New Sexual harassment Law???

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
SB wrote:
To be honest, by default i almost feel as though i'm in favour of Scottish Independence so we break away from the United Kingdom and start a fresh with a government who actually gives a damn about the country it is governing.

Thanks for your thoughtful post, SB. Yes, I read the whole. :P

Lord Acton wrote:
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

I don't see how one can quantify and measure corruption in any government. Yet, even without a unit of measure, I believe that righteous_trespasser is correct in his allusion. For all it's slick, slimy, etc., stuff the governments of the western world pale in comparison in the illegality and sometimes brutality of less developed countries and some countries who have taken different paths of development.

I, for one, believe in democracy and a government based on constitutional/parlimentary law. My understanding of history tells me that it's the best thing going. Living in a democracy doesn't mean you always get your way. It doesn't mean your candidate/party always wins. It doesn't mean that what is common sense to you will be common sense to all. It's one of those double-edged swords. Perhaps I'm an optimistic fool, but again, the historical alternatives aren't really alternatives. The beauty about constitutional/parlimentary democracies is that they can be changed - in total and in parts.

As for an independent Scotland, I am not well versed in the current situation, however I do have some understanding of the historical one, mostly based on military history. The history seems to be fraught with peril.

I'm not sure I see how it could really work on a fundamental level. Would you need a passport to cross the border into England? Would you have your own military, intelligence and civil defenses? Would you have your own welfare and health care systems? Is the United Kingdom going to cordially hand over 1/3 of it's land mass and associated revenue? Imagine the impact a sovereign Scotland would have on Northern Ireland. Again, I just don't see how this would work.

I appreciate what you are saying. I think i should reiterate the "To be honest, by default i almost feel as though i'm in favour of Scottish Independance" part. I'm not necessarily for it, but i would like to be given the opportunity to hear from our politicians what they are thinking about with the regards to the issues you have mentioned there DM. As it currently stands though in order for the public to have any say on the future of our country there must be a majority vote within the parliament from the politicians to decide on whether we can do that. I think this is silly, however if that is the way it is.

I didn't want to get into a great deal of depth here, but in order to explain how it works i sort of have to. Basically, back in May 2007 the Scottish public voted in favour of a part which is for the independance in Scotland. There were 3 main parties in the election and each took a share of 127 (there about) seats in the parliament however neither party took more than 50% of the seats in the parliament which meant that there was no majority vote. The political party with the highest amount of votes won. Basically, neither of the other two main seat holders are going to back the Scottish National Party to allow the public to vote on our future. If one of the two other parties were to support the SNP's plight then there would be a vote sometime in 2010.

Like i say, i'm neither for or against Independance however i'd like to be given the choice and all the real facts. Pro's cons etc etc for this discussion.

This topic is now way off, so i do apologies Penguin.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that does explain things better. Thanks for that. I'm going to read up on this as I've always been interested in the UK.

Sorry if I seem to take you to task on the issue, but, here in the states, there is a huge segment of our culture that seems only devoted to complaining and whining. Frankly, I'm sick of it. That part of our society likes to display it's ignorance like a magenta party hat at a convent.

So, SB, I guess I'll have to exclude you from that lot as you seem to have given this some good thought. :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everyone should see SLC Punk.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I watched that movie in a hotel room in SLC. :)
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have seen that before :P
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Well that does explain things better. Thanks for that. I'm going to read up on this as I've always been interested in the UK.

Sorry if I seem to take you to task on the issue, but, here in the states, there is a huge segment of our culture that seems only devoted to complaining and whining. Frankly, I'm sick of it. That part of our society likes to display it's ignorance like a magenta party hat at a convent.

So, SB, I guess I'll have to exclude you from that lot as you seem to have given this some good thought. :)

Yeah, i fully understand where you are coming from. I appreciate you taking the time to read and understand it. I don't know if it made alot of sense.

It's silly, but not many things i feel so passionate about and interested in. I really got fed up with politics until the elections last year. Whilst i still feel negative with regards to the politics in the UK, i do see a glimmer of hope from this other party. Although it could be that they are just bull *plum* us like all the others but in a smarter way.

So, sexual harassment topic anyone? :lol:

I actually feel quite bad.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Come to think of it, how the hell can you call a single instance of someone coming up to a bartender & saying something like that harassment ?

I can understand if the person goes on about it all night, but just walking into the place and saying such a thing once is probably just someone trying to be friendly.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Indeed thats what I was thinking, Its just stupid.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

They generally teach out harassment here in Canada as an act that continues after it has been asked to cease. A single instance, if it passes, is retarded.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 39 posts