Just thought I would share, linkback spam out of control

• sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The other night I was up working on some code when I got an email from godaddy that one of my databases was in violation for being over limit. Because the website in question is one that I use just for testing purposes, I was a little confused and so logged in to take a look.

Seems a couple of years ago I set up a forum on it to play with modifications, but never posted a link to it anywhere because it wasn't going to be used for anything other than testing. I made one 'test' post and hadn't been back since. I never selected to be notified by email of new members because there were not going to be any members.

Imagine my surprise when I found it now had almost 40,000 members!.. and not one of them ever made a post :)

I ended up uninstalling it which removed the database and hopefully took care of the 'violation'..

but really?!
Attachments:
board_spam.jpg
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep that is expected, you need to apply a lot of anti bot measures to get this number reduced but stuck with it in one way or another. But you can reduce the figure a lot tho.

this is nothing strange, add honeypot and math functions/CAPTCHA

Holla if you got any questions but i would assume that is phpbb by the looks of it.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

About 5 years ago we setup a test forum to test all of our changes before deploying on the live site for one of the game sites I admined. We turned off all captcha and everything else for the site, and allowed posting. In the space of about 2 years the board had over 1 million users and about 10 million posts all from spam bots talking to each other.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Poly wrote:
About 5 years ago we setup a test forum to test all of our changes before deploying on the live site for one of the game sites I admined. We turned off all captcha and everything else for the site, and allowed posting. In the space of about 2 years the board had over 1 million users and about 10 million posts all from spam bots talking to each other.

hahahaha u serious, what a waste of traffic but funny.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unmetered 100mb connection for a gaming site that had around 50-75 people on it at anytime. We had plenty free.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Poly wrote:
Unmetered 100mb connection for a gaming site that had around 50-75 people on it at anytime. We had plenty free.

that's all well and good but your not suppose to encourage them lol :)
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
Yep that is expected, you need to apply a lot of anti bot measures to get this number reduced but stuck with it in one way or another. But you can reduce the figure a lot tho.

this is nothing strange, add honeypot and math functions/CAPTCHA

Holla if you got any questions but i would assume that is phpbb by the looks of it.

Yeah, if I were going to have it public or live, I would definitely have set some bot preventives in place. The one post that had been made was a test post by me that had no comment/reply permissions or I have no doubt it would have been filled with crap. There were no permissions to allow new posts, etc. on the board at all. :)
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Poly wrote:

There has to be something good that comes out of these 'members' that join our test projects. I just don't know what it is yet. If only we could figure out a way to make $ off of them :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts