Music Taste

• Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol mines at 400 now
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Songs = 446
Total time = 31:21:10
Avg. Song length = 4:13

and the sad thing is, with this massive playlist, I've had a song get played twice in a row on random.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol! Dont you just hate that?? I.....um.....have a confession. I had that happen, except it played the same song 3 times in a row. Instead of just checking if it was on repeat, I spent 3 hours trying to "fix" my computer. I luckily finally figured it out before I broke anything. ;)

(by the way, its ok to laugh at me about this story. I do it all the time :lol:)
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe we all do it!!
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I geuss thats a bit of a consolation.
:lol:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gots no playlist, I have got an entire wall of cd's with about 150-200 hours of music in total :D , and now for some good old hardcore industrial metal....
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

:p so would mine
  • MissJesse
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: East Coast, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
i listen to all kinds of stuff, nearly everything. My favorite bands though are Third eye blind and Green Day, i dont think anyone out there has a real favorite song

speak for yourself shatter2day :) sure they do - it may change from time to time. but people sure do. i have a favorite album of all time that will probably never change; 'dark side of the moon', but 'comfortably numb' will probably always be the favorite song - has been for about 11 years now ;)

cheers

ps: scuse the lateness of this reply - just noticed that post now :)
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like all sorts of music, from hardcore rap, to country to classical. But when it comes to the music I listen to, primarily it falls into two camps: Big Band/Swing Era and Punk.

Benny Goodman
Louis Armstrong
Ella Fitzgerald
Squirrel Nut Zippers (<-- One of my favorites)

I used to go swing dancing with my girlfriend (at the time, if my wife is out there anywhere!) quite often while I was in college. What a great time. If you've never tried it, you really should. It's a blast!

Bad Religion
ALL / Descendents (<-- My favorite band(s) above all others)
Pennywise
NOFX
Agnostic Front
Black Flag
Danzig-era Misfits (they're just not the same now)
  • Rascob
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rascob

Post 3+ Months Ago

I listen to all genres(except rnb and most rap) but mainly old rock and metal
Iced Earth and then the rest :)
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

My play list = 1474 i would have more but i did away with all my wma's blah But as my tast goes Metal/Rock and German Metal.
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

IH8Purple wrote:
uhh I like everything except rap (because it is crap)

How you can say that rap is crap is just plain ignorant. You have to appreciate that there are good and bad songs in every genre and even though I dont like Heavy Metal I can appreciate some good guitar work in heavy metal and compositions of some songs and the creativity. You need to open your mind a bit more and REALISE that theres good and bad in every genre.

:D
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo

Post 3+ Months Ago

My musical tastes are as varied as most young people's these days. I think the Internet and espacially file sharing has greatly enhanced the popularity of several genres of music and has made people listen to music that they would not have done otherwise. My tastes are still pretty much the same though, although I have grown to like and appreciate several genres of music in the past five years.

When Im at home I will listen to absolutely anything, although I prefer not to listen to heavy metal or country. Hip-hop and reggae are very popular genres in my book. I dont really like most 'pop' music although if its a catchy record and I like the sound of it I will listen to it. Buying the stuff is another matter.

Being an amateur producer and DJ, I love all the sub-genres of dance music ranging from house to techno to drum and bass. I have a preference of older rock over the newer stuff and also like ambient music to chill out to.

I also like the old funk and soul records and also the old electronica stuff. IMO the term genres in music is like different nationalities and colours of people; they all have their different characteristics but at the end of the day it is just different instruments being used differently to create differetn sounds that have been made to be liked in the first place.

I challenge anyone that says they 'hate' a certain genre of music - its like saying I 'hate' all chinese people, because you are going on the assumption that all music from a particular genre sounds the same, in a way that some people may think that all chinese people are the same.

Sorry to go on a bit but this things very close to my heart.

Happy listening!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

go uzzo wooooo :D lol.
I really hate the people that say "I like pop" or "I like the music in the charts". That has to be the single bad answer to the question what music do you like. Or maybe to a lesser extent saying just one genre: "I only listen to Metal". Grr narrow minded people annoy me

Just out of curiousity, those of you with huge playlists, what percentage of those songs are legal? (as in you bought and still own the CD - or you paid royalties for the d/l or however that works)

Just wondering? :wink:
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
Just out of curiousity, those of you with huge playlists, what percentage of those songs are legal? (as in you bought and still own the CD - or you paid royalties for the d/l or however that works)

Just wondering? :wink:

627 songs. 0% of these songs have been bought or are owned on CD or payed royalties for.

I still buy CD's and support the scenes that I am most into.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

RTM: Let me start by saying, I like pop. :twisted:

Quote:
Grr narrow minded people annoy me
lol @ those with perspectives absolute. ;)

Once upon a time I did d/l in an unauthorized fashion, but I have gone to great lengths to replace those with legit copies. Recently, I purchased the entire "50 First Dates" soundtrack for 1 song, as an example. There are some mp3's that I have recorded myself from television, radio, and other sources - they are not available commercially, to my knowledge, and I don't redistribute them in any fashion. I'm don't understand this to be illegal...(?) It seems quite the same as recording a show on your VCR, to watch later.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
RTM: Let me start by saying, I like pop. :twisted:

nonononono, but you don't just like pop. It's when people say they just like one genre

Quote:
There are some mp3's that I have recorded myself from television, radio, and other sources - they are not available commercially, to my knowledge, and I don't redistribute them in any fashion. I'm don't understand this to be illegal...(?)

Just because something is there in front of you and is not for sale, does not mean you can have it. This principle extends to music, video, software food, cars, houses and animals (even the really cute ones) amongst other things. Thats the way I see it.

Really? So If I was to write a piece of code (just as an example most people here can relate to), It is available for anyone with a computer to see (it's on my site), but I choose not to make this code available to buy. Does this mean anyone can then use this code for their own personal use - as long as they are not redistributing it? Interesting (scampers off to find a site run by dm to steal all his coding mwahahahahahahah :twisted: )

If you look at my previous post you would notice that I actually have more legit tracks on cd than anyone has posted as their playlist number. I'm not saying that all people will large playlist got them illeagally, and I'm not saying that it isn't possible to have a large, legit playlist, but I'm willing to bet more people with mp3's are d/l ing than not.

I'm not attacking anyone I'm just curious.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

the pop thing: all in good fun :D

Actually, I would say yes. When I look at someone's website, the client-side code/HTML is cached on my hard-drive. I personally look at that kind of stuff all the time, I learn from it, some times I save it places other than my cache if I intend to do a more thorough analisys later. When I go to apply those lessons, I don't cut and paste, I re-write it from scratch (It's almost never exactly what I want anyway.)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thats not the same thing now is it. If you had gone and rewritten the music from memory and rerecorded it.....

I'm not sure what the law is on copying music from the telly if it is not available for sale. I can't see that it isn't protected by copyright though.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

well they'd have to come confiscate my VCR ,then. My wife has many illegal copies of Oprah, Days of our Lives and Dr. Phil.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually thats an interesting point. I'm sure in the UK we have a thing where you are allowed to record stuff off the telly but you have to erase the tape after one year.

They do come and check up y'know :wink:

As I said I don't know what the legality is - I do know that anything you create gets copyright by default but I know copyright law is hazy at best.

I'm still not attacking anyone, but I am curious about the other people's playlists.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yes, I think it's a very legitimate question. I know many people like myself who have put the effort into getting their collections up to snuff. Like you indicated, these laws have fuzzy edges and their applications aren't always apparent.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I know what you mean, the only reason I don't have any mp3's ripped from my CD's is because I have a stupidly expensive Hi FI in the same room as my computer so there's no point. This HI FI is also the main reason I don't d/l and keep mp3 files.

I'm not critisising anyone - from time to time I download music (to try before I buy) or films (usually in the time between I have seen them at the cinema and the time they get released on DVD). This is 100% illeagal, but I always try to buy "proper" copies or delete the file asap. Thats my justification of it, which is no justification at all.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, Im gonna be the oddball here it seems. I like:

Phil Collins: i have every one of his CDs
Smooth Jazz: Saxaphones just slay me :D
70's and 80's music: Im into the oldies I have no idea why :P
R&B: by artists like Usher, Mariah Carey, Whitney Housten, Alicia Keys (wish she would date me :D), Eve, and so forth. I do like Nelly though
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

first off let me start by saying... if I d/l songs it is completely legal :D

however, the only songs I have downloaded are ones that I have heard off the radio.

all my other songs were either purchased by me, or one of my friends (this argument was bound to start sometime right? :roll: )

one means of justification:

I have a group of about 8 friends that share music this way, and although the artist does not get the funds he/she/it deserves, in retrospect, there is only 2-3 songs that anybody wants on a cd anyways...

so if 8 people wat 2 songs, that is 16 songs... so we go buy a 16 song album.
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My top five bands:

Tori Amos
Nine Inch Nails
Alkaline Trio
Brand New
Pink Floyd

dM, proud to see you still have my song in your playlist, how cool! :grin:
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alan: Good to see you!!! Yup, still got it. :) I have another one of your tracks, too. It due for rotation into the playlist soon.
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Alan: Good to see you!!! Yup, still got it. :) I have another one of your tracks, too. It due for rotation into the playlist soon.

Yeah, I've been gone for a while, not so much free time anymore. Remember those GUI's I was designing for the orchestral software? Well, that company flew me from Chi-Town to Seattle for a job interview and a chance to do some intern work learning how to program their software... so things have been busy, but going very good!

I hope to get a chance to visit more here, as you guys are a really great resource...
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I download music a bit (not as much as others) but that's when I hear a song somewhere and just want to listen to it. Alot of the music I downloaded, I have the song legaly and/or later bought a legal copy, I just don't want to fire up a music listening device and just to hear one song, when I could just have it on my computer (I don't ahve an mp3 player)

The music I like is pretty braud, anything from Bob Dylan (what I am listening to right now) to fleetwood Mac, to nirvana, to led zeppelin, to queen, to annie lennox, to neil young, plus so much more.
  • lanacode
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lanacode

Post 3+ Months Ago

My favorite,
I would have to say the sound of african drums would have to be the favorite. I like ladysmith. I used to be into blues and rock but ive found african drumming is awesome.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 63 posts