Monty Hall Riddle

• NonbornAdversary
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many people might know this one, but please don't post up the answer, but PM it to me. Later, I will post up the results of how many people got it correct to the number of people who got it wrong.

Riddle: You are on a game show, and the game show host is Monty Hall (the host of the old game show "Let's Make A Deal". You are standing in front of 3 boxes. Your challenge is to choose the one that has the grand prize. The other two have consolation prizes like a year's supply of Rice-a-Roni (the San Francisco treat and 144 boxes of Ring Dings), we'll call them "zonks" in this game. So you chooses a box, BUT Monty dosen't reveal what you've chosen. Instead he reveals on of the duds that you did not choose (for people that are lost you picked one and there are TWO duds, "zonks", and Monty revealed the one that you did not pick, considering that the one you did pick IS a zonk). After seeing the zonk, Monty asks you, "Do you want to change your decision to the other remaining box?" Now the question is, if you DO decide to switch your box, do your odds of winning increase to 66% (2/3)? And if 'yes' how?
Good luck.

- Nonborn -
  • NonbornAdversary
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm needing more people to try this riddle, it shouldn't be that hard :roll: ... I might have to post it up again to get more results.

- Nonborn -
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

you just posted it yesterday....give it a chance :eek6:

answer: yes because you know that the box you chose at first is a dud.
Your education of which box is or isn't a dud is greater than 50% when
you consider all 3 boxes, and you know that one of them is a dud for sure.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you look at the date of the first post, he posted it 15 days ago. Anyway if I recall I had sent you a PM with my answer. I am still waiting for you to post all your answers you received and the right one. I am pretty sure mine is correct ;)
  • NonbornAdversary
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, I'll give the answer today, wished that I would have had more replies then I did...oh well, people don't like math I guess. The results are amazing, all answers that were PM'ed to me were....(drum roll).....wrong! Yes your chances do double giving you a 66% chance instead of 33% at the beginning. Yes people will firmly disagree (and so will teachers) but give me a "fair trial". For the educated probability student out there saying that I am wrong here is the (simplified) equation for the problem: (n-1)/[n(n-p-1)]. "n" equals the number of all the boxes that are throughout the game, and "p" is the number of boxes that Monty Hall opened. So now the problem is (3-1)/[3(3-1-1)]. If you still don't believe me then play the game and see the results for yourself. Here is the link:
Riddle Proof!

- Nonborn -

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts