Moving to India

  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could an American, UK Citizen, etc, developer sell everything they own, move to India, setup shop, and live like a king as an outsourcing representitive ?

I'm being 100% serious here.

I have no ties that I can't pickup online, but I don't know how things are over there and I've heard too many stories about Americans selling everything, moving somewhere, and being murdered and forgotten.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8388
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if Americans sell everything, move and then get murdered and forgotten there, that would kill my desire to do that :lol:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally wouldn't do it. From what I understand, Indians and Phillipinos can be some bad dudes and when they find out about some green American they might get brave and try and make some money off you.

On a side note, I remember seeing the background on the word "thug" (as in a criminal or a small time hood). It supposedly comes from the Indian word "thugie" which is the Indian organized crime ring I guess.
  • ibrabdo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 29

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's depends on which area in that country u want to move to cuz everywhere there is a good places and bad places (even in the states), and I don't think u gonna get murdered and forgotten if u r going to India cuz there is always an American embassy everywhere, and also do believe everything u hear, for example I'm from Syria (in the middle east) and the first thing u gonna think of is that there are bombing everywhere and there r a lot of bad people and no American will even think to visit, but nothing happens here it's a normal country with a peaceful people and I have many America friends lives here and they r happy, so don't worry just do ur research before u go to India, and I wish u luck.
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 935
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
On a side note, I remember seeing the background on the word "thug" (as in a criminal or a small time hood). It supposedly comes from the Indian word "thugie" which is the Indian organized crime ring I guess.


You guessed wrong http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Thuggie - it's a very old religious cult that rose in fame during the days of the British empire. Their most common tactic would be to target a group of travelers and over several days innocently join the travelers 1-by-1 for 'protection'. After a few days the thuggies would out-number the original group and attack/strangle them.

Quote:
From what I understand, Indians and Phillipinos can be some bad dudes and when they find out about some green American they might get brave and try and make some money off you


A generalization so sweeping could be considered racist :roll:

Wish you luck Joebert, I always fancied South Africa myself.
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 84
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thailand is good for business. My partners father owns a mining company over there, he just found gold, so is trying to get permission from the Thailand government to mine it. But he'd never live there, he commutes from Sydney to Thailand about once a month for a week or so, and does the rest from home.

He also said India is a beautiful country if your not in the Cities.

Personally I would never move there. But whatever floats your boat.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1143
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm all for moving to new places. I don't think I would sell all of my possessions and pack up and leave without visiting the place first.

But if you've been there, have a general idea of what life will be like and how different it might be from your current lifestyle the only question you need to ask yourself is 'Are you ready?'

I think it's a good idea and I'm a strong believer of seeing and experiencing as much of the world as possible.

I just think you might want to check it out for yourself before you make such a drastic change.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I probably should have used the words "Thinking about" in my title.
I'm just pondering the idea of moving.

While I don't have any ties I can't attend to online, it would still take some very good reasons for me to up and move like that. :)
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1127
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love being in the US, and am going to apply to be a US citizen, BUT...I have found that it is just safer when outside the US to say I am Canadian and I am from Canada, than an American. Since I am Canadian it helps.

And no, people are not upset that the US is a big bully, they are jealous and upset that US people have bigger cars and better houses and they stick up for what they believe in, even if what they believe in is in another country.

Nobody is jealous of the snow in Canada.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prime wrote:
You guessed wrong


Damn! I could have swore I saw that on that "locked up abroad" show...

Prime wrote:
A generalization so sweeping could be considered racist


Really its only racist if thats how you interpret it. My grandma's best friend's deceased husband was a POW in the Phillipeans (spelling?) in WWII and they did some pretty bad stuff to him then, they have a history of brutality (so do Americans now that I think about it). And I know there is still a lot of international crime coming out of that area today, so in a way if you are a westerner traveling or living there all alone you would be putting yourself in the same danger as if you were in Somalia or Central America or Baghdad or anywhere else where a ransom could be had.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure it would be worth it. How long would it take them to undercut your price for service. Besides if you lose your Internet connection do you think you can call a cable guy and have it fixed in an hour? If you want to take shot a getting rich just go play the money wheel at the local casino.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8388
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
If you want to take shot a getting rich just go play the money wheel at the local casino.

I wouldn't do that
  • JVposter
  • Born
  • Born
  • JVposter
  • Posts: 3
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Could an American, UK Citizen, etc, developer sell everything they own, move to India, setup shop, and live like a king as an outsourcing representitive ?

I'm being 100% serious here.

I have no ties that I can't pickup online, but I don't know how things are over there and I've heard too many stories about Americans selling everything, moving somewhere, and being murdered and forgotten.


hello!

the india it is a country divided in 2 separated areas :
one civilized area with riches people
and the other one with only poor people only ...but be careful you could be killed for 5 $ here ... Indians from this area are very barbarians

regards,
  • rebecca16
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • rebecca16
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Could an American, UK Citizen, etc, developer sell everything they own, move to India, setup shop, and live like a king as an outsourcing representitive ?

I'm being 100% serious here.

I have no ties that I can't pickup online, but I don't know how things are over there and I've heard too many stories about Americans selling everything, moving somewhere, and being murdered and forgotten.

Oh yess! you can! and you will live like a king for the rest of your life, i have a friend who moved to a place called bangalore in 2003, and this fellow is not ready to comeback, earlier he was an employee with one of the big IT companies there. now he owns a company and doing pretty well. with dollar going down as compared to Rs. they are doing even better!
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 410

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Really its only racist if thats how you interpret it. My grandma's best friend's deceased husband was a POW in the Phillipeans (spelling?) in WWII and they did some pretty bad stuff to him then, they have a history of brutality (so do Americans now that I think about it). And I know there is still a lot of international crime coming out of that area today, so in a way if you are a westerner traveling or living there all alone you would be putting yourself in the same danger as if you were in Somalia or Central America or Baghdad or anywhere else where a ransom could be had.


OMG. You are being unfair. WWII happened a long time ago, my GOD!. One fact, even your country has a history of brutality. Facts are far more valid than opinion. You always say "I think", get your facts straight, yes there are some crime happening in the Philippines (See, you don't even know the spelling of the country but by the way you talk, it seems like you KNOW our country very well!) but it is not in a very alarming state and the government is doing something about it, crimes are present everywhere and the Philippines is not an exemption. Surely, There are a lot of foreigners, specially Americans are doing business here and some are already living here! There are a lot of companies outsourcing here in the Philippines. Considering you based judgment on opinion and not on facts makes your statement RACIST. May God rebuke your soul.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe I'll move to the moon instead.
It's probably going to be safe there for at least a few decades.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1417
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

My girlfriend refuses to go to America in case we get shot, blown-up or robbed. Which just goes to show how impressions are formed. Some people in other countries see the US a nation of drug-crazed, gun-toting gangsters and religious extremists.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zwirko wrote:
Some people in other countries see the US a nation of drug-crazed, gun-toting gangsters and religious extremists.

It's true, can't figure out why joebert would want to leave :scratchhead:
Besides, if there was a tech support company that spoke American english there would be no reason to have any help desk techs. :roll:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It's true, can't figure out why joebert would want to leave


It's not that I want to leave, it's that I've got the idea in my head that I could buy a lot more with every dollar I make while in India.
Then, there's always things like this to make me think.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would you be able to buy? Is India the new hot spot for cutting edge tech or are you just talking about house and food? It would be a huge culture change. The article lead me to believe that the immigrants that are leaving are doing so to get back to their own culture.
Plus, no offence, you seem to change your mind alot. It's kinda like the old saying "the grass is greener on the other side". Is there grass in India?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It would be a huge culture change

I live in Florida, the "melting pot" of America.
I meet someone from a different country every summer here. :D

Quote:
Plus, no offence, you seem to change your mind alot

It's not my fault, everything around me keeps changing ! :D
  • soapnuts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • soapnuts
  • Posts: 16

Post 3+ Months Ago

India is best place for business then America, because Visa process is easy. American embassy's are getting huge $ for visa processing fees and their rejection ration is high.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could always go over for a month to see if it is something you could see yourself doing.
At most it will cost you the flight and room and board. Small price for a possible future.
  • Wicked_Goddess
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 47

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the Place is good and you have many connections there, then why not? but as of now you should be sure of your safety before living there.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently Facebook believes I should be living in Seattle. :lol:
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5149
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd move to India for the food. I love southern Indian cuisine. :)
  • blueberry62
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blueberry62
  • Posts: 34

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can set up shop anywhere and outsource to India. You don't have to live there to do it. I would move somewhere like Costa Rica if you want cheap accomodations. You can still have a nice standard of living without moving across the world to do it!
  • blueberry62
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blueberry62
  • Posts: 34

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where do you live?

Zwirko wrote:
My girlfriend refuses to go to America in case we get shot, blown-up or robbed. Which just goes to show how impressions are formed. Some people in other countries see the US a nation of drug-crazed, gun-toting gangsters and religious extremists.
  • dark_lord
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 162
  • Loc: India-Kolkata

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I personally wouldn't do it. From what I understand, Indians and Phillipinos can be some bad dudes and when they find out about some green American they might get brave and try and make some money off you.

On a side note, I remember seeing the background on the word "thug" (as in a criminal or a small time hood). It supposedly comes from the Indian word "thugie" which is the Indian organized crime ring I guess.


In one stand up comedian show, the comedian was saying
out of every 6 person in this world, 2 are Chinese and 1 is INDIAN. so in another 50years probably 4 will be Chinese and 2 Indians :D either Americans/Europeans will deceased or they will marry another Indian/Chinese and thus they will have 1/2 or 1/4 American/European and eventually negligible? So don't hate/insult Chinese/Indians, maybe you had to pay later.
So stay as Americans, cause that would be the UNIQUE KEY on this EARTH after 50 years. :D

joebert wrote:
Could an American, UK Citizen, etc, developer sell everything they own, move to India, setup shop, and live like a king as an outsourcing representitive ?

I'm being 100% serious here.

I have no ties that I can't pickup online, but I don't know how things are over there and I've heard too many stories about Americans selling everything, moving somewhere, and being murdered and forgotten.


i dont think at this point of time that would be a good idea. people wants to go away from india and you are thinking to settle here?! Maybe you will live like king and yes dont think you will be shot at $5 if you become a successful businessman, it would require more dollars :D. But the point is, if you can establish a business over here and then you may move here permanently. consider me as the start point :D

JVposter wrote:
hello!

the india it is a country divided in 2 separated areas :
one civilized area with riches people
and the other one with only poor people only ...but be careful you could be killed for 5 $ here ... Indians from this area are very barbarians

regards,


so bad concepts...
and what do you mean by only poor people?! lol INDIA is only in 62th year of independence from BRITISH rule and it's them who robbed us. so we learn from them and appernetly looking now it's our turn. :D so be careful from an INDIAN
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1134
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
INDIA is only in 62th year of independence from BRITISH rule and it's them who robbed us.


Robbed is a bit strong...lmaoooooooooooo

The English agents of that period lived like Indians, intermarried willingly, and a large number of them never returned to their home country. There was also the French!

In 1717 the Mughal emperor, Farrukh-siyar (r. 1713-19), gave the British--who by then had already established themselves in the south and the west--a grant of thirty-eight villages near Calcutta, acknowledging their importance to the continuity of international trade in the Bengal economy. As did the Dutch and the French, the British brought silver bullion and copper to pay for transactions, helping the smooth functioning of the Mughal revenue system and increasing the benefits to local artisans and traders.

The British company employed sepoys--European-trained and European-led Indian soldiers--to protect its trade

Who was robbed? Does not seem like daylight robbery to me with both sides quite happy.

Jobert, I would settle in Malaysia if I was you.

S


:mrgreen:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 32 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.