• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

2008 Harley Sportster 883 Low. It had 7 miles on it when I bought it, and I put 6.3 of them on test riding it.

I know it is the smallest bike harley makes (I'm too short to ride most motorcycles), but it is still freaking fast and literally 6 times the motorcycle as those little 1 cylinder crotch rockets. The guys that ride those are the only ones who hassle me for riding a "girls bike". Once I get my hooker exhaust and my buell top end you'll hardly be able to hang on when you open it up.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got a ZX-14, It's got 190HP and goes 226MPH ungoverned. I've had it up to about 170.

http://www.bodydot.com/gallery-588-My-new-ZX14.html
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had mine a little over 100, but I didn't stay there long. My bike doesn't have a windshield and that is a lot of air flowing by you really fast. It almost felt like someone was strangling me with the wind blowing on my neck.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
2008 Harley Sportster 883 Low.

Nice! Looks good. You won't catch any flack from me - I've got a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Debaffled and tank emblems removed. I want a Harley eventually, but instincts told me to start with something else. I catch crap for the non-American bike on bike nights, but the sport bike guys don't mind me hangin around and after all, they tend to bring better girls anyways. :)

Quote:
I got a ZX-14

Cool bike. I love the color, and the neons are a nice touch. The cat seat warmer is especially awesome. :) I wanted a sport bike for years but I decided to wait until I could live with a cruiser so that I didn't have the opportunity to reach 200mph. lol I still want to try one some time though.

If it ever quits raining here, I'll uncover my bike and snap some shots, but for now, this'll have to do...same color scheme, so with tank emblems gone and covers on the pipes removed, that's it.

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom in candy apple green (or whatever they call it) was a very very close second choice to my Harley. The engine displacements are virtually the same so you would never notice the difference between the two on the road. The Vulcan is liquid cooled whereas my Harley is air cooled, so that is a trivial difference. I think the Vulcan had a little bit bigger gas tank if I remember right, which was actually a turn off for me because I liked the really narrow feel of the Sporty. There's only like 3 or 4 pounds difference in weight, and the price difference was nothing, so I picked the Harley just because it's a Harley, man! My third choice was the green Nighster, but my dealer sold it literally 2 days before I bought my bike, and my fourth was the Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak because that bike looked bad ass.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha, yes, it certainly does. 1600 was just too much for me since I hadn't ridden since I was 15.

One of my coworkers actually has the green custom and comes up here quite often - awesome looking bike.

The deciding factor for me was the touring pkg - if I wanted my wife to actually think about letting me take small trips on it, it had to accommodate our gear, souvenirs, etc. Even now, there's a few things I'd like to add:

I want a mustang seat (1.5 hours is about the max our bottoms can handle on stock seat)

And a gear with a few more teeth on the rear of the belt drive. As is, hanging 75 or 80 is a bit higher rev than I would like.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't remember who makes it, but somebody makes a 6 speed kit to add to the transmission to Harley/Buell Evolution series engines. It adds that 6th gear, but also lowers the gear ratio on the first 4 gears making it have a little more zip. I thought that might be kind of fun, but I'm not sure if it is really worth the couple thousand bucks to upgrade it. My bike is still totally stock now, but hopefully by the end of the year I'll have some forward controls and this exhaust with the scallop cut.

So far the most fun I've had on two wheels was switching to high octane fuel. I'd always put in 87 octane because it was cheap, but one day I decided to try some 91 to see how much better gas mileage I'd get. After I filled the tank I started up the bike and right away noticed it sounded like it was idling a little bit higher than normal. I figured this was from the fuel, so I ignored it. I put it in gear and took off as I normally would, no extra throttle or anything, and vrooooom! I can clearly remember going "Whoooa! Hahaaa!". I haven't used regular gas since, and my gas mileage hasn't changed but I think that is because I'm riding faster and accelerating harder because it is so much more fun.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrmm...interesting...all I've put in mine up til now is 87. Too bad I just filled up yesterday, lol.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're going to be on the highway and having a passenger and stuff in the sacks, 91 would probably make a good difference in ridability. Is that even a word, ridability? I think it is, but firefox is saying it is spelled wrong.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a word, just missing an 'e' - I would have spelled it the same way though, so it works for the purpose. :) I'll definitely try that with the next tank. If it improves the top end, then it would be worth every penny.

You ever make any big bike shows or events like Sturgis or Daytona?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I've only had my bike about a year and 2 weeks. Sturgis just doesn't seem all that appealing to me, its just lost its heritage that it had back in the good ol' days and now it is just a big sweaty drunk fest and is too commercialized. Daytona is is clear catty-cornered across the country from me, so it is just too far to go. I did a couple of poker runs last summer but that was it.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the big shows are a little extreme for me, too. I don't think it would be worth the trip to see a giant party. *shrug* Haven't done a poker run yet, I need to catch a local one and give it a shot. Seems like a cool idea.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if Hooters has a big sweaty drunkfest. I would go to that!!!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd go to that too, but from what I've seen of people I know and my uncle that have been to sturgis, it is all a bunch of morbidly obese people running half naked around drinking skunky beer and being obscene. Its kind of like burning man, it use to be cool when it was just a bunch of people that got together and hung out, but now you have to pay for everything and there are corporate sponsors and people trying to sell you stuff. Burning man was cool back in the 70s and 80s, but what it is today is the opposite of what it was back then, its no longer counter culture\alternative living\hippy thing that it use to be. I guess what I'm trying to sputter out is that this kind of stuff is getting to be too trendy and fashionable.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great suggestion to bump up to 93 gas. I finished burning through a tank and swapped over this weekend. I didn't feel much of an acceleration boost, but the engine's definitely running smoother and my comfortable long-term cruising top end climbed from 70 to 80. Every little bit helps. :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't tried 93, the highest I've gone is 91. For a motorcycle, it really doesn't cost a hole lot extra for the higher octane especially when you only have a 3 gallon tank.

I haven't ridden my bike in months because of winter time and moving half way across the country. My parents came up this weekend and brought it with them and dammit wouldn't you know it has been raining ever since. #$%&@@*&%!!!
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doh, sounds like my luck. I always miss the good weekends, and it never fails to rain right after I wash mine.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

This kind of ticks me off. My jeep is having some mechanical problems and I can't go over 40 mph in it which is problematic when you have a 20 mile highway commute (mostly just annoying) so I've been driving my wifes car to work. I was going to start riding my bike until I got the jeep fixed but it was raining this morning, now as I look out my window it is bright and sunny. It really never fails.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same for me. I put in 93 gas and my top cruising speed when from 170mph to 185 mph.

:-)

UPSGuy wrote:
Great suggestion to bump up to 93 gas. I finished burning through a tank and swapped over this weekend. I didn't feel much of an acceleration boost, but the engine's definitely running smoother and my comfortable long-term cruising top end climbed from 70 to 80. Every little bit helps. :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it isn't raining today, but it is only 32 degrees outside and foggy. I tried riding to work but I only made it less than a mile down the highway before I wimped out and went back home to get my wife's scooby. Thats the downside to living in the mountains is that it doesn't warm up until the middle of the day this time of year.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts