A new business has my URL name & I'm getting traffic. ????

• Justin_SLC
  • Born
  • Born
  • Justin_SLC
  • Loc: Salt Lake City

Post 3+ Months Ago

So a restaraunt opened up and it has the same name as one of my old websites. This old website of mine has been doing nothing and getting maybe 5 hits a day if I was lucky. Now I'm getting about 30 per day with people typing in my URL. 80% of these people are from the city that this restaraunt is in.

My question is what would you do with this website now? I emailed the restaraunt to see if they would like to buy the name from me, but they didn't respond. Is it legal to change the website entirely, so it is about restaraunts? I guess I'm not sure how to go about this little windfall. Any ideas would be great! Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

They might be weighing their legal options for forcing you to turn over the domain name if they haven't responded. I have no idea if they can just take it from you, but silence often means there's a lawyer around somewhere.

Does the resturaunt have gift certificates or anything you could sell on the website for the time being ?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you had the site opened before they opened the resturant, then they can't do crap....
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just leave the web site exactly the way that it is the reap the benefits of the extra traffic.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redirect the domain name to another website you own that would be of interest to people. Not always the preferred option by alot, but if this domain (which i assume is doing nothing) is getting regular traffic maybe you could get some of them to check out your other site. If the other site is really good they might like it and word of mouth will attract more.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Redirect the domain name to another website you own that would be of interest to people. Not always the preferred option by alot, but if this domain (which i assume is doing nothing) is getting regular traffic maybe you could get some of them to check out your other site. If the other site is really good they might like it and word of mouth will attract more.

That is sneaky, but I like it ... And as jflynn said ... it already is your domain so there's not much they can do about it really ...
  • Justin_SLC
  • Born
  • Born
  • Justin_SLC
  • Loc: Salt Lake City

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for your replies! I also forgot to mention that I am also getting hits from search engines from the restaraunt name. If I redirect the traffic I might get lost in the search engines for that. Do you think I would get in trouble if I made the website about restaraunts and put up google ads? I did put up affiliate links on the top of the page selling tickets to that cities baseball and football teams. No sales yet...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

By all means, get some paid click advertising and cash in. You had the domain first and if they want to buy it then sell it to them if the price is right. Never argue about it if your site is getting more traffic than usual, unless it is totally flooding you of course.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol what?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts