New tutorial in the website design forum

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys,

I've "blessed" this forum with the very first tutorial I've ever made. I put quotes around "blessed" because I haven't the slightest clue how I did. It could very well be worthy of condemnation. If you've got time It'd be appreciated if you could take it for a test drive and let me know how I did.

The tutorial

Give me a rating between 1 and 10 on these categories if you could, and I'll try to make the proper adjustments:
  1. Detail
  2. Thoroughness
  3. Accuracy
  4. Readability

Also give me the reason for the score in each category.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

At first glance it looks well organized and easy to understand. I like how you have lots of screenshots, makes it easy to follow along. As far as the titles to different sections, I like how you kept things interesting and made it kind of amusing to read. In my opinion that keeps the user interested in reading, nice job there. I don't have time at the moment to really read through it (had a long day, bout to go relax), but my first impression is that you have done great.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Detail and and Thoroughness are probably close to 10s. There's lots of screenshots and lots of big words.

I can't comment on Accuracy, I use Fireworks rather than Photoshop. :)

I have to take points away from Readability because of the long paragraphs. I'm on a 1440 widescreen and I'm still seeing 4+ line paragraphs.
I see 3 line paragraphs on this 1440 screen and can't help but think about how much work is going to be involved with reading it all. ;)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good tutorial. I am actually looking forward to part two.

I wondered though, would it not make more sense to have the download file at the top of the tutorial so people can work it as they go if you know what i mean, rather than being tempted to read then get to the tutorial files?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good tutorial. I am a little curious as to why you posted in HTML Tutorials over Digital Art Tutorials.

Either way, good job.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll work on rewording it a little to shorten the paragraphs and make kit a bit more readable. I didn't even think of putting the .zip as an inline attachment at the top; very good idea!
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, I was extremely tired when I posted it in the HTML forum. I do intend on doing a follow up on it that more accurately correlates with the html forum entitled "How to clean up your Photoshop slice mockup in Dreamweaver" or something to that effect. I suppose these 2 should belong to the digital art forum :/
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'll work on rewording it a little to shorten the paragraphs and make kit a bit more readable.

I wouldn't even do that much. Just adding a few double line breaks within some of those longer paragraphs after a period would do wonders. :)
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

will do

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts