Voting Chart

Total votes : 17

Is Leadership skills Born ? or Trained ?

•  
    Born
  •  
    Train

Is Leadership skills Born ? or Trained ?

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello , I'm curious about what others are thinking about this question , Because i personally feel it's important to 'have' this skill in our life. please, I Appreciate your supporting viewpoints on what you've selected and I deeply respect it.

Thanks,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• iliya428
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on childhood and training I believe. There are no exact instructions how to make one to be a leader but if we refer to the life stories of people with a leadership skill, we'll see how did they achieve it.

I think recipe is quite simple: start making decisions, believe in them and follow them strictly. Soon you'll become a leader :-). But it's too hard to believe in what you think or feel, if everyone else doesn't agree with you.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think there is a strong inate ability in good leaders. I think the inate ability displays itself in a gradient of many degrees in individuals across a population. Meaning, it's not just ON or OFF from person to person.

Training must go hand in hand with ability, however. You may have a person with strong leadership abilities, leading a web development team, for instance. But, if the person has no learned expertise in web development, their ability to be a leader is useless.

There's good news for those who don't have strong leadership abilities, though; There are always committees! :lol:
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

basically its born but one can develop it as well
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Coming from a military background I believe both to be true.

I ran into Marines that were fresh out of boot camp that I would have followed into combat.

Then there were other Marines I worried about crossing the street but as they developed their career and took part in leadership training and were given leadership roles I would have followed them as well.

Then there were some that no matter how much training they received or how many opportunities to lead they just couldn't do it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Leadership skills are trained/learned.
You're either born with a desire to lead or you aren't.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

Join Toastmasters. http://www.toastmasters.org

Find a club near you and join today.

It's free, and the best thing I ever did.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Leadership skills are trained/learned.
You're either born with a desire to lead or you aren't.

This is interesting. You're saying that people are born with desires and not aptitudes?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
You're saying that people are born with desires and not aptitudes?

There's a difference ?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that you learn leadership. I don't consider myself a leader but people follow me all the time.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:
You're saying that people are born with desires and not aptitudes?

There's a difference ?

Yes, I think there is a distinct difference. I think people a born with aptitudes which can be developed into skills through training and education. I don't think a person can develop a skill without an aptitude.

I'll give you two examples...

First, music. I know many many talented musicians and music teachers. One friend is an accomplished guitarist (7-string jazz guitar), owns a music store and gives lessons. The other day he told me about one of his students, the son of a mutual friend, and said, "He's got the ability, now he just needs to develop his 'chops'." Likewise, I know many people who are drowning in desire to be musicians, but lack the inate aptitude. No amount of training will ever turn them into musicians.

The second, and more relevant example to this forum, is technology. You, Joe, are a gifted technologist. You are able to learn, adapt to and exploit technology rapidly. Me, on the other hand, I don't have that inate aptitude. I could shuck away every other concern in my life and focus soley on learning and training, but in the end I would never be as adept as you. Why? Because my brain just doesn't work that way.

I think "aptitude", "skill", "desire" and "accomplishment" are all completely disparate things.

I don't think anyone can learn to be a leader. A leader has to have certain aptitudes that every person doesn't possess.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it's purely one or the other. (I seem to have no aptitude for being succinct. :P )
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

i used to work with this man, who has no leadership skills, but is very knowledgable . Hm, i left him. We still meet once in a while cuz still has some unfinished biz.

I sold insurance for a largest ins corp here in malaysia, and i hate it. ( but i like ppl buying from me ) .

ATM, i'm undergraduate in Biz info system an affiliate with Uni of Lancaster.

reason i've chosen Biz info system is Information - related activity is very widely needed.

I'm more to a diagram type of guy- who learns best analyzing diagrams. Story ,and words are my strentghs too. I still have to work on my logical part, e.g, Networking, no matter how much effort i put , I get a B+ or an A-.

While Project mgt. , System analysis & design, I put little effort, I get a B+ and, A.

I think talented is of course essential to a person's success in a chosen field. " Kurt cobain " was a talented songwriter,

He was my fav.

William Hung is dead, in music. No matter how hard he tries...

I have friends who are very adaptable to Networking stuff, but are lost in P.M & Syst analysis,

I think knowing your innate abilities are important as we go further into our career/job / school,so we can improve on our weaknesses, and maximize the potential of being a genius with the strenghts.

I've also come across this link which i'd recommend for readers,

That's all for now, I sincerely thank all who've helped me in my short survey ,

best wishes,.

p.s. my IQ testscore was 93 ( and i'm not american-english ) so it was inaccurate i think, But i'm happy with it- it's average.
  • jv17
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jv17
  • Loc: Miami

Post 3+ Months Ago

it goes with experience..
if you want to be leader..better start with yourself..
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think true leaders are born.

Nobody taught Alexander, Napoleon, Julius Caesar, Genghis Khan, Hitler, Xerxes, Odysseus, Leonidas, Attila, Hammurabi, Stalin, Lenin, Martin Luther King, Khufu, Ghandi, Winston Churchill, Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson or Frederick II how to do what they did.
  • ehandbury
  • ehandbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think you can group (say) Genghis Khan and Ghandi into the same 'leadership' group... they were completely on opposite ends as to how they led.

I think that you can certainly be born with the pre-disposition to be outgoing and fearless, which makes it easier to lead. But good leaders come in all shapes and sizes. People follow leaders based on decisions that the leader makes... the more good decisions you make, the more people will feel comfortable following you.... Ghandi's revolution by passive means just felt right to millions of Indians and they followed him.

... in other words, people follow winners. And you win by your decisions.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about I tell you it's not one of the two ... imo ... I say your surroundings play one of the biggest parts in who you become ... let's say you could go back in time ... and we take one kid as an example ... And because we can go back in time, we can put the same kid in two different situations ...

In situation A the kid is raised by an abusing father and an alcoholic mother and stays there until he/she is 17 ... in this situation the kid realizes that he/she needs to do something about the life he/she had and gets a job and then later becomes the leader of an organization for kids with parents just like his/hers

In situation B the kid is raised by middle class parents that are loving and are happy with how the kid does at school and socially, the kid goes to college, studies something and gets a job ... no leader.

Now this could just as easily be the other way around, but what I'm saying is, is that your surroundings have a HUGE impact on who you become ... and I really think that that is the key factor.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

:)
hmmmm, R_T, i don't really agree with that. Some kids get worse when their in abusive family. And some normal kids go extraordinary just because they have this "calling". I remember reading this story, "Buddha was the prince to a king, and he left the palace to suffer...."
I'm not buddhist. But just to relate this story, to show that normal, wealthy people can as well be successful, even more successful or ruin their lives terribly. It's in their head i think. Something like born within them.

But, to my puzzle, for the past 2 days, I grabbed 2 books from the library about leaderships, it says otherwise. Today, in this modern age, leaderships are made.......

Sorry, haven't summarized what is the whole idea about, will post back if I find it interesting.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.slideshare.net/robertsonlee/ ... l-theories

2 years ago, I had interest in researching about Leadership on my own. Yesterday, I completed an assignment and it was about something that caught my interest 2 years ago. You can view the document 10 pages from the link above. Comments are welcome.

:)
  • SunlightMedia
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think there's a difference between being a "leader", and being someone people are compelled to follow.

You can train to be a "leader", but are mostly born and naturally develop into a person others are compelled to follow.

Put the two traits together and you've got a president, cult leader, superstar, etc...
  • irfan917
  • Born
  • Born
  • irfan917

Post 3+ Months Ago

Leadership skills are Born.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually I agree with you, SunLightMedia and irfan917.

Recently I saw posters around the College campus recruiting Students Council with the Hallmark title "Leaders are Made"

I shrugged inwardly to myself with dismay, because I have seen some pupils from the campus just Don't Get It -- to be a leader.
  • johnsonkelly
  • Born
  • Born
  • johnsonkelly

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it has both like the sides of a coin ,because if you have a guts to lead a people is depends upon your family blood with the help of training you just can improve it and move it to perfection .
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since this has being dug up from the old files, I'll post my two cents on this topic.

neksus wrote:
I think true leaders are born.

Nobody taught Alexander, Napoleon, Julius Caesar, Genghis Khan, Hitler, Xerxes, Odysseus, Leonidas, Attila, Hammurabi, Stalin, Lenin, Martin Luther King, Khufu, Ghandi, Winston Churchill, Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson or Frederick II how to do what they did.

Actually, most of those people you posted are kings/nobles or someone of high class. They were all taught to be a leader. The kings were taught when they were still a prince.

The other nobles went to good schools and things like that.

righteous_trespasser wrote:
How about I tell you it's not one of the two ... imo ... I say your surroundings play one of the biggest parts in who you become ... let's say you could go back in time ... and we take one kid as an example ... And because we can go back in time, we can put the same kid in two different situations ...

In situation A the kid is raised by an abusing father and an alcoholic mother and stays there until he/she is 17 ... in this situation the kid realizes that he/she needs to do something about the life he/she had and gets a job and then later becomes the leader of an organization for kids with parents just like his/hers

In situation B the kid is raised by middle class parents that are loving and are happy with how the kid does at school and socially, the kid goes to college, studies something and gets a job ... no leader.

Now this could just as easily be the other way around, but what I'm saying is, is that your surroundings have a HUGE impact on who you become ... and I really think that that is the key factor.

I believe that this has a big factor into determining whether the kid would be a leader or not.

In your situation a, instead of him being repulsed to the abusive parents, (he could, I'm not throwing that possibility away), what I'm saying, that only strengthens the kids resolve and resilience. Makes the kid strong which is a big factor in leadership. After that s/he needs to nurture the leadership capabilities acquired during the surroundings. Hardship really changes people.

I'll bring in an example of my personal life in this. When I was young I used to be vary passive about what people do around me. I didn't really care since it didn't affect me. When I got to middle school and up, I started noticing myself giving people orders on where to stand during a baseball game or even dodge-ball :lol:

Later on though I stopped giving orders and became 'somewhat' passive. I'm not as passive as I used to be, but I'm also not as bossy as I used to be. By passive I mean I didn't really care for what others do around me, I didn't care to tell them what they are doing wrong/bad when I notice something that they have done that I feel is not right.

Now, I just let them notice, suggest a few things (if they are my friends) but I don't try and force them :lol:

Leadership can be born and can be trained. You just need to get the motivation, desire, and a real need for it. Like if you are in situation a in R_T's example, maybe it's not abusive parents, maybe it's just poverty, but you will get sick and tired of it and would like to turn things over. Maybe you would stay poor, but since you lived through it, you know how to survive, you are strengthened, then you are able to tell people what to do in poverty to survive.

Another thing I feel that goes into leadership is that you can be a leader in something you are very well versed. A poor guy wouldn't be a leader in telling people how to make money. A poor guy would be able to be a leader in telling people how to survive in those conditions.

An abused child could be a leader in surviving the parents. But that isn't where it ends. The skill in leadership can spread, like cancer spreads (bad example, I'm sorry).

Also, you can't be a leader if you haven't followed a leader.

Alright, this might have being more than 2 cents... sorry.
  • nuesha

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually read bout history..I think true leaders are born..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts