Microsoft may soon drop Vista, offer as a 'downgrade'

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks as if Microsoft is considering pulling Vista off the shelves as soon as a "better" alternative is available - I like how they worded that. Just too bad the definition of 'better' will be based on their input and not ours. So, what will they do with Vista? They're falling back on the (not so?) tried and true methodology of offering it as a 'downgrade'. Unfortunately for us, that means that we'll probably pay resellers an upgrade fee to obtain the capability to downgrade...again.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of the features that seems to be pulling a lot of focus is the XP-compatibility mode. Read more about it here.

Charlie Demerjian said it best...
Quote:
If you want XPM [XP-Mode] now, you can get there at no cost. Go download Ubuntu or Fedora Linux, and use Xen, VMWare or any other free VMM out there with your existing Windows XP licence. You will then have the same end result as using XPM, save money, gain security, and get off the Microsoft treadmill. The choice, and the money you will save, are yours.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, people paid for a downgrade to stay on XP instead of moving to Vista, and now, they expect people to want to downgrade to Vista ?! :scratchhead:

How's that for irony.
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems like there trying to sell XP twice lol :) ...... based on high confusion levels of soccer moms and good training to the fine workers of the best buy sales team. Who knows though... could be good?
  • stephen186
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stephen186

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always liked XP over Vista and the main reason is the compatability of XP over Vista.

I do not know for some reasons lot of softwares are not compatible for vista.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now for the truth

http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9132532
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Earlier today, a Microsoft general manager hinted to the IDG News Service that the company might ditch Vista as soon as Windows 7 ships.

Managers who don't know what they're talking about FTW. I'm glad they're not pulling that stunt again - now let's hope that THIS is the truth, heh.
  • carazoo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always preferred XP to Vista :-)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vista is so reminiscent to me of Windows ME. And I'm happy to say the only two Microsoft operating systems that I've never had the pleasure of owning. They both seem to me transitional to operating systems that actually work.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had Windows ME on an old Gateway PC and it ran just fine. I never experienced the issues others had with it. Not sure if it was a perfect match hardware wise or what.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same here grinch. I had no qualms with ME. I really never understood the negative hype myself.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to manage the computer department at Circuit City when ME came out. In fact I was selling computers right from the start of Windows 95, and I can tell you I had to deal with more customer problems with ME than any other operating system we ever sold.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

oy, the days of ME. I too had a gateway pc with ME installed. So many BSOD's. The horror of it all!!!!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What was the relation between 98se and ME again ?

I remember having 98se and then 2000-professional. Someone gave me their copy of 2000-server to play with sometime around when XP came out I think.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows ME was marketed by Microsoft as the next logical progression of the Windows 95 and 98SE. It targeted mostly home users (similar to the marketing of XP Home and Vista Home). It added System Restore and a redesigned Windows Explorer window that helped avoid deleting or damaging critical files (hidden system folders being a primary addition)
http://www.wise-women.org/features/winme/

Windows NT 4.0 (released in 1996) and Windows 2000 (released in 2000 at the same time as ME) catered more towards businesses and used NTFS vs. FAT32.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

windows 2000 was a good OS. I used it for years.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still have about a half dozen computers at work with Win2K on them still. Trying to hold out until next June to replace them with Windows 7. Keeping my fingers crossed. Starting to have hardware issues with a couple of them. Nursing them along is getting to be a pain.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts