Nokia Announces Lumia 920

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
As one of the first Windows Phone 8 devices to be officially announced, this device augments Espoo's line with a larger, curved 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ display, dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU, 2,000mAh battery, NFC, integrated wireless charging and an 8-megapixel rear PureView camera capable of 1080p video. The display packs WXGA (1,280 x 768) resolution, is 25 percent brighter than the next best panel on the market and it's the fastest LCD that Nokia has ever shipped on a smartphone. What's more, the screen also boasts what Nokia calls "Super Sensitive Touch," which promises to let you use it even when wearing gloves or mitts.

(emphasis mine)
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/noki ... -s4-cpu-wi

The wireless charging and (finally!) NFC support just sound awesome. Although no carriers have been announced yet, I'm REALLY hoping this makes its way into T-Mobile stores. I'm up for an upgrade in October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_Z7_kJ3_g
  • sergeyL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sergeyL

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is really awesome, i am a big fan of Nokia and i am looking forward buying this model of phone. i hope that in reality it will be as on this video, but what is the concrete date of realise?i read that it will be in septemder but how soon?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having the iLife for a few years now and that still looks good.

finally nokia is catching up, after they lost their position in Australia too.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shares in Nokia actually dropped after the announcement of this product. That's not normal, and yet more worrying news for the company that is struggling to compete.

Unfortunately for them, many big manufacturers are due to make announcements soon with Apple expected to announce the iPhone 5 within the next couple of weeks. This Lumia is going to struggle to compete against some of these competitors, regardless of the fact that it has Windows 8 on it. Samsung and Apple have such a huge grip on the smart phone world right now that it really will have to be something spectacular from Nokia to make this one work.

With that said, i do like the idea of wireless charging... mainly because i am intrigued as to how this will actually work. If it is as successful as it should be then it may be the technology that every electrical goods manufacturer will want to bring to their products. That's certainly not a bad thing for Nokia.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i will add that the older generation still supports nokia strong and weak tech people from their simple layout's. may not be the case anymore as they have been forced into a market they did not want be in the first place but if they pull it off they will make bank for once in the last 10 years.
  • pawpoint
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that part of the problem is that they were caught out by deceiving the public in their promo video. The camera shots depicting the huge difference in using a Nokia system were actually proven to have been taken from an SLR. Not a wise move!. Apparently you can see the reflection of a cameraman in a shot of a window as the actors cycle past.
  • Mattgonzales
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mattgonzales

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I have a Nokia Lumia 710 mobile phone and have to say that I am satisfied with both the phone and Windows Phone 7 OS. I am even developing an own app for the phone. It is a VoIP app done according to a guide that also offers code examples (in case you are interested in app development for Windows Phone 7 Google on: "Windows Phone 7 Development - voip-sip-sdk"). The only thing I do not like about the phone is that it will not get the Windows Phone 8 OS upgrade. I will wait and see what features are included in WP 7.8. Later I will probably switch to a Windows Phone 8 OS mobile maybe to Lumia 920.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Both the Samsung Galaxy Siii and the upcoming Nexus 4 from Google have wireless charging... Also, is it just me or does it have some iphone looking features? The SIM card dock for instance, the microphone, speaker and charging slot layout...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wireless charging is going to become commonplace on most smartphone models within the next couple of years, probably sooner. Honestly I'm surprised that it took this long for it to be adopted, and even more surprised that Nokia is [one of?] the first to build it into the device (the S3 requires a special adapter).

Since this thread make a sudden comeback, if anyone happens to pick up a Lumia 920, I'd love to see a hands-on review. I'm with T-Mobile so I'll likely be grabbing the HTC 8X for my next device, which also looks to be pretty promising.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The wireless charging has not been included up to this point because the system used for wireless charging was somewhat bulky, which required a smaller battery. Plus the charging times for wireless were much slower. Apple apparently had explored the option of adding it all the way back on the iPhone 4, and decided against it. I was thinking Apple may include it on the i5, but apparently they still weren't satisfied with it. It'll be interesting to see how the battery life and charge speed are compared to a similar phone.
  • kemcar031
  • kemcar031

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is super cool, just waiting to use it, feels great to think even.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Poly wrote:
The wireless charging has not been included up to this point because the system used for wireless charging was somewhat bulky, which required a smaller battery. Plus the charging times for wireless were much slower. Apple apparently had explored the option of adding it all the way back on the iPhone 4, and decided against it. I was thinking Apple may include it on the i5, but apparently they still weren't satisfied with it. It'll be interesting to see how the battery life and charge speed are compared to a similar phone.

Interesting. Seems like including wireless charging in the iPhone 5 could have really helped it's adoption.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts