"Lag" Problems Gaming

• ProtossPro
  • Born
  • Born
  • ProtossPro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please move this topic if it's in the wrong place, as I could not find the right place to post it.

I'm a high school student and I consider myself to have more knowledge than most my age with computers. I game casually and now that I've gotten a new wireless internet--NETGEAR--I'm having problems with visual lag with StarCraft 2. Every three or four seconds a small "gap" or "freeze" will slow me down. My signal strength is excellent. It's not the laptop because I was just playing SCII at my father's without any sort of problem. My latency in WoW is usually 250ms and I thought I should mention that too since they are both Battlenet. My framerate is usually 60fps.
If anyone could tell me what's going on that would be great. If needed, I will post additional information on my wireless internet and pc.

Thank you very much in advance.

Edit: "Stuttering" is what it seems to be called.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried bypassing the wireless, and just hooking it up hardwired directly and see if you still get the same issue? Have you tried bypassing the router entirely and go directly to the modem? Again to test whether or not the router is the issue.

We just got SCII for my fiance's son but haven't installed it yet, but we both play wow, and within the last week I've noticed quite a bit of that kind of thing going on, particularly in the cataclysm expansion areas. Twilight Highlands is particularly bad, even though like you the latency isn't over 250ms and fps is also good. And it does it on my fiance's computer too, not just mine. It seems like it started when blizzard pulled an emergency maintenance last week to fix a "technical issue". I'm wondering if the problem may stem from them.
  • ProtossPro
  • Born
  • Born
  • ProtossPro

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't had any problems with the expansion zones. Also, do you mean an ethernet cable directly hooked up to the netgear router?

Thank you and I will let you know if it works.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Instead of using wireless to connect to internet, connect the cable directly to the laptop... use wired connection rather then wireless.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts