Most important part of web design are often overlooked

• Arings-Jones
  • Born
  • Born
  • Arings-Jones

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all… This is Arings, n I am new to this forum. I hail from web design and SEO background. I would just like to spark a discussion in here regarding web design. When a Web design is created, one of major aspect of design that is usually overlooked is layout. I have seen my friends spare thoughts over how to build a layout i.e.CSS, tables, frames… and so on. But the most often the basics of Web layout are totally ignored. What you guys think of this?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that's exactly why there are too many people designing websites who should simply go do something else. It would help to improve the web.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google changed the name of the game from Something Brilliant, to Reverse Whack-a-Mole where you swing the mallet at random holes and the moles try to poke their head up before the mallet hits the ground.

There seems to be only one rule for website layouts these days, draw attention to advertisers.

--

I tried to come up with nice layouts and useful things for years, and every time the sites failed miserably.

Then one day I setup a few half-assed pages just so my host wouldn't kick me off the server for only using FTP and not actually having a website. I figured if I have to setup the website I might as well put advertisements on it, so I put the advertisements in what I considered to be the most annoying of places, I was really just trying to drive people away so they didn't use up all my bandwidth.

Not only did people start visiting the freaking website, it actually started making enough money to support itself and a few other websites. I was dumbfounded.

I've setup other websites much the same way since then. It seems as if the more effort I put into a layout the less people want to stick around and the worse it does financially. It's as if when I put effort into it, people just close the tab. But if I put effort into sticking advertisements in their face, they look around for awhile and then click the advertisements.

Go figure. I don't like it, but if that's the way it works, that's the way I'm going to do it. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts