New Sexual harassment Law???

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was watching a Television talk show not so long ago and I was confused and mabye supprised at a new law that could be coming out.

A new sexual harrasment law In Pubs / clubs it was talking about ( But I think it covers all work places)

EXAMPLE

Say someone was to walk into a pub or club and say to the bar staff ( female ) Can I have a drink darl... Or can I have a Drink Love.

People are taking this as sexual harrasment.

The new law states that It will be down to the employers to make sure that their staffs work envirmoment is sexual harrasment free.

Do you think that those two above examples come under sexual harrasmment? And what do you all think about this new possible law?

I think it could be hard to re-enforce and I think that " some " of the Law is getting pathetic.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is retarded!
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want the 50's and 60's back. Our parents and grandparents (and I'm assuming some members here) grew up in that time, and they turned out fine. Enough of this politically correct bull *.
When is flirting going to be illegal?
Cookie Monster is now the Celery Monster and kids aren't allowed to hug in school.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

People are just to damn sensitive anymore. Instead of just taking it in stride or maybe just plain saying "I don't like that, please stop." they have to go whining and complaining just because you have to be fair to everyone. Well guess what: life sucks, get over it!
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

And another thing, If this happens when the law comes in the employees can file a lawsuit on the employers.

It really is getting stupid. Like people have said its getting so silly it would not supprise me if we have a law for saying " Good night " and " good morning " :P
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yet another reason i'd love to just like to live out in the sticks where civilisation is few and far between.

I think the worst thing about all of this is there seems to be very few good law changes or improvements. It feels almost as if we are in an advanced form of dictatorship in this new modern society. I won't hold back from saying that i completely despise the UK prime minister and on a more personal note i'm very much pleased of the current government in Scotland.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree on your thoughts about the current UK prime minister, I would much rather have Tony Blair back, But that could start a whole new debate all together.

Saying that I think The Uk has one of the most corrupt goverments on this god dam planet, But again thats just my opinion on the matter.

If I remember correctly another stupid law is that, You are not supposed to call " Black Boards " black boards, They are " CHALK BOARDS "

And you are not supposed to say Black bin bags, They are " coloured Bin bags "

Some of the law in this country makes me laugh...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is kind of a double standard with a lot of this stuff. It is not ok for this group of people to say or do something, but it is ok for the person standing right next to them. As long as we are having sexual harrassment talk, we can talk about other stuff too. Our local firefighters have these physical tests (all firefighters do) and they have to run a mile in a certain amount of time and stuff like that. The men have to perform better than the women, but that is how it always has been since the beginning of time. But just recently they changed the rules so that the women can run even slower and lift less, whereas the men have to work harder to pass the physical. I'm not sure why they did it that way. And you mentioned race, it is alright for a black person to call another black person a n... but if a white person or someone else says it they are going to get shot. Everyone is so worried about being fair that they are neglecting to see the obvious things.

SB wrote:
Yet another reason i'd love to just like to live out in the sticks where civilisation is few and far between.

Me too, in Montana, Clark Fork River valley to be exact. In all of Sanders County, Montana, there is less than 80 miles of paved road and not a single traffic light.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess that is saying something. I like to think i'm still relatively young at 22. If the younger generation in this country feels the way we do which i believe it does, then what does that say about things? I just can't get my head around why anyone would want to move here and live...it's certainly beautiful in Scotland (not sure about England) and the scenery can be worth it, but the cost of things is just painful.

Sorry to keep touching on this as it's unrelated, but in Scotland as you'll no doubt have heard there is the topic of Scottish Independance being discussed quite frequently nowadays. I'm not for or against the idea, however with our main political parties squabbling away at some silly minor details with regards to the topic there is only one party that is actually doing things to improve not only the country but the faith of the people that live here. The Scottish National Part, whom actually brought up the whole Independance debate seems to have gone up in my rankings since being elected last year.

Heck, one of the best and most promising news stories of late (all be it a small one) is the price of NHS prescriptions coming down in price with the aim of nullifying the cost by 2011. It makes no difference to me at the moment, but rather than charging people more for something they have a right to for free they are actually taking away the price. There are also no tolls on roads or bridges in Scotland now, which had Labour still be in charge here i'm sure would have remained or improved considerably.

I guess while i generally dislike the UK government as a whole, i'm seeing some positives here. But it's still a heck of alot more expensive and i don't see that changing in the next few years. I don't think there is any "Westminister government" party that i could trust or believe in. Politics is a joke, and it's no wonder people are not voting in this country.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before I start this SB yes your still young dont panic lol. But the younger generation ( my age ) like you say, well most of us do share the same opinion as you adults.

We also see the lack of trust between the public and the PM / MP's

The thing on the firefighter is crazy I dont even want to get involved in that.

Now for the NHS. My opinion of this is low, And I will share something with you.

The current PM ( Gordan Brown ) Has a problem with one of his eyes, He gets treatment for his eye for "free"

One of my Nans who has the same issue has to pay for the same drug that this man gets for free. To some it may seem as though I am thinking from a selfish point of view here, But I am just putting forward that some people almost seem second classed.

And We All know about the extra benifits that MP's And The PM get that are not fair on the normal members of the public...

And I think bringing the Royal family into this subject would be a bad idea so I wont...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if that female is my wife? Hey love... what? Sexual harassment charge? :lol: If that's so than I probably can say that haha

Anyway, there are still a lot of laws out there that are just plain weird. For example...

It is illegal to operate a vehicle blindfolded in Alabama

In California there is a law that guarantees sunshine to the public

In Florida "When having sex, only the missionary position is legal."

Kansas prohibits shooting rabbits from a motorboat.

Louisiana
It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol. :lol: haha

In Nebraska It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

At New York the penalty for jumping off a building is death. :lol: hahahahahahaha You gotta read them all... it's liker reading jokes... Most of them [I hope] got canceled.

[SOURCE: http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part01.html]
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never heard that Nebraska law before. Every bar I've been to here (in Nebraska) I never saw any soup, maybe they had it in the back room. Very funny.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to offend anyone here, but, if you are all so put off by the laws that are applied to you in your areas, then why don't you all become legislators? Or campaign against the people and parties you've found wanting (...and I mean going further than putting a lame bumper sticker on your car)? Or get involved with a political organization that pushes the issues important to you?

I don't assume to know what your current activities are, but surely proactive participation is far more constructive, realistic and intelligent than what amounts bar room grumblings - aka whining.

The power of any government is derived from the acceptance of the people being governed. Sitting around complaining and not taking any action is a form of acceptance, IMO.

Also, I'm compelled to point out that if you feel as though your life is devalued by bureaucratic stupidities, you might want to glance through a history book. I think you'll find that most of us in the western world really don't have it so very bad, in spite of our sometimes fumbling, often greedy, law makers.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

Please tell me how they manage to enforce such a law :P

DM: As for your comments although it is not much I have sent a letter to Gordan Brown about the issue I had with the NHS, I also got signitures from local support groups for the Blind to support my points of view.

I Have also Emailed / Wrote to my local MP. That was about the " Blue badge scheme "

So Yes I am doing my part about it....

Yes It is true we have not by any means got it the worst. But it could be better I guess. Our goverment is for one thing and one thing only, And nope it is not looking after their country its all about the " money "
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
Quote:

Please tell me how they manage to enforce such a law :P

Probably the same way the law prohibiting lap dances is enforced, it's not.

Now and then a lawmaker gets robbed by the strippers here so they make some stupid law to ruin it for everyone to spite the stripper. A year later the only people who remember such laws even exist are the people who made fun of them.

We have events like "Toys for tits" when Christmas rolls around, trust me when I say the law you quoted isn't what it appears to be. :lol:
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

o.0 I was looking at it and I was like urrrm that sucks hahahah. Yeah those lawmakers suck lol :P
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lawmakers rule.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not all of them...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Not to offend anyone here, but, if you are all so put off by the laws that are applied to you in your areas, then why don't you all become legislators? Or campaign against the people and parties you've found wanting (...and I mean going further than putting a lame bumper sticker on your car)? Or get involved with a political organization that pushes the issues important to you?

I don't assume to know what your current activities are, but surely proactive participation is far more constructive, realistic and intelligent than what amounts bar room grumblings - aka whining.

The power of any government is derived from the acceptance of the people being governed. Sitting around complaining and not taking any action is a form of acceptance, IMO.

Also, I'm compelled to point out that if you feel as though your life is devalued by bureaucratic stupidities, you might want to glance through a history book. I think you'll find that most of us in the western world really don't have it so very bad, in spite of our sometimes fumbling, often greedy, law makers.

:thumbsup:

Nicely said. I'm bored of people complaining about things and you say to them, well did you write to your local member of parliament and they look like :shock:

Most people don't even know who their local member is who represents them in government. Go get educated already people thats what they are there for to take your thoughts to the big guys!!
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
But just recently they changed the rules so that the women can run even slower and lift less, whereas the men have to work harder to pass the physical. I'm not sure why they did it that way.

Not that it affects me, but the United States recently lowered their physical requirements to get into the Army. The Army. Not enough qualified people applying? Give them incentive, don't let in all the idiots.

Then again, I guess all they need is someone to carry out what they want with the least questions asked.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
digitalMedia wrote:

:thumbsup:

Nicely said. I'm bored of people complaining about things and you say to them, well did you write to your local member of parliament and they look like :shock:

Most people don't even know who their local member is who represents them in government. Go get educated already people thats what they are there for to take your thoughts to the big guys!!

I did, I just failed to get a reply on one occasion :P
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

well write again and tell then you want them to write back!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't waste your time writing lawmakers.

If you feel that strongly about it, go to law school, if after that you still feel strongly about it, you'll have the tools to get something done. :D
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

aye but not everyone can go get a law degree. you can still have a voice without being one of the policy makers.

this is why there are elections, the people voice their opinion on who will represent them the best.

just my 2c of course but then we have a much more interactive government structure than the USA. here everyone must have a say at election time and everyone can freely access their local member of parliament to put forward ideas and opinions to government.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
aye but not everyone can go get a law degree.

Why not ? :D
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe Musik was thinking about Robin sharma, she doesn't want Penguin to end up selling his ferrari/ laptop.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
Saying that I think The Uk has one of the most corrupt goverments on this god dam planet, But again thats just my opinion on the matter.

hahahahaha ... haha lol ... lmao ... Then you need to come anywhere to South-Africa or Zimbabwe for two weeks ... look at a place like Zimbabwe ... that place is corruption Central ... and then here in SA aswell ... You have no idea ...

But anyway, back to topic ... maybe the person saying "beer please love" is Gay, and that is the way he/she talks ... what type of lawsuit would that make, on the one side you have someone sue-ing for sexual-harassment, and on the other side you have a person sue-ing because of discrimination against gays ...

//I'm not saying that gay people talk like that, or that straight people don't ... This was just an example of where this could go horribly wrong
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You do raise an interesting point DM.

Do you want to know what i think with regards to writing letters to MP's? A complete waste of time.

I can't and won't go into a great bit of detail here, but my father hs unfortunately discovered very VERY unfairly what loyalty and commitment means nothing to several government and public backed organisations. He is currently going through a very expensive legal situation which has no doubt cost him hundreds of thousands of pounds (i base that on legal fees and loss of income) because of some bastards who somehow managed to change the legal system in favour of themselves. I mean, if i ever could just tell you what it is and show you the evidence i don't think anyone here would believe how corrupt this whole system is.

Because the organisation in question is being funded by the tax payer with there (i imagine) severely high legal fees it was obviously a matter in which was brought up to several local MP's. Countless amounts of letters were sent all eventually coming to nothing. They just didn't care, the case in question was too big for them to deal with and by taking it up they would have not only lost out on that "big promotion" but they would have had to devote a considerable amount of time dealing with it.

It is an easy life for MP's here, and when Penguin was talking about the government here being "Corrupt" i don't think he was too far off from the truth. Before Gordon (not Gordan, Penguin) Brown became our Prime Minister through the back door (I certainly wouldn't have elected him, even if he is Scottish) there was numerous things going around telling everyone of things that he authorised and hid before becoming PM. I just don't like the guy, and while i feel so strongly about it i don't think there is anything i can really do other than discuss it wherever.

Now, if you've just skipped all of that then i wouldn't blame you. However there is just one more thing i'd like to bring up with regards to all of this. It may not seem it, but i don't lose sleep thinking about these sorts of things and to a certain extent most of the time i don't even care to think about it. One thing that does bother me most days and probably will until such time as things change is the fact that every single day I personally wake up and thinking about things i always fail to see any sign of it changing. As i mentioned previously, i don't trust any political party here in the UK other than (to an extent) the Scottish National Party. This is my only major gripe, i just don't see any positives coming from this for along time. To be honest, by default i almost feel as though i'm in favour of Scottish Independance so we break away from the United Kingdom and start a fresh with a government who actually gives a damn about the country it is governing.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
To be honest, by default i almost feel as though i'm in favour of Scottish Independence so we break away from the United Kingdom and start a fresh with a government who actually gives a damn about the country it is governing.

Thanks for your thoughtful post, SB. Yes, I read the whole. :P

Lord Acton wrote:
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

I don't see how one can quantify and measure corruption in any government. Yet, even without a unit of measure, I believe that righteous_trespasser is correct in his allusion. For all it's slick, slimy, etc., stuff the governments of the western world pale in comparison in the illegality and sometimes brutality of less developed countries and some countries who have taken different paths of development.

I, for one, believe in democracy and a government based on constitutional/parlimentary law. My understanding of history tells me that it's the best thing going. Living in a democracy doesn't mean you always get your way. It doesn't mean your candidate/party always wins. It doesn't mean that what is common sense to you will be common sense to all. It's one of those double-edged swords. Perhaps I'm an optimistic fool, but again, the historical alternatives aren't really alternatives. The beauty about constitutional/parlimentary democracies is that they can be changed - in total and in parts.

As for an independent Scotland, I am not well versed in the current situation, however I do have some understanding of the historical one, mostly based on military history. The history seems to be fraught with peril.

I'm not sure I see how it could really work on a fundamental level. Would you need a passport to cross the border into England? Would you have your own military, intelligence and civil defenses? Would you have your own welfare and health care systems? Is the United Kingdom going to cordially hand over 1/3 of it's land mass and associated revenue? Imagine the impact a sovereign Scotland would have on Northern Ireland. Again, I just don't see how this would work.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
well write again and tell then you want them to write back!

Musik the fact is it really does not matter how many times you write to them, most of the time they will just ignore you still.

As for getting a degree in " Law " yes It would be good. The only thing is I am tied down by alot of other courses that I want to be doing, thats if I dont join the army.

All I will say is - I want Tony.B back as PM :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 39 posts