Need Some Career Help!

• usman_arif
  • usman_arif

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Guys!
How Are You?
My Name Is Usman Arif And I Live In UAE.
I'm In 12th Grade And Studying Pakistani Syllabus(i.e. FBISE). My major Subjects Are Maths, Physics And Computer Science. While I Was Searching For Engineering Universities I Came Through This Website.
I Need To Have Some Career Advice From You All. I Am Interested In Doing Either Telcommunications, Electrical Or Software Engineering. I've Been Looking In Canada For Universtities, One Of Them Was Carleton University. My Father Called Them Today. Unfortunately They Said That For Engineering The Prerequisites Are Maths, Physics And Chemistry(Too). This Is The Real Issue. I Dont Have Chemistry As My Major. What Should I Do Now? Does This Means I Cant Do Engineering? So Kindly Please Help me On This Issue. It Will Be Really Grateful Of You All. Waiting Eagerly For Your Replies.
Best Regards.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's the prerequisite in Canada. What about Europe? I heard it costs less there too.

Otherwise, I would go with telecommunications.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

usman_arif wrote:
I Am Interested In Doing Either Telcommunications, Electrical Or Software Engineering.

Do you mean Telecommunications Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Software Engineering?

usman_arif wrote:
Unfortunately They Said That For Engineering The Prerequisites Are Maths, Physics And Chemistry(Too).

They said for "Engineering"? I think it is going to depend on what Engineering.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Regardless of what engineering field you go into, you're going to have to have a solid math background. If you go into mechanical or electrical engineering, you'll need physics. For software engineering, you'll need computer science.

There are two very distinct math domains within engineering as well. If you go into mechanical or electrical engineering, you'll rely heavily on calculus and differential mathematics. In software engineering, discrete mathematics, set theory, and graph theory are much more relevant.

I don't know much about telecommunications.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't let that stop you from doing what you want, check other options first.
  • usman_arif
  • usman_arif

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
usman_arif wrote:
I Am Interested In Doing Either Telcommunications, Electrical Or Software Engineering.

Do you mean Telecommunications Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Software Engineering?

usman_arif wrote:
Unfortunately They Said That For Engineering The Prerequisites Are Maths, Physics And Chemistry(Too).

They said for "Engineering"? I think it is going to depend on what Engineering.

Yes! Either Of Those Three Engineering. I Choosed These Three Because They Do Not Require Chemistry, As Far As I Know.

Umm! They Had Prerequisites Of Every Program At Their University And For Engineering They Were Maths, Physics And Chemistry.
  • usman_arif
  • usman_arif

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
That's the prerequisite in Canada. What about Europe? I heard it costs less there too.

Otherwise, I would go with telecommunications.

Umm! Haven't Been Through Other Universities Of Europe Actually I Was Very Much Interested In Doing It In Canada Particularly Because Of Its Co-Op System.
  • usman_arif
  • usman_arif

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Regardless of what engineering field you go into, you're going to have to have a solid math background. If you go into mechanical or electrical engineering, you'll need physics. For software engineering, you'll need computer science.

There are two very distinct math domains within engineering as well. If you go into mechanical or electrical engineering, you'll rely heavily on calculus and differential mathematics. In software engineering, discrete mathematics, set theory, and graph theory are much more relevant.

I don't know much about telecommunications.

Hmm! Thanks Alot!
But My Question Is Still The Same, I Really Don't Get It, What Will Be The Benefit Of Studying Chemistry(In High School Or College) For One Who Wants To Become A Software Or Computer Engineer?
  • usman_arif
  • usman_arif

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jenie0109 wrote:
Don't let that stop you from doing what you want, check other options first.

I Hope It Wont. =)
Umm! Other Options? Could You Explain It?
  • Chuck2
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to give you the blanket old person reply but :) Learn everything and anything you can right now. You are so young (that's a compliment)and what you think your career path is now, could and probably will change through the years.

Good luck in everything you do.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, chemistry isn't all that difficult, and if you have the intelligence to pursue an engineering career, then you can certainly handle learning chemistry just fine.

As far as why they require chemistry? I don't know the actual reason behind it. The school advisors could probably give you the correct answer, however, (with the possible exception of software) I would have to imagine that you would have to have some understanding of the materials used in the specific field, e.g. molecular structure. Thinking in terms of electrical and telecommunication I would hvae to imagine you'd have to know what metals provide the best conductivity, etc, and to know that you'd have to understand the chemical construction of the materials.

An example from my own company. We deal with radioactive materials. Some of our engineers work solely with repairing motors form nuclear power plants. They have to not only know the construct of the motors, but have to understand the radioactive aspect as well. Even the paint that is used on the motors has to have a certain molecular composition to be Service Level 1 and they have to have some understanding of that.

Software engineering would be one of the only ones where I couldn't possibly think of a reason why you'd need chemistry, but it certainly wouldn't hurt you to have it regardless.
  • usman_arif
  • usman_arif

Post 3+ Months Ago

Chuck2 wrote:
I hate to give you the blanket old person reply but :) Learn everything and anything you can right now. You are so young (that's a compliment)and what you think your career path is now, could and probably will change through the years.

Good luck in everything you do.

Thanks For The Complement, Appreciate It!
Hmm! Thanks. :)
  • usman_arif
  • usman_arif

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
First of all, chemistry isn't all that difficult, and if you have the intelligence to pursue an engineering career, then you can certainly handle learning chemistry just fine.

As far as why they require chemistry? I don't know the actual reason behind it. The school advisors could probably give you the correct answer, however, (with the possible exception of software) I would have to imagine that you would have to have some understanding of the materials used in the specific field, e.g. molecular structure. Thinking in terms of electrical and telecommunication I would hvae to imagine you'd have to know what metals provide the best conductivity, etc, and to know that you'd have to understand the chemical construction of the materials.

An example from my own company. We deal with radioactive materials. Some of our engineers work solely with repairing motors form nuclear power plants. They have to not only know the construct of the motors, but have to understand the radioactive aspect as well. Even the paint that is used on the motors has to have a certain molecular composition to be Service Level 1 and they have to have some understanding of that.

Software engineering would be one of the only ones where I couldn't possibly think of a reason why you'd need chemistry, but it certainly wouldn't hurt you to have it regardless.

Yeah, It Is Not That Difficult But The Problem Is That I Didn't Took It As A Major. I'll Have To Waste A Year If I Have To Take It As A Major Now.

Hmm! So Does This Mean I Could Do Software Engineering? And If Yes Then Could You Please Provide Me The Names Of Universities Where I Could Do It With These Subjects.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Usman_arif,

Software engineering is a new discipline. Usually, I learned that it is something to do with Master programme after which you have completed your Computer Science course or Information Technology related course. That time, you may go with master in "Software engineering" maybe.

Now, I would (non-course expert advice) advice maybe you go with degree in computer science, a course you may do in many places or countries.

Cheers. :)
  • usman_arif
  • usman_arif

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm! Thanks Alot!

I Want To Know With These Subjects Which Engineering Could I Do And Where?

Please Help Me With It! :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts