Mexican Lawn Crew VS Chinese IT Crew

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's the difference between a lawn crew consisting mostly of illegal immigrants, and outsourcing IT work ?

I know it sounds like a setup for a joke, and I will probably not be able to resist cracking a few on the subject, but for the most part I'm being serious. :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, resisting the urge to plunge into a slanderous joke, at this point in time, one is illegal and the other isn't.

However, from a U.S. citizen point of view, both suck as they both take income away from US citizens who in most cases could probably use it.

I will say that I was happy as a peach when I had to call Gateway (now MCP for the business line) to set up service for my laptop and the first thing I heard on the recorded message was "proud to serve you with 100% US based service representatives". (paraphrased slightly but the point remains).

I have primarily purchased Dells for my company who's service is outsourced and although the reliability of my Dell purchases has been excellent, and even the outsourced service calls has been more than adequate, my experience with Gateway has substantially altered my preferential buying trends.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing that comes to mind, is that with illegal immigrants some of the money stays where it is. However with outsourcing it seems that all of the money moves overseas & out of the economy.

I've worked with a lot of illegal immigrants in the years before I got here. Mostly painters.
Some of them send a lot of their money back home for their families and live on as little as possible while they're here. Some of the younger ones get mixed up with drugs and end up in a deportation/re-entry cycle. But no matter what, some of the money they earn stays where it is because they have to at least support themselves while they're here.

With IT outsourcing though, the money moves overseas, and there's really no reason for any of it to stay here, or even come back here. If you really start to think about it, there's no goods comming in to account for the money going out either.
It's a sort of service leak in the economy.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I pretty much build my own computers, so I am my own tech support. And if I had a yard, I would mow it myself for the exercise. If you want something done right, and if it is worth doing, then do it yourself.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

After trying to work the word "lipstick" into a one-liner...and failing...

From the perspective of a free-market/free-enterprise business, the intention of both situations is to reduce operating costs. It's a simple precept of a business, any business, to reduce the cost of doing business wether it's the cost of taxes, raw materials, office/manufacturing space, or workforce. From that perspective, there is no difference.

While there are laws at different levels that make one situation illegal, there seems to be a willingness to turn a blind eye when it comes to industries who rely on that type of workforce. Not only by the businesses themselves, but also from the political machinery and ancillary industries.

As ATNO pointed out, from the perspective of a US citizen and US laborers, either situation sucks because it means the dollars are going away. At the same time, many of those jobs are ones that US employees are unwilling to do. Or, if they were willing to do them, the cost of a US laborer would make it financially unworkable.

I think this is an inherent problem for what we call "more developed countries" in the world. The needs and expectations of the worker out paces the ability of certain industries to compensate them.

Is there a solution? I don't know. I don't think it would be sensible to slam the door and become isolationists, but at the same time it seems like a slow leak in our economy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts