merchant account

• Gasolene
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Gasolene

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hav a someone that wants a merchant account for online purchases.

My understanding is that the "form" that submits customer information and credit cards is on the merchant providers secure server.

However he would like to set up his own customer database (his server is also secure).

He also processes telephone orders and would like a web admin interface for operators that would allow them to proccess orders through the merchant account but still update his own database.

is this possible, or is the merchant account a completely seperate system. ie: he would have to have users submit info twice?

note: I'v never set up merchant accouts, I usually use 3rd party systems like paypal.

thnx
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay usually it works like this.

First you must obtain a merchant account with a bank. After that point they should provide you with an online processor which connects to the banks system. The online processor company should be able to provide you with information on how to connect to their system with scripts, etc. You would easily be able to store this info in a database. For example here is my case.

I own a merchant account with Humboldt Bank in California. Humboldt bank supports a variety of online processors which are necessary to communicate with the bank. I use Cybercash which has been bought out now by Verisign. (I dislike Verisign but still continue to use the processor gateway from Cybercash). After that I read the Cybercash gateway manuals and have written a script in CGI (Perl) which interfaces with their system. When anybody buys a product my script stores the info in a database on my server, and then sends the info to the processor where it then contacts the bank and tries to authorize the transaction. If it is successful it will return a positive result back to the processor which then sends it back to my script. My script can then determine what to do based on that result. If the result is good my script will then allow them to create a username and password to access the restricted area. If the result sent back had failed, then it would tell them the reason why their credit card was rejected.

Much of what I have discussed is very advanced and may not be right for you. If you have a merchant account with a bank, there are many companies that can work with you to provide you a much easier solution.

Gasolene wrote:
My understanding is that the "form" that submits customer information and credit cards is on the merchant providers secure server.

Not necessarily. My form works right through my secure server, which then process the information and sends it to my merchant processor located at Cybercash, which then contacts the merchant bank directly. The user purchasing the product would not know this since it is all transparent. To them it simply seems like my server is doing all the work. There is no mention about my processor or bank or any association with any other website other then my server.

Gasolene wrote:
is this possible, or is the merchant account a completely seperate system. ie: he would have to have users submit info twice?

No, he shouldn't have to submit the same information twice. There are basically 3 systems when accepting credit cards. Your merchant bank, the merchant connection processor (the gateway), and then your merchant cgi scripts on your server. These 3 systems will all work together in a very efficient manner.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts