New to Php

• Magnus
  • Magnus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all, I have NO idea where this thread fits in on this forum. Anyway, I just signed up for a php forum. I have a board on the BbBoy boards but there are too many things I don't like (such as their admins having more power over a board I pay for then I do, including the power to kick me out as admin) so I'm switching. The problem is I know NOTHING about php boards other than being a poster and mod on a few. I don't know what codes I'll need to learn. How to install hacks, nothing. I'm completely green and need help on where to begin. I was just getting the hang of Css and Html when we decided to move. Any ideas on where I should start? I'm desperate. I looked over this forum and must say you guys have scared the heck out of me with how knowledgeable you all are, I don't think I'll ever get it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CasTiger
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

So i take it your looking for new message board software script ?
:idea:
Here's some you should check out :-

http://www.invisionboard.com/

http://www.phpbb.com/

http://www.vbulletin.com/

http://www.yabbse.org/

All the above forum scripts are good ones and it's up to you what you think might be the best for yourself.
You should also be able to find lots of help for all the above !
  • Magnus
  • Magnus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks CasTiger for the response. I've been to all of the boards you've listed and do know that we've decided on a phpbb2 board. As for scripts.....um, I'm so green I have NO idea what that means and it looks like French to me (I stunk in French in college should have stuck to Spanish since that's what I took in HS :? ).

Is there like a glossary of terms or something available *looks around.* I've been reading the phpbb board and they scare me as much as you guys do :cry: . I was up till 4:30 this morning on that board and learned nothing :cry: (didn't understand most of the words). I'm getting the idea that I'm on a board full of men who know what they're doing, so if I use my feminine (don't let the name fool you) wiles I wonder if I'd get help out of the woodwork (not that your assistance isn't appreciated greatly CasTiger Image you're a gem and I look forward to more feedback from you :wink: ).

Any more suggestions? Is there like a php for dummies board or something around? I think I fit the bill.... :oops:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might check out one of these resources on PHP:

PHP Tutorials
PHP Books

Never hurts to read through a few tutorials or beginning books if you want to understand some of the concepts.

You might also check out some of these for the basics on how CGI works

CGI for the NON Programmer
CGI Programming 101
  • Magnus
  • Magnus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, thanks for the info and links. I didn't even realize there were hardcopy books available. I thought html and css books were the only ones available (just bought one of each a month ago). I printed out the PhpBB2 User's Guide hopefully that helps as well.

From what I've seen so far in the links you've provided, I think I may have a chance if I get the right books and ask around when I get lost. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. *walks away happy to be of the female persuasion since gentlemen always tend to help when you need it most :wink: *
  • CasTiger
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

The websites Bigwebmaster has given you should get you started, but you might also want to bookmark this site :-
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/
:wink:
You'll be able to get some nice looking templates, mods and graphics for your message board from the above.
  • Magnus
  • Magnus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks CasTiger. I'm registered there already. As a matter of fact I think I may have gotten the link for this board from there. They scare me also *sad but true.*
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Magnus,

When I first started using phpbb2, I had no clue what I was doing either. The hardest part is making sure your domain meets the specs, in other words, primarily it needs to support php3 or higher and SQL.

The hardest part for you will probably be editing the config.php file to connect to your database, but the instructions are very clear and if you follow them to the letter, it should work as long as you have the correct username, password and database info that is needed.

After that it's pretty much a matter of learning how to use the Administrative features in the Administration Panel. The board pretty much works on it's own and you don't have to edit any code if you don't want to.

However, after diving in and trying to learn this programming language I have found it truly facinating and it has already helped me in understanding other languages even better.

The worst that can happen is you screw up and have to delete it and start from scratch! *lol
  • Magnus
  • Magnus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feedback ATNO. After my first attempt at changing the Bbboard that I have now I know that after I get accustomed to the workings of the phpBB2 board I'll want make changes. I'll have to remember to save, save, save so I won't have to start from scratch. :lol:
  • Magnus
  • Magnus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions/comments to this topic. My forum is up and so far our members (well those we moved over *1 post at a time mind you*) LOVE it. I really appreciate ALL of the suggestions and comments offered they really ease my fear of setting up and running a phpBB board.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts