My job interview this morning

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I had this job interview this morning. While driving to the interview I realized:

1) I am late
2) I didn't bring the employment form they wanted
3) I drove past the exit on the freeway (was this really accidental?)
4) I felt and overwhelming desire to turn around drive home.

The company makes cookie cutter websites for veterinarians and chiropractors.

During the interview, I blew off the "progamming test" they had. The tests are always stupid quizzes that has some obfuscated code like main(t,_,a)char *a;{return!0<t?t<3?main(-79,-13,a+main(14,1)} and they want you to notice the missing semicolon and say "Aha! You missed the semicolon therefore you suck! I don't care you make tube site in 3 days from scratch". Make sure to say that with a Hungarian accent.

I need a job but they totaly figured out that I didn't want that job. I was late, forgetful and uninterested because I didn't really want to work there - I just didn't realize it until the end of the interview. Life is too short to be doing what you don't like doing.

Anyone need an awesome PHP progammer? Adult only. Must have fringe benefits and cool parties. No websites for veterinarians or chiropractors.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not just freelance?

I've just recently started a new job out in the mountains in NW Montana, and last January my wife (then fiancee) and I each had interview in Billings on the same day. I did mine in the morning and hers was in the afternoon. I did mine, then we went out driving around town to explore and look at a few places for rent. The night before and that morning we both kind of mutually decided that Billings was too much like the town we were currently living in at the time except for 4 times larger and we didn't want to be there. So she called her interviewer and told him she was no longer interested in the job and sorry for wasting his time, and I never did that interview followup thing you are suppose to do. Needless to say, they didn't offer me the job and I am glad because now we are living where we really wanted to live and I'm working my dream job and making more money than I know what to do with. I think it goes without saying that I'm extremely lucky considering our current economic downturn.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So just for clarification, kc0tma, is that what you are doing for your current income? Freelancing?

I usually turn to freelancing if my income drops or I need some extra money for the month, but have never really done it full time. I could see it generating alot of money though if you can get jobs done quick.

I am curious if you are freelancing, where do you get most of your freelancing work?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not doing any freelance work, not much any way, I've actually only ever made about a website and a half plus custom google maps and little quick and dirty scripts and routines. I got a job with Noxon Public School District as their IT Manager, so I've got my own netowork and I'm calling all the shots on everything. Its been pretty easy so far, I am the only person in my whole entire department so I'm kind of screwed if the doodoo ever hits the fan, but it feels good to be the boss so to speak. My network is about 85-90% linux with thin clients booting to an LTSP server, and really that is the most complicated part of my network. I've got samba for file and print sharing, an apache web server, and dns server, and two database/application servers (one for the card catalog in the library and another for student information). Where my work is in Noxon and where I live in Trout Creek (about a 15 miles commute) is way up in the north west corner of Montana, we're closer to Idaho and Canada than we are to anything else and thats what makes this my dream job is because of the location. My moms brother and his family live on 60 acres near Trout Creek so I've visited lots of times and every single time I always swore to myself that I would move here someday and now I finally did! My favorite part is where we are renting though--for $425 a month we have a 2 bedroom house with a big 2 car garage, and huge backyard with fruit trees, and...drum roll please...about 100 feet of shoreline on the reservoir. w0ot!
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

damn Kc0tma, i am quite envious of you right now.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know I'm really freaking lucky to have what I have right now, especially my job. Lots of people would give anything for a pay check, even if it meant doing something they hate, and here I got a great job out of state in an area where lots of peoples primary source of income is odd jobs and stuff.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sweet deal kc0tma! Congrats! It's a pleasure to hear a success story these days.
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

holy bajeezers.... $400 a month for that??? In LA... the same thing in a dark alley squeezed between houses and one of the busiest freeways in the country is hard to find for $2200. Thats awesome that you got that gig. My Aunt lived in montana... she made stuffed moose dolls :/ ???

I have an interview for a job in Seattle this week though so maybe we'll be neighbors haha
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seattle is quite a ways away, but we're near Spokane! Spokane is the goto place for entertainment from what I gather. There is a godsmack concert there in a few weeks and I thought it might be fun to surprise my wife with tickets but they sold out in three minutes flat.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts