new member looking for advice

• tallaght spur
  • Loc: dublin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright all,
just came across the forum and decided to join.
basically here's my prediciment. I've just graduated from my ma in interactive multimedia and am lecturing in director and photoshop. at the moment to pay the bills. i want to further develope my knowedge with programmes but am unsure what i should know to benifit myself getting a job in the digital design domain.
i have got the MX package and wish to know what each of the programmes do and what should i be concentrating on teaching myself. i have set myself a deadline of 5/6 months to develope my underestanding and ability to use two or three more programmes.
please lend me some advice
as always.... thanx in advance
tallaght spur
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if you are "only" set on learning graphic designing programs I suggest the these if you don't have them already.

Adobe After Effects
3DS Max 6
Adobe Illustrator
Bryce
Corel Designer
Lightwave 3D
Ventura

I don't know really.. I don't know but maybe 1 or 2 of thoughs like After Effects, Illustrator, and 3Ds Max. The others are just ones that I have heard about from other people or I found interesting. But, really If you can't do it on Adobe or Macromedia programs than you it can't be done at all. I wouldn't suggest learning too many programs. Really, you need to find the ones that work best for you and only pick one for each category like 3D, photo editing, animation, ect, ect.. But, Adobe and Macromedia have the best reputations and way more well known to be amazing programs so my advice is to stick with them. The others will always be a Question Mark..
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

depends on what you want to do. for anything 2D, Adobe has the industry standard: Illustrator, Photoshop, etc... Id go with Illustrator 10 and Photoshop 7.0.1. The CS isnt necessary by any means. 3D id go with SoftImage or Lightwave... it'd be good to learn 3DStudioMax, Bryce, and Maya.

Why, I mean, what kind of digital design? There are so many fields...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, photoshop CS is mostly for high-end photographers working with RAW files. It doesn't give many advantages over PS6 & 7 for regular designers from what I've gathered.
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

photoshop 6 was obsolete, they just made new packages to be "cool" lol =P wanted to have the marketing power like macromedia had is all...
  • Alderak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia, Vic, Melbourne

Post 3+ Months Ago

One that i havent heard here that i use is Jasc Paint shop

It is very user frindly and very easy to uuse. HAs anybody else tried it? Its not a profensional designing program but its good for making web graphics

luck all
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

starqueen wrote:
photoshop 6 was obsolete

Still works GREAT for me :)
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know, hehe. i have 7 myself, the only thing i can say is better are the brushes and how theyre setup. its very reminicient(sp) of painter. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts