invision boards

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a question for anyone that knows anything about the company that makes invision boards. Kinda been bugging me for a couple of days

http://www.invisionboard.com/

I know that you can get real good open source software for boards like php-nuke and post-nuke, etc.,

So what exactly is the deal with an invision board? Can it really be any better than a free one?

Do you think that they took a lot of the open-source out there and claimed it as there own after some modifications to the code? Reason I ask is I see a lot of the same icons on both free and invision sites.

Me personally I would rather stick with the open-source, than pay for something like that.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know whether or not invision is worth the money when things like phpBB are available, but I will tell you that it is very nice software. It used to be freeware, but then they realised they were sitting on a goldmine and started selling it.

I have version 1.1.2 on a forum I set up a while back, 1.1.2 is an old version but that was good.

I don't want to say whether or not you should go buy it, but it is NOT just a cheap ripoff of open source stuff and it IS very good software.

If you hunt around the site enough I think you can find a downloadable copy.

Also some hosting accounts have invision board in the "Addon scripts" section of cPanel, so look there before buying.
  • gonetwork
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would go with phpBB it is FREE and it is an awesome forum
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

gonetwork, have you used both? I have used both, and I would say that invision board is at least as good as, if not better than phpBB.

Don't get me wrong, phpBB is awesome, but so is invisionboard.

In particular I have noticed that invisionboard is signifigantly faster than phpBB.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

My host came with fransisco and on their it allows me to have invision board for free, but this is without any support. :(
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thanks for the info rjstephens.

No, i never planned on buying the software, I was just curious
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Invision Board cus i now know some of the software..acp...blah
I hav'nt really thought of anything else, like tone i have lots and lots of goodies with probably the same host as tone!
:D
There is phpbb and php-nuke...still finding me a way round all the goodies at the minute. !!
Just go with what takes your fancy board wise..what your happy with !!
:)
suzie.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I say use phpBB.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could just simply ask them yourself
http://www.invisionpower.com/?contact
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol,

I don't know a nice way to ask them if the had modified an open source project. I think I can rest assured that they didn't, I mean they seem pretty legit. Some forums I visit use them, and they are major ones too. I am sure there would have been some sort of lawsuit.

From what I hear from other people over the past couple days is it is pretty good software to use.

I don't know. If i had it through my host I would try it, but I think that I am going to have to go with post-nuke. I am redoing my personal site, and I want some sort of board that is easy to edit and manage, as well as to modify. I have played around with php-nuke, and I didn't like it, and I also don't think it is secure.

I have played with post-nuke, and I like that alot, and I am pretty sure that is what I am going to go with.

But I probably will play with the free invision trial, I think there is where I would see the difference.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Read the GNU license Vladdrac. Anyone who wants to can mod and/or sell an open source program if they feel capable or inclined , provided they meet the requirements of the license.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, that kind of makes sense, although I am no lawyer by any means. So they can basically modify it and sell it and legally do so.

I tried hard to find that in the license, but i couldn't. I have never been good with legal docs. I will just take your word for it.

It still doesn't seem right to me, I mean there was a lot of hard work put into the coding.

My other question then would be, if selling an open source program is what they did; Then how can they say it is copyright by their company IPS,inc? On reading the liscense, you have to place credit

Quote:
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article are permitted worldwide without royalty in any medium provided this notice is preserved

so then I am going to assume that IPS developed the board from scratch? would that be a fair assumption?
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

erm....i don't know
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have known of IPS since well before it was being sold, back when it was just a buggy beta. And I'm fairly sure that it was developed from scratch.

ATNO, the GPL does not permit that. Somewhere in the GPL it says that modifications must be release free under the GPL. The LGPL is a little more lenient, but I still don't think it permits that.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

A little off-topic and I feel a bit dumb for asking, but how in the world did they do this:

http://www.invisionpower.com/?contact

is actually this:

http://www.invisionpower.com/index.cgi?contact

What variable is the ? pointing at.

This IS doable with php, right? It must be easy, I just haven't gotton to it. I assume that's what's happening when you go to a php function page like http://www.php.net/echo . Right? Like I said, a little off-topic, but anyone have any pointers?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

The GPL says that you can sell stuff, you ask whatever price you want from it. The ONLY restriction is that it is under the GPL afterwards. It is perfectly legal to download phpBB and charge someone a grand for it (if you can find someone that gullible) as long as it still has the GPL. you just can't claim to have written it...

Thats what the word free means in this context "free usage" - no restrictions.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

to do that with PHP you would have to use getenv() to read the QUERY_STRING environment variable. You cant get it with $_GET because not using a variable confuses PHP and you would most likely get nothing in $_GET.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts