morally, is this is a good idea for getting link backs?

• sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a very easy to make, fun little clock (flash). I made one with my fav college football team's logo and when friends saw it, they begin asking me to make one for them with their teams logo (or even pics of them, etc).

I know that often times people will download and use these things without asking (not that I mind, really).. so I got to thinking. What if I embedded my website's link in one of the layers (use the text tool to type a word using the same color as the image so as not to distract from the image) and insert my url in that.

This way, if someone does swipe an object from my website, at least I'm getting a link back out of it?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not somehow embed your website name in part of the clock and make that part clickable on the clock. I would think then its more legit, if you were to just link the clock without really having anything related to your website that is sort of iffy in my opinion. At least then not only are you getting a link, but some brand recognition going at the same time.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did think about that, but they're kind of small and I think it would either be too small to read or make the clock too gawdy looking?

And that's just it, I don't want to seem "sneaky"(?) about it... but I'm not really pushing these. My personal website I have always used just for storage or testing without it actually being open to public. I've had a few people ask me how I made certain things on some websites and so I decided to start a section for tutorials. (very basic ones though, I am not that good myself).

So the reason it would be on my website would be as an example in the tutorial of the finished item. Also, I don't mind having a section of others that I've made to share if people want them for blogs, etc. Should I simply put a disclaimer up that there is a link to my website in them?

Here is an example (the link is in the green just above the "6") I am working on the tutorial for it now. I've never written a tutorial on how to do something before, so I hope it will make sense...

http://www.shermas .com/gators_clock.php
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just took a look at your clock, I think that is more than big enough to put the name of your website curved around the clock and linked to. I would just make it as part of the design of your clock :)

Putting a disclaimer probably wouldn't hurt.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks! Maybe I will put "stolen from shermas .com" on it? :) j/k
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Need a Packers clock on Ozzu me thinks...
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

would be happy to do that ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry Poly but Ozzu is Steelers nation. Except for Bigweb and you, of course.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

No comment. :|
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

So all i have to do is convince the head cheese and it'll happen? What does he like? Beer? Women? Women in his beer?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts