Living around thunder storms!

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

All my life I have lived in California and I have never had to worry about a thunder storm. I am soon moving to Michigan and guess what a computers worst enemy lingers around in the winter. And it would be simple to unplug the computer when the weather gets bad but the problem is I have 8 computers running at all times 2 of them being servers Linux and a Windows. It is all for educational purposes. Now would a surge protector protect me against a zap or do I have to buy one of UPS backup batters with a power dampener in it? If that is the case what about the phone line a surge also goes through those just last week may grandparents last 2 phones because of that. Do they make a unit for the phone line to stop surges? This is my biggest concern about moving.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have witnessed thunderstorms all my life, and have NEVER had anything break because of a surge. We use surge protector strips on all our computers.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

And you might want to invest into an UPS with a built in surge protector for your servers/cable modem, so if you loose power you won't loose service.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i guess i am going to have to go buy some surge protectors. That was my only concern about moveing but it seems ill just put a surge protector on everything that plugs in. Thanks for the input.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd never have any expensive electronics not on a surge protector, regardless of where you live. It not only makes things a lot safer, but it's easy to turn em all off at once then! I know my whole A/V system in my room is on a strip, and I just flick it off when I go out of town for a week or two.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I lost two projects last night due to storms. Although they weren't very important, I am thinking of investing in some sort of backup generator
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Monster Cable makes kick ass power strips :D I paid about $50 US for mine but anything that gets zapped from the powerstrip failing is replaced on them :wink: (florida + noSurgeProtector = :cry: )
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

hate to burst your bubble

Thunderstorm , is sound made by a lightning storm.

Lightnign storm, is what your talking about v.v

or both.. I hate ppl who say thunderstorm.... but maybe its cuz prefer "lightning storm"
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

While I agree with you technically, thunderstorm is the more common term. If you watch the weather reports, they always refer to these as thunderstorms.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I have never heard "A lightning storm warning is in affect in the surrounding area"
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never heard the term "lightning storm" in my life :? , now "Electrical Storm" on the other hand :wink:
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea see how everyones getting dumber?

hear what you say!!! humanity is dumbing into a society of un-intelligent ppl stuff.... :lol:

idk, my teacher said something how were making are selves dumb.. thanks to him, they eliminated multiple choice on 3 of my university exams :lol:

oh the humanity... :oops: :cry: saying like it makes you dumb to give you multiple choice or somethign like that ...
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know, humanity seems to be progressing to me
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

thun·der·storm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (thndr-stôrm)
n.
A transient, sometimes violent storm of thunder and lightning, often accompanied by rain and sometimes hail.

I could not find a definition for lightning storm.

I took weather classes in college due to the fact my major was flight technology and weather is a big role in being a pilot. Anyway in my classes it was always referrered to as a thunderstorm. We even talked about the phases of the thunderstorm such as cumulus stage, the mature stage, and the dissipation stage.

You can learn more about thundestorms here:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/thunderstorm
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

BLASTERS.. they're trying to get rid of LIGHTNING STORM... a big conspiracy by the government!!! ahh!

(runs and hides in a Bunker)

idk, when I was in canada, they called it "lightning storms"
and also in chili/ europe (germany)

... >: o

at anyrate.... that dictionary must be trying to get rid of the word... or it being a "free dictionary" meaning, leave out words v.v because who cares, its free
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Foxy wrote:
at anyrate.... that dictionary must be trying to get rid of the word... or it being a "free dictionary" meaning, leave out words v.v because who cares, its free

Well I actually quoted the definition from dictionary.com :) - that is also where I checked for lightning storm.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... ning+storm
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

And likewise:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... understorm

:D
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG... WHAT THE...

:shock:
Its a big conspiracy!..... Dear god

these are all american sites... it must be the u.s.a

I swear, I have a european dictionary, and Im lookign right at it...

(snickers at the google)
:x
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thunder and lightning(flash) are just by-products of the electrical current ionizing the air. Technically speaking, one really isn't more correct than the other. I'll go with the more common term.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

a roque u.s website: http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/PubInf/N ... htning.htm
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get a kick of watching people like foxy get flamed over text! But I will refuse to dispute back.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... gle+Search

851,000 hits
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SecureITGroup wrote:
I get a kick of watching people like foxy get flamed over text! But I will refuse to dispute back.

No one is getting flamed...

And Foxy, whatever you choose to call it, make sure you unplug your Mac. :lol:
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

well.. I guess .. Ill through my hat in..

but: usign a word like that, makes me not like you, thus unique, thus being not conforming to society, stearing In my own direction, thus making me cool..

:)

lol at the mac hit, I own a pc also... w/e me= 8)
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me id did but it is all cool i am very easy to get along with. Thunder lightning everyone knew what I ment. At the end it is a zap resulting in damage to your pc/mac.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow. Ok first of all a small flame. If you (foxy) think people are getting more stupid as time progresses, I'd recommend taking a few typing/english classes to fix your grammer and typing skills. I actually had to re read some of the glyphs you had to figure out what you meant.

Secondly, gray or grey, soda or pop, thunderstorm or lightningstorm, no difference. However, I believe part of the reason thunderstorm is used more readily is because you always see thunder long before you see lightning, because while light from the electrical discharge (which travels from the ground to the clouds by the way) created by the atmosphere may occur, for instance, during the day, or behind a tree, or some hidden place in the sky. Thunder however dissipated through the atmosphere and you hear it almost every time.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, what you really got to look out for is when you hear thunder at the exact same time that you see lightning.....If you know what I mean
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thunder definitely has a more profound effect psycologically. That's what scares children (or adults) and makes all of the cats and dogs hide under the furniture. :)

Vladdrac wrote:
yeah, what you really got to look out for is when you hear thunder at the exact same time that you see lightning.....If you know what I mean

:lol: You might not see anything if that happens.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:

I don't think you can hear thunder at the "exact same" time as you would see lightning, if thunder were to come soo soon after seeing lightning I think the initial shock of being struck by the lightning would inhibit your ability to hear the thunder :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts