E-mail Spam King sentenced to nearly 4 years in prison

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The "spam king" was sentenced on Tuesday to 47 months in prison, with a ruling that the court hopes sends a message to other online criminals.

Robert Soloway, the man known as the spam king for the massive volume of spam he sent out, pleaded guilty to fraud, spamming and tax evasion after being indicted in May 2007. After an unusually long sentencing hearing lasting two-and-a-half days, Judge Marsha Pechman handed down her sentence in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington in Seattle.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... years.html

More good news, another spammer being sent to prison. Just a few days ago this was posted if you recall:

general-discussion/year-old-man-gets-months-prison-for-spamming-aol-t89877.html

According to that article a man named Jeremy Jaynes was sentenced for nine years in prison for his spam crimes earlier this year. Also Adam Vitale got a little over 2 years in prison.

If they keep sending spammers to prison I think it will send a clear message to other spammers that they will be risking jail time if they continue to do what they are doing.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
If they keep sending spammers to prison I think it will send a clear message to other spammers that they will be risking jail time if they continue to do what they are doing.

I don't think so.
It's still less risk than selling drugs and people still do that all the time.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like they're just replacing one "spam king" for another, now that they have a vacancy:

http://www.intology.com/computers-inter ... ison-camp/
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well our spam problem will never be resolved permamently. It will send a clear message to spammers though who would be afraid of jail time. As always though there will be people who will take the risk, and of course spammers in other countries that we cannot control anyway.

However I do think it will make an impact to those who would otherwise spam if they knew there were no penalties. So the fact they are actually enforcing the laws help in my opinion.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Looks like they're just replacing one "spam king" for another, now that they have a vacancy:

http://www.intology.com/computers-inter ... ison-camp/

I never saw that one coming. :shock:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
It's still less risk than selling drugs and people still do that all the time.

I agree. I will admit that in my research for keeping bots off my work network, I was amazed at how freaking easy it would be to pull it off and if anything started getting fishy at all then I would pull the plug and stay clear. But with the feds and antivirus companies targeting botnets and their wranglers I decided against it. You're welcome for that.
  • Pof
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Pof

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well - that is a nice storry to avoid (try to avoid any further spaming )

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts