Motivation - How do you revive it?

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm talking about motivation - not about making money, sales, girls, relationships, or academic.

But about your own projects you have been building like past 1 week. I find it hard to concentrate when I turned on my computer. I'd be so distracted with so many other things like; Flickr, Gmail, Google, YouTube, Ozzu. Yes you heard it right, Ozzu.

I'd spend a lot of time on these websites the time I realized, I need a nap. (It's my holiday I know). The drive I had when I ran the projects first were fading away.

How would you deal with this? Have you ever had this experience? I can tolerate this because I know I'm not working for someone, no time-constraints, own-boss thing.

[Aarghhh]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm dealing with this at the current moment. I came up with a great idea and was very into it for about 2 days. Then life gets in the way, kids, wife, work. I haven't worked on the project in over a month. I still think about it and I still want to do, I just don't have that same drive I had the first day I worked on it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got my motivation back quite easily this week. Point blank I need the money and nobody can make that happen but me, so I bent myself over and gave myself a good kick in the a**!
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have that problem going to work......same Sh1t everyday. I need projects to keep me interested. Also, I spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to do after work. lol
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm kind of the same as jflynn, except I try not to think of what to do after work (except for today though) and my reason is this: I will get all excited about going home or riding my motorcycle or something, and then I start watching the clock waiting for it to hit 5:00, and does time ever move slower when you do that.

In a few months though I might be moving to a different town if everything goes my way, so keeping from getting my butt fired here today is my motivation. So I guess I am motivated by an outcome. I just like getting things done. I have a hard time doing them and getting them started, but the closer I get to the end the more motivated I am to finish. The beginning always seems to be the hardest part.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thought of doing something I haven't done before motivates me.

I tend to park projects when it seems like I'm doing alot of repetition.
My feeling is that if I'm repeating things I'm doing something wrong & need to do something else until I get an idea how to automate the repetition and proceed.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a simple technique.

- I write down what I would like to do on a list.
- Then I pick some items on the list and do them.

This way, by seeing all the items in front of me, I can pick and choose what ones I would like to do. The easy items I do right now, the hard I leave for later. But at the end of the day I have at least accomplished *something*

Then when my list has only one item on it - the hard thing I left until the end, it's not so hard. It's just something I have to do.

I think lists work for me, because I don't have to have motivation to do them, I just listen to the list. It's like someone else talking to me. Just do it.

Today I have on my list:

- Clean garden area
- Install accent lights
- Put wood chips in garden
- Call about mortage
- Carfax report
- Buy patio materials

I think I will go do the carfax thing right now.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find if I get a good nights sleep, get up early it helps. Also exercising.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When my motivation goes flat, it's almost always do to routine. So, I make some change to my routine or take on a new project. This is why there's a half finished retaining wall standing in my backyard.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess it helps me to have some food too. A lot of times at work I am having a hard time getting things done/started in the morning, then I go to lunch and have a sandwich and maybe a cold beer, and then when I get back to work for the afternoon I get lots done.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol that happens to me... youtube, movies, everything else just puts me on a stop on a project so than I do and get it over with and then my motivation comes back on it's own for about 4+ months :P
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have that some times, but rarely, I love what I do so when I'm busy with a site or something like that I just go on and don't just become distracted because I want to see the end result NOW ... but everyone has those days ... I tend to just get up from my desk, go outside, have a smoke with the old ladies that work on the ground floor and when I get back I feel a lot better ...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you so much everyone. I'd just read a book the other night, it says that many people don't finish what they started. It reflected me as I thought deeper into it. I'm definitely one of them. To put the long story short, it's so great I received so many good ways of dealing with it and realized I'm not alone. :)

Please don't be stunned I'm about to say something..

I love you people.

Thanks,
:)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
I love you people.

I guess I'd be comfortable as long as it's not in some kind of stalker type way ...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

George, that's been my life for the last 5 years. There are days when i have alot of motivation to do things. Like, say for example my personal website home page was typed through sheer boredom and was only going to be there for a couple of hours...2 months on and despite how quick and easy it is for me to change it i generally don't have the motivation to do this.

I have to do so much today too, and i just don't have the motivation right now to do it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You just need a little help, a little push in the right direction on the thing that unmotivated you and poof... motivated again ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts