Network Card in Linux [PLEASE HELP ME]

• chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed Red Hat 8.0 on my pc. I can't get the thing to set up the network card. I have a netgear FA311 and have downloaded the drivers off my other windows pc and put them on a disk and then put them in the driver folder and still no luck, please help me! thanks chris
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you were in the setup phase for Redhat, did it not setup your network card then? or did it complain about anything? Usually during the setup phase it will detect all that stuff for you so after installation you should be pretty much ready to go. (That is if you entered all your network information as well during setup)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the exact same network card by the way :) Well in one of my computers here.
  • chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

i never asked to set up a nic card. only moniter, mouse and keyboard. how can i set it up, i would love to use linux like i once did XP. thanks so mcuh
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you chose to setup Redhat at the begining, what type of installation did you choose? Like workstation? or server? or custom?

Also as I recall whenever I setup redhat, it always asks for information about setting up the network. Maybe you should try setting up the server again just in case you missed it.

If your server does recognize the modem you could probably just configure the network. Do this to see if its recognizing the modem. Watch exactly what happens when you boot up the system and see if you see any information ever displayed on the screen about the modem. If you do see information it is likely that it is recognizing your modem, you might just not have your network setup.

Finally are you using the graphical interface or the console interface for Redhat? I am guessing the graphical one since you said you want to use it like you used XP before.
  • chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personal Desktop [Graphical], and it didn't set up the modem i manually did because it had the driver all ready installed.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

How did you have the driver already installed if you were just setting up Redhat? Or did you mean you manually set it up after you installed Redhat? Anyway when you boot your system you do see the modem being recognized?
  • chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, there is nothing about a modem...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay try this... open up a console in redhat (if you don't know how let me know) and then obtain root user and type in this command

/sbin/ifconfig

Once you type that paste the contents here that it outputs.
  • chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

it said no installed viexer
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is exactly how it said it? I would think it would at least give something back. What are the exact words it said?
  • chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Nautilus has no installed viewer capible of displaying '/sbin/ifconfig'"
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay type this now in your console:

pwd

and tell me your results.
  • chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

gives me the same error...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

How are you running your console? I have a feeling you aren't in a console. Please tell me the exact spot you are entering this command and how you get there so I can help you. Thanks.
  • chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

i will log in as root
then i will double click on the "roots folder"
then in put it in on the address bar
  • chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

i that it was the "explorer" looking window, but i guess i was wrong. i appreciate all ur help... i can do anything in windows, but linux i know nothing... how would i get to the consol sir. thanks
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that is not the console. I haven't used Redhat 8+ yet so I am not sure if there is a console button on the bottom anymore. Anyway a console will look something like if you were to type cmd in the run box in windows. You would then get a black box come up where you could type commands like cd somedirectory. Then maybe dir to list the contents, etc.

Anyway you need to find that same thing in Redhat. There used to be a button on the bottom, but if there is not you might have to find it in what you are used to as the "start menu". Once you find the console then those commands I said previously would work.

On another note you might watch this, it may help you just a bit:

http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/fl ... at6_5.html
  • chrismeadows
  • chrismeadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey thanks alot... its too much work, i think im just going to puch it aside until i can get it to work
thanks
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, haha, once you get past your few problems, redhat really is a nice O/S. I like Redhat most for the server environment however, I still use Windows XP for my personal computer because there are so many more programs to choose from. As far as stability, linux (redhat), is far more stable and is the best solution in my opinion for a server.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts