New Forum Laws!! Warning !!!

• eautocad
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Spring Hill, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you read this crap yet? I couldn't believe it....

http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/new-je ... um-posting

New Jersey Assemblyman Peter Biondi has introduced legislation that would essentially ban anonymous forum posting, and which would hold forum hosts liable for defamatory statements and injury made on their forums!

In its legislative introduction, the synopsis of the law says that it “makes certain operators of interactive computer services and Internet service providers liable to persons injured by false or defamatory messages posted on public forum websites.”

Yow!

Those “certain operators” will be those who fail to require those posting to their forums to register a real name and address, or who fail to disclose that information to those who feel that they have been defamed on those forums.

The law reads, in relevant part:

“The operator of any interactive computer service or an Internet service provider shall establish, maintain and enforce a policy to require any information content provider who posts written messages on a public forum website either to be identified by a legal name and address, or to register a legal name and address with the operator of the interactive computer service or the Internet service provider through which the information content provider gains access to the interactive computer service or Internet, as appropriate.

And:

“An operator of an interactive computer service or an Internet service provider shall establish and maintain reasonable procedures to enable any person to request and obtain disclosure of the legal name and address of an information content provider who posts false or defamatory information about the person on a public forum website.”

There is speculation that this bill is in response to anonymous posts regarding Biondi’s own Hillsborough township, and indeed Biondi himself, on popular NJ.com.

Of course, such a law would have wide-reaching effects, and not be limited to those only in New Jersey.

Any person using forums in New Jersey would be at risk of having their identity disclosed if they registered their real name and contact information. Any person operating a forum in New Jersey even if they live somewhere else will be at risk not only if they don’t require registration, but even if they require registration and the person lies during the registration process! That language doesn’t say “must require”, it says “must require and enforce“! And if you live elsewhere, but run a forum in New Jersey, that would meet the “doing business in” test for New Jersey to exercise jurisdiction over you!

The only thing open to question if this law passes is whether someone who lives and operates a forum outside of New Jersey would have sufficient connections to New Jersey to allow for prosecution if someone in New Jersey is able to post to that forum; and let me tell you folks, reasonable minds can differ on that one given the nature of the Internet, and interstate commerce.

Let’s hope that the good folks of New Jersey give this one the old heave ho.

After all, there is no requirement for you to register your name and address before speaking in the public square. Why should the Internet be any different?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

complete rubbish..... people have such strange ideas about the internet....

Quote:
After all, there is no requirement for you to register your name and address before speaking in the public square. Why should the Internet be any different?

exactly!!!

although thinking about it - I don't really see how such a law would even be enforcable...........
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see how you could enforce that either ... what are these people going to do ... write you a letter? There are just too many forums on the internet to make this happen ...

And then onto my second part, how would they establish wheter a forum is bieng run in New Jersey and what does that mean? Does it mean that the forum is hosted in NJ or does it mean the forum owner stays in NJ or does that mean that the forum is about NJ ...

This is absolute bull-crap ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

New Jersey is only a speck on the Earth, there's plenty of other places to host these things.

I don't mean to cut New Jeresy down by calling it a speck, I'm just trying to make a point. :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone should make a site cataloging the absurdities of "proposed" legislation. I'm sure it would be voluminous and funny.

I wonder if someone has already? :scratchhead:
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sure it's being done as we speak :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now I'm confused, what's the Library of Congress for again ? :scratchhead:
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Now I'm confused, what's the Library of Congress for again ? :scratchhead:

Someone would have to filter out the boring ones. :)
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, I guess the 1st Amendment doesn't matter at all anymore..........
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a heck of a lot of the U.S. constitution that hasn't mattered in the past 8 or so years.
</political-squabble>
  • ArTsYwRiTeR
  • ArTsYwRiTeR

Post 3+ Months Ago

rriiiiigggghhhttt

as if that will happen! *roll eyes*
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
wow, I guess the 1st Amendment doesn't matter at all anymore..........

The 1st amendment only guarantees the right to say something, it doesn't guarantee nobody can sue you for saying it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol... it also dosn't guarantees you the right to post whatever on forums.

This legislation is a bunch of loaded crap. i don't even understand what they will accomplish with that.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

loaded crap? Is there a gun I don't know of?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm warning you - this crap is loaded and I'm not afraid to use it :D
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:

I've used that threat against my roommate before... his bedroom is right next to the bathroom.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

[rant]
The first amemendment is supposed to cover "all" sorts of speech including written..... I tell you, I'm wanting to turn Canadian more and more each time something like this happens... "Land of the Free" my a$$!
[/rant]
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahaha ... excellent.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Land of the free? yeah right, free to control your minds

My friend's MSN messenger status thingy ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:

Apparently that's what the government is doing
spork wrote:
celandine wrote:

I've used that threat against my roommate before... his bedroom is right next to the bathroom.

:lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts