Need help with making 128 bit login screen

• rubahneck
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • rubahneck

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need help creating a free 128 bit login screen for my web site.
it needs to support multiple usernames and passwords
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could you clarify a bit more? From what I understand it sounds like you have a protected area on your site and you need a program that would allow you manage multipler users and passwords from database so you can choose who gets access or not. Am I correct?

Also I am not sure how familiar you are with protecting you area, but are you interested in protecting you area simply by forcing someone through cgi wrapper program (as in how you enter your username and password to login to ozzu)? or would something like using a built in authentication such as what you can do with apache work? Like by using .htaccess files to create a box that prompts up. You can see an example of what I am trying to say here:

http://www.unmelted.com/protected/members/index.htm

See how it pops up a box? However you would still need a program to manage the users and passwords if you wanted to do it that way.

Anyway as you can see I am not exactly sure what you are looking for, so maybe if you could be much more specific I can help you solve your problem.
  • Grover160
  • Born
  • Born
  • Grover160

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm new here...I know I PM'd someone...kinda don't have the hang of this forum thing yet, but I still need help. Please help me......I am going crazy trying to do .htaccess!!! I have the 3 folders already set up: .htaccess; .htpasswd; .htgroup ; I have put the group and passwd files into a folder outside www. And I put my access file into the folder of the pages I want protected. Am I missing a step? OR Do you have another way..either way PLEASE HELP :cry:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, you seem to be doing some of the stuff right, but what is really important is what you have in these files. You must write these files in a particular way. Also to be able to use the .htaccess file you must be on a server in which your host will allow you to use them. Also you must make sure you are using a webserver that supports .htaccess files.
  • Grover160
  • Born
  • Born
  • Grover160

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help. It seems after all my hardwork I had the scripts right. I found out I had to be using UNIX(don't know if that is the correct spelling) and I am on Windows.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup Windows wouldnt support it. A UNIX based system using Apache would support that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts