Microsoft suing teenager

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

IH8Purple - You could have your name legally changed, of course people would be making jokes about.. Come on people, you all know the words... "....the boat ashore... halleluja!" ;)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gasolene wrote:
I was under the impression that you could use any domain name you want as long as u don't reference the any company using that name. apparently this is not the case.

so If i have a domain called http://www.mypotatoe.com, and there's a company called My Potatoe, then they could sue me??

seems a bit unfair to me.

not necessarily. remember how that singer sting tried to sue the guy who had sting.com and lost? It's because sting.com is a common word from the english language, and sting had just as much right to that word as the owner of sting.com

BUT, if it's something more specific (like say someone registers cokecola.com or however it's spelt, that thing rots your entire body so i really don't want to touch it) then cocacola corporation would have every right to sue you for ever cent that your worth.

there are, however, a few issues involved, like who got the name first. there was recently a big dispute locally over the name "harry potter". Some store somewhere was selling clothing by the name of "harry potter". Warner brothers and co. sued but lost because the clothing store started to use the harry potter name 2 years before the first book was released.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, it basically depends on whether the courts think it was done for malicious intent, or to ride on the back of another person's success, by using a name or phrase they'd mde famous... Or, whether it was done out of innocence.

Like, I'm sure Mike Rowe did not setup his domain name to compete with Micro$oft, and he's had the name since birth, so it's not just something he thought up to go head-to-head with Micro$oft.

And what if several long-established companies share the same name? As long as the original registrant has a legitimate legal claim to the name, the others won't have a chance in court.

Just look at http://www.burtons.com. Now, they've been real nice and put up a "Wrong Site?" page, linking to the other companies called Burtons (In the UK, USA & Australia).

http://www.burtons.com/wrongsite.html

And even though Burtons.com isn't apparently a business, the fact that he's now had his site established since 1996, shows that he's not just a cybersquatter holding the name for ransom. He is not attempting to compete with another company by the same name, and is in fact promoting them (or at least mentioning them, through his "Wrong Site?" page. So, I doubt any of them would have a leg to stand on by now if they wanted to take him to court (and probably didn't stand a chance back then either, or one of them would have gotten the domain off him already, heh).
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wanted to point out that microsoft was very witty to simple turn Mike Rowe into a furth Microsoft Drone, by swamping him with MS propoganda.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 34 posts