Microsoft removes 3-app limit on Windows 7 Starter netbooks

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Microsoft announced this weekend that Windows 7 Starter Edition, the version of the OS thought most likely to go hand in hand with netbooks, will no longer come with a 3-application limitation. The restriction has been viewed as a controversial topic since it's initial announcement. Some laid back users could see the benefits in a cheaper edition which would still allow multi-tab browsing, email, and one more application to run. I personally can't imagine being limited to so few tasks, regardless of the PC. Netbook or no, I like to take full advantage of the hardware available. Even when I choose to keep just an app or two running, I like to know that I can break out into a bit of code in whatever language whenever I may need.

Two points for MS. Read more here.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to know what posessed Microsoft to even consider a 3 application limit to begin with. I can't think of a single piece of hardware limited to three functions. Hell, I don't think you can even buy a TV remote that controls less than 5 things anymore.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO, $$$. Plain and Simple. If you want 4+, you gotta buy something more expensive than starter edition.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what I understand the Starter Edition was supposed to be for Netbooks and for those users that don't do much other than surf the net and check e-mail where having more than three apps open at once is uncommon. Think about your average PC user, have you ever seen grandma chatting with friends, sending e-mail and surfing the net at the same time while playing texas hold'em while in the background compiling software or rendering 3D graphics? Probably not.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I misunderstood how the three app limit worked. I was thinking three installed applications, not three
running
applications.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it's three running applications, but even at that, my grandma may not max it out, but anyone younger than her, including my hunt-and-peck parents, would definitely get annoyed.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I consider my wife an average computer user and at most she has Outlook and Firefox open at any one given time. She might get a little wild and have Word open as well. So for her a 3 app limit would suffice. I agree that a 3 app limit would not work for younger people who do more multi-tasking but that isn't what it was designed for.

Releasing this version would have been a big headache for MS due to the fact that people would buy it because it is cheaper and then be pissed off at the limitations. It could be pulled off but they would probably have to spend billions in advertising and PR work to make people understand what its design was and there still would be that 10% who just didn't get it and bought it because it was cheaper.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Releasing this version would have been a big headache for MS due to the fact that people would buy it because it is cheaper and then be pissed off at the limitations. It could be pulled off but they would probably have to spend billions in advertising and PR work to make people understand what its design was and there still would be that 10% who just didn't get it and bought it because it was cheaper.

No doubt. There would have been the crowd who just grabbed the cheapest version of "that new windows" they saw, or maybe included it in their PC order without fully understanding. Could definitely have been an ordeal for MS.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see it as a reaction to Acer's announcement that it will be selling Netbooks using Google's Android operating system, which potentially puts a little pressure on M$
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go Acer - I hope it works out for them. I got to play with an Android phone the other day (following the newest upgrade) and I was impressed. Hope Android stands up to the netbook niche challenge. I'd like to see where they head with it 5 or 10 years down the road.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

how could anyone stick to just 3 apps.
just on start up it would be filled. how would then know if your printer software is a app or your anti-virus is a app
does it count it as a app if you open it? what if it is in the start up menu..

i don't think anyone would go for it so it is a good think they will no longer do it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts