Microsoft Plans "Do Not Track" as Default in IE10

• Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/01/advertisers_angry_do_not_track/

Brendon Lynch wrote:
Consumers should be empowered to make an informed choice and, for these reasons, we believe that for IE10 in Windows 8, a privacy-by-default state for online behavioral advertising is the right approach.

Just thought this was some very good news worth sharing - in case anybody had missed it. Also somewhat important, I'd imagine, to anybody around here who works at all with web advertising.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt advertisers will respect this when its set by default. The "Do Not Track" is by design pretty weak since it sends a message "don't track me please" and people (advertisers/webmasters) can chose or don't choose to listen to that and still track, its like leaving your house unlocked and write a sign "please do not rob". A much better thing for those that care for privacy is to activate a tracking protection list (available since IE9), and its also recommended by Microsoft, that will actively search for tracking elements and disable them THAT is like having a guard inside your house looking for bad behavior, much more effective against robbery.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts