Apple so many many years ago. I have a lot of admiration for Mr. Gates for just moving the industry forward--he has a penchant for business and understands the importance of "critical mass." I know a lot of people despise M$, but I see them as a necessary evil in the evolution of technology. If Gates didn't do it, somebody else would have. Such is the destiny of the human race.

I think out of hope and desperation I will always hold onto some form of Mac since I've been using them all my life, and therein lies my sentimental attachment to the platform. It is this luv, in fact, that allows me to face the new followers of the Mac race, look them in the eye, and tell them they are clueless wonders. The time for revolution has passed. Apple at this point is nothing more than a sanctuary for those fed up with the competition. :o

Oops, sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now...

Anyway, nice to be here... now if only I can get my PHP scripts to work...

:)

PS. Oh yeah, regarding the LOTR locations... New Zealand is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever seen. To observe nature here is like going back in time and in that regard I'm very lucky to be here. :)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad to have you here!!!

Yes I would love to go take some landscape photography of New Zealand alas I'm stuck in the damned town!
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, i take it you don't even like OS X?
  • MacLuv
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MacLuv

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Shrew wrote:
So, i take it you don't even like OS X?

Oh man, what delicious bait you've thrown me...

OS X, OS X... well, like I said, having used Macs all my life, like, all the time, I have to say that there was a time that I, as well as others, was getting a bit tired of System 7, which is really what OS 9 is with more bells and whistles. If you know about the whole Gil Amelio fiasco and the story of BeOS and all that, you'll know that Apple was in dire straights for a new OS for a long time. Using "classic" and using OS X is like night and day, however, the irony is that OS X brings the Mac community closer to its Windows cousin, without all of the evolution and "push" (critical mass) the Windows community has had over the years. What I mean is this--OS X is better than Classic in terms of stability and "software power", but primarily we also have given up speed (due to an OS on proprietary hardware--only after waiting x years we have the G5 which is apparently not as fast as Apple claims it to be) as well as the user-interface enhancements that Apple was famous for, including little things like non-dependancy of file extensions, and big things like human-interface guidelines, which Apple now breaks all the time (the dock is a great example of poor interface design).

Although I prefer OS X over Classic (in most regards, but not all), I would still prefer to use XP if it meant a better performing machine when using cross-platform applications. For example, the [speed] performance of applications on OS X is less than acceptable--I am not the only one in this boat with regards to speed performance issues, and even with the G5 now available, it still seems easier to make my next machine a dual AMD config with XP rather than go through all the hassles of waiting for the UI to respond to my actions in OS X, or wishing that OS X was faster in general. (I may reserve the right to stick to Mac. The jury is still out.)

The good points of OS X--well I dig the whole Apache thing built in. I like having access to a lot of Unix-based applications for free. That's a definate selling point. For sitting down and doing light, relaxing computing, I don't mind OS X at all. It's just when I'm really on a tight deadline or trying to do the power moves I could do in Classic without waiting for the damn beach ball to stop spinning I get really pissed at it. I know I'm not alone in this regard.

To sum up, I feel OS X is better than the Classic alternative for Mac lovers, but it's still not up to spec when comparing the features and speed performance of XP. So for now I deal with it.

(I hope this makes sense... I'm about to crash hard so I'm a bit wonky in the head.)

8)
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, it made lots of sense. Thank you for making such a lenghy reply to my question. There are also some things I prefer Macs for and some things I prefer Windows for. For one thing, I am an avid gamer, so that really hurts me if I go with a Mac. But for Mac's, I like to use their video editing software, I find it easier to use than the Windows Video Editing Software currently available. Eh, I 'm tired too. :roll:
  • MacLuv
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MacLuv

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Shrew wrote:
No, it made lots of sense. Thank you for making such a lenghy reply to my question. There are also some things I prefer Macs for and some things I prefer Windows for. For one thing, I am an avid gamer, so that really hurts me if I go with a Mac. But for Mac's, I like to use their video editing software, I find it easier to use than the Windows Video Editing Software currently available. Eh, I 'm tired too. :roll:

Ah, yeah, video editing... I have to say that I prefer that on the Mac at this point as well, although I've only done a little bit here and there. I think this is where I always get frustrated with computers, because there's never really a simple solution. I can't remember where but a while back I was reading an article by this Linux guru who was talking about the concept of scaling applications with computers--that is, sometimes it's better to have a computer do only one thing, rather than have one computer try to do many things. I always thought Linux would be able to achieve this sort of modular computing concept, but it doesn't have enough push behind it to make it successful. I think when the world is broadband we will see a paradigm shift in personal computing--my dream is that one day we will be free from the "chair" and computers will become more of an integral part of our living solution rather than a box on the desktop.

See what you've done? I can't stop talking about this crap... :roll:

Now I'm REALLY gonna crash...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

hullo!

im a graphic designer with my own business. always looking for new ideas and tips on how to do things because i also do web design but im not an ace at it!

anyhoo, just wanted to pop my head thru ya monitor and say hullo! Dont be scared haha.

:lol:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

but it was scarry!!!! you eyeball landed in my cereal! :-P

Glad you found your way over here, be sure to check out the conetests!!!
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome musik! Pull up a chair, have a seat, and stay awhile.
  • jO3
  • jO3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Joe
from Brea, California

I'm glad I found this site! there is a lot of useful information in here... I'm an aspiring web designer just looking to brush up on my skills and improve them as much as I can...

I'm into graphic design as well, and work for the automotive industry in master photoshop retouching... *shrugz* whatever that is...

Anyways, I'm glad to be a part of this community!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*musik waves, hullo Joe! :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to the board jO3
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

welcome jo3!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

welcome to ozzu! ;D
  • r3mi3
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello 2 Every1 !

How is is going around here?

I am new here and i want to introduce myself.

Im 15 year old , from Holland. I can do a few things with photoshop and flash but thats it. I dont know how to use HTML and PHP at all, so im gonna sniff around and see what i can learn.
Greetings to all members and admins
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiya :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to the board r3mi3 :)
  • xer0
  • xer0
  • Loc: necro paradise

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, nice forum you guys have here!
I really like the users and administrators attitude towards newbies and gerenal public. Ive never seen so much patience and kindness.

Well, im from the caribbean and i am 20 years old. Currently im in the middle of completing my Bachelor of Science Degree majoring in Computer Science. Some of my hobbies are, playing guitar, bass, listening to music, going out a lot :) ,spend lots and lots of time with my fiancee, well thats not a hobbie ;) and messing around with computers, operating systems and such.

Nice to meet you all.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohhh the caribbean how exotic!

Welcome aboard *geddit a board* ahahaha im so funny :wink: :lol:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You told a funny musik!!! :-P

Glad to have you here, hope you stick around!!!

Quote:
well thats not a hobbie

It's more of a sport right?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!..im kalbal (martin)

im new 2, just thought i should introduce myself. i am 15yrs old from the uk (nottingham) i know a little html, and now i am learning flash. (my first attempt if anyone wants to see:
http://www.geocities.com/sharpycrew/swf/main.html
and i am still learning..

oh and BTW........HELLO ALL! :lol:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

elo elo!

You might want to consider puting a box over the letters in the last frame of the buttons (normal, over, click, [this one]). I don't remember what it is caleld, but it acts as the hotspot for your button, and since right now you just have the button the letters are very hard to click on. looks good tho!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, i know, but that is what the little buttons r for (on the right of the word :P)
but neway, i have bin updating it on my comp and i will have it re-uploaded once i think it is good enough
  • xer0
  • xer0
  • Loc: necro paradise

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: guess so
Hi kalbal!
  • Mr. Tech
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Name: Ben
Eyes: Green
Hair: Brown

Hello guys!

I'm the owner of http://www.webmaster-resources101.com/ which I switched with my old domain name http://www.webwondersnews.com/ because Web Wonders News didn't really tell what the site was about...

I write PHP scripts which I have been doing for about a year and have already written tonnes of scripts in that time :D

I am wanting to learn Java but at the moment I'm really focusing on PHP.

Anyway, hope to see you around!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiya Ben, I'm Rose!

That is very cool to be so young and to know so much about computers and scripting and stuff!!! :D

Look forward to seeing you around!
  • Mr. Tech
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Rose!

I suppose you pick stuff up quickly when you're young!

See ya around!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 593 posts