Join the debate. Megawoosh. Real or Fake?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My girlfriend just showed me this. Is this real or fake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Y2ERZap9E

Find out the answer here

(if the video doesn't work, click here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Y2ERZap9E )
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

There has been that red bull commercial with the motocross guy jumping up onto that thing in Vegas. I wouldn't normally believe that was real except I watched that live.

My first thought before following your link was that it was fake, mostly just because the height the guy is coming down from would break every bone in his body when he lands in the pool because it isn't deep enough. But I could see that if you used enough math and science you could at least plant a target on the ground in precisely the right spot and get the guy to land on the bulls eye.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I call it fake! The trajectory doesn't seem quite right.

I don't see how math and science could account for all the variables. The slide would have to have an exact amount of friction, the human body would have to maintain a perfect position - perfect enough to maintain an exact amount of surface contact.

Even with an instrument that is relatively repetitive, like a trebuchet, it would be impossible to replicate an exact hit, every time.

Funny as hell, though! :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could see it being possible if the math were worked out, for the most part.

I don't like two things in this video and they both have to do with water.

1) 4 buckets of water for that monster ? How was the ramp itself being kept slick ?

2) That's an inflatable ring pool; Seems like it would have blown out a seam or something after that.

If it's not real, the jumper is a good actor. Their first instinct seemed to be looking back to see what they'd just done like most stunt-people do, rather than rejoice with their friends like an actor would do.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll believe it is real if they can do it in front of my own two eyes over and over again and have it be absolutely perfect each and every single time.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

anybody ever been water sking or wake boarding? at that speed there should have been a skip. :P

the splash from the bpool is wrong too.

cool video though.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That couldn't be real... I'm more cynical then that to believe it... although I did read the article and watched the unedited version of the film...

I agree with dM's argument... it would be hard to duplicate this over and over again, and with all the trials and testing they had to have a few extra people willing to risk missing the kiddie pool.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's fake, the ambient sounds can't be captured that loud and clear, the static was way too dominant, too. I have to say it's edited.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Real.....
Only because Im an engineering major and love the math. Would be easy to determine wind resistance, trajectory etc. and do a trial run with a properly weighted dummy. As far as the water sking comparrison, his horizontal velocity was not NEARLY the same. Splash looked alright to me. I vote REAL!
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been a pro ski patroller, bike courier, and I skateboard badly (for free). My first guess was totally fake, but I admit that I could not resist checking the answer.

Amazing.

Smokenjoe wrote:
Real.....
As far as the water sking comparrison, his horizontal velocity was not NEARLY the same. Splash looked alright to me. I vote REAL!

I can slalom on water skis (or rather, a water ski) and I disagree. You could easily be going 20, 30, 40 or 60 MPH+ by the time you hit that pool...you would have to develop this with a dummy object to perfection first.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible for humans to water-skip like rocks do when you skip rocks? IF the person is going fast enough?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If anyone ever tries it with a dummy, they should do like mythbusters do and use simulated bones that break like real ones and those shock stickers that measure G forces. I bet 100 trillion to one that the dummy would be declared dead.

Who wants to bet that mythbusters does test this at some time?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

alanwalters wrote:
The real man hides in the pool and then emerges once the doll hits the pool

It was Professor Plum in the conservatory with the candle stick.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts