Microsoft announces pricing for Windows 7

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

"The full version of Windows 7 Home Premium is priced at $199, with an upgrade from Vista or XP costing $119. The full version of Windows 7 Professional is $299, with upgrades going for $199. Windows 7 Ultimate is priced at $319, with the upgrade version at $219."

Source: InformationWeek
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to multiply that by about 3.5. It is currency here that is smaller. Bad for me..

:)
  • copxxx
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice price but if they are seriously it's too much. Many people will go to the w4rez and p2p sites and download it for free. Sure if you wanna be 100% legal you have to buy :D
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to be 100% legal but don't want to buy one you can go with linux too.

Why is 7 supposedly so much better than vista or XP? And why has vista gotten such a bad rap? I've never had any problems with vista on any machines I've had with it. The only problems I've had were with old software that wasn't vista compatible, and that is to be expected when you create a whole new operating system.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like Vista myself and have had the opportunity to work on 7 here at work. I'll probably upgrade here since they'll foot the bill, but Vista is just fine for my home pc. I can't justify the amount for the new features.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll be installing it just because my school gives it to us for free, atleast the business edition or equivalent which is probably the Professional edition of 7.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man thats expensive. The next version of OSX is priced at $29-upgrade/$129-full (no crazy different editions, etc). Granted apple wants to sell hardware and microsoft doesn't but still $300 for the "ultimate extras" (read different screensavers and widgets) is kind of outrageous.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

They will be offering discounted upgrades for a limited time...

Quote:
Additionally, customers in the U.S., Canada, and Japan who pre-order Windows 7 from certain online and brick-and-mortar stores—includingAmazon (NSDQ: AMZN) and Best Buy (NYSE: BBY)--between June 25th and July 11th will receive discounts of more than 50%, Microsoft said. The same program is available in the UK, France, and Germany between July 15th and Aug. 14th.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

After apple announces they are selling the updated os x for what 39? or something rediculously cheap, microsoft should have done similar.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
After apple announces they are selling the updated os x for what 39? or something rediculously cheap, microsoft should have done similar.

MS has to charge that much just to pay their $300 Million/year ad budget. Crispin Porter + Bogusky sure aren't cheap but they've helped Mini and Burger King maybe Microsoft will see some benefit
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that I'm out of Uni. I don't get these OS's and upgrades for free anymore.

Expensive things make me sad =(
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Merlyn wrote:
Now that I'm out of Uni. I don't get these OS's and upgrades for free anymore.

Expensive things make me sad =(

Ditto that! MS's academic alliance was great, that was soooo cool getting XP Pro and Server 2003 Enterprise totally free, as well as access and visio.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could be tempted to go for the upgrade during discount perdiod in UK. Never realised it was so soon they were releasing it.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I <3 academic alliance.
  • DataCabbitKSW
  • Born
  • Born
  • DataCabbitKSW

Post 3+ Months Ago

For those of you who have seen the pricing, you may not have seen the pre-order pricing. Several versions have about half-price for the upgrade if it is pre-ordered. Check out the Windows Team release on availability and pricing here: http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/window ... ageIndex=2
Or you could check Microsoft's own store for confirmation: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Wi ... tegory/102
For those of you who want to see what Windows 7 is like beforehand, try the Release Candidate for free from TechNet Springboard over here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 61745.aspx
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm those price multiplied by 8.5 plus the retail mark up gonna spell a headache for me :)

Vista is nasty so it wasn't to hard to improve on it. Now if only I can find drivers for FreeBSD and a way to run Visual Studio I would be sorted!
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
hmmm those price multiplied by 8.5 plus the retail mark up
:shock:

Wow, sounds like you need to make a friend a bit closer to the source and get some shipping. ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts