• Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*drooling*

An Asus EeePC 1005:
1.6Ghz Atom CPU
2GB RAM

I had to choose between Windows XP Home and Windows 7 Starter; I chose the XP version for $10 less and wiped it last night and installed Windows 7 Professional (I get it free through my university).

Thoughts from the first 24 hours:

- Windows 7 runs like a dream. Seriously. All features enabled, no noticeable lag or sluggishness of any sort

- The keyboard didn't take nearly as long to get used to as I had thought. It's a 93% keyboard, so it's pretty dang close to what I was using on my CrapBook before

- The glossy finish that comprises the body gets very smudgy from fingerprints

- The drivers that came with it aren't compatible with XP; I need to download the Win7 versions from the Asus website at some point

- The trackpad is multi-touch. Not as nice as the ones on Apple notebooks (double-finger dragging scrolls), but a nice bonus

- Wireless B/G/N!

- Very lightweight, yet sturdy

I bought this to replace my 4 year old PowerBook G4 that I got before I started college. It had a whole list of problems and was just becoming unusable. Also, I realized I don't need a notebook with a 17" screen just to check email, browse the web, and occasionally shell into a server.

All in all, I give it an A+ :D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice one.

Just wait until you see the keys you often press the most have a constant smudge mark in them, it happened with my first laptop. Because my second laptop is so crap it hasn't appeared on that due to me opting to use the PC more.

Not heard much bad about Windows 7, what do you think of it?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hah, you should see the keyboard on my PowerBook. Awful.

I really like Windows 7. I can honestly say I haven't found much yet to complain about. It's a BIG improvement from XP, and I skipped Vista altogether.

I'll have to use it some more before I can really give my thoughts about the OS. I'm planning to upgrade my XP desktop this weekend.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you saying this because you are worried your new employers may be reading over your posts at Ozzu? or do you genuinely mean what you say?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not here to sit and plug products. I've only been using the thing for less than a day, hardly enough time to form an in-depth view of the system.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

w7 is great.
Wireless is finally super super easy and accessable.
Though they still hid the network connections about 4 screens in..
grr for how much I statically assign ips..

I know people who bought netbooks and they are great for the price, just have to realize no gaming..

But I'd wait until islate before buying a very portable web device.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use to not be a fan of netbooks just because of how teeny tiny the keyboards are, and the ones I've use had the buttons for the track pad to the left and right of the track pad instead of under which drove me nuts. But these days I'm kind of starting to like them and I've been thinking about getting one to play with. I actually have one in my office, a little everex brand gOS operating system that I've been thinking about wiping clean and starting from scratch on with slackware or something. And I use to not like the lack of optical drive, but I realized that I don't actually use them that often any way so I think I could live with a usb unit that I plug in as needed.
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got an EeePC 1000HA - 1.6ghz Atom, 2gb ram, 10.1" screen, 160GB hdd. I think it weighs in at 1.45kg.

It's running XP, which I've stripped all the non-essentials from. The battery lasts around 5 hours, which means I don't need to take the charger with me.

I love it, it's perfect for coding on the go, or taking to friends houses to fix their internet (which I do far too often), or to uni to write notes (I haven't done this yet).

And it was $450, so if I break it I can afford to buy a new one :D
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The battery life on my has been pretty good so far. I'm getting around 8.5 hours on a fresh charge, depending on how I use.

One problem I'm having is I can't seem to install the hot key drivers for Windows 7. The driver disc that came with it had all the ones for XP, but many of them aren't forward-compatible, and I haven't been able to find the newer equivalents on Asus' website. The hotkeys still work for the most part via generic drivers, but the software that powered them provided on-screen indicators and other niceties that I miss.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts