Music and creativity

• Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I realized recently that whenever I'm not listening to music, my ability to draw, work in photoshop, code or anything else creative like that decreases dramatically. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else, or if I'm alone here. Who else does this, and is there a specific genre you listen to? Maybe you watch tv? Kind of pointless discussion, but I'm interested. :P
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lot of times I can't do stuff like clean my apartment and stuff without some tunes. For programming and stuff, it seems like any background noise helps me, like the tv or if I'm at work if the people in my office are having a conversation or something. Mostly I listen to hard rock, and some bluegrass and celtic type music.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol Kc.

<fun>
Cleaning house with music on.</fun>

You really do sound like your older than your age 22. :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's the other way around for me, it actually distracts me.

When I was a teenager I could tell you what song was about to play on the radio after a second or two, now almost a decade later, I couldn't name a single song on the radio.

I turned the radio on once awhile ago and was greated by some raspy voiced bafoon telling his fans how much he hated them by yelling
Quote:
Yah trick ! Yah !

I laughed for a good 15 minutes & that was the end of my curiosity about what they play on the radio these days.
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I laughed for a good 15 minutes & that was the end of my curiosity about what they play on the radio these days.

Ha ha... Yes. We are living in the Age of Supreme Intellect.

I listen to the radio to keep up with what's new, even though I honestly don't like 80% of what I hear. But really, I can listen to just about anything so long as it isn't suicidal or pointlessly trashy - that just gets on my nerves. Well... I suppose it can be pointlessly trashy as long as it has a good beat and I don't understand half of what they're saying... :hmm:
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

It all depends what I am doing ... While I am programming I love to listen to "30 Seconds To Mars" which to me is very chilled out music ... but while doing other things I love having a good helping of metal in my ears ... it keeps my heart-rate going ... but I always have music going ...
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it kind of distracting to have music playing in the background when I'm trying to get some work done.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
I love having a good helping of metal in my ears ... it keeps my heart-rate going ... but I always have music going ...

When I first read this, I thought you said that metal keeps your heart going. I was like damn, that's hardcore if you need metal just to survive :lol:

I agree with kc though, I like to have some sort of background noise while I work, and music is usually the best choice of background noise.
  • Eat Good

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snow is on Fire wrote:
I realized recently that whenever I'm not listening to music, my ability to draw, work in photoshop, code or anything else creative like that decreases dramatically. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else, or if I'm alone here. Who else does this, and is there a specific genre you listen to? Maybe you watch tv? Kind of pointless discussion, but I'm interested. :P

Your situation reminds me of the way some people feel when they're on the drug Adderall. Adderall is a medicine for those who have A.D.D. Adderall is a powerful upper, an amphetamine, and a little like methamphetamine though not as powerful. Adderall can cut down on a users ability to create. It helps those with A.D.D. focus on the task at hand.

In a sense, Adderall puts blinders on the user and lessens the chance of entities on the periphery from entering the users thought stream. That includes creative ideas. Or put another way, Adderall can unleash the frenzied assembly line worker out of the body of a pondering rocket scientist, mentally speaking. (I posted a link below that that illuminates all of this.)

I like this topic. And I'd like to see another one just like it, though inverted. I'd like to see what everyones favorite thing to do or place to be is, where creative ideas come fast and furious (relatively speaking) and seemingly from out of nowhere.

http://www.slate.com//id/2118315/
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

MUSIC GIVE NOW NEED *gasp*

:lol: I'm not that hardcore but I do love music. Metal and more Metallica... I'm Fad[e]ing to Black right now :lol:
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, now it reminds me of last night. (most of the time now) when I work with music on, I can't seem to concentrate well.

Study has shown that listening to music you know the lyrics can distract you to concentrate when reading, do some tasks you need thinking, perhaps some music light bg for example "new age" should be good.

There is this obstacle I face everynow and then when I run out of nice music to listen to, after listening to the same nice old songs many times. Any recommendations?( nice songs - sentimental, love, alternative & motivation songs )
  • justontime
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • justontime

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love to listen to new age music while relaxing or doing some work I need to be concentrated or just before gong to bed .
I would recommend you “Yosemite , Valley of Giants” by Mars Lasar
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

justontime wrote:
I love to listen to new age music while relaxing or doing some work I need to be concentrated or just before gong to bed .
I would recommend you “Yosemite , Valley of Giants” by Mars Lasar

I will listen to that, I promise.
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Must be a designer thing, I can't do anything without music. I get less done without it.
  • prakharmaheshwari05
  • Born
  • Born
  • prakharmaheshwari05

Post 3+ Months Ago

It happened with me also..
  • savantcreative
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • savantcreative
  • Loc: Long Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

I listen to music whenever I am doing anything creative or when I exercise. Creativity requires jazz for me and exercise requires rock.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

im pretty much always playing music. when im doing math homework though, i cannot play music.... but when im writing a paper or poetry or anything creative yeah count on music to be played. it is very inspirational sometimes, and other times mood amplifying, which i appreciate. music gets us into better moods and thus things are easier executed with a healthy mind frame.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts