Not supported~

• Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many of the properties, tags, attributes or whatever aren't supported by internet explorer. Should I be using a different browser to be a serious web-designer? Any suggestions? I'm assuming people will say Mozilla, but I've always hated it. Seems pretty essential for CSS. If I'm using code that isn't supported in internet explorer will it be useful, since many people won't see what it was meant to be? Will clients care about this?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use latest firefox because that is what most tech users would use in windows. which is a large portion.

But you need to have browser comparability for several browsers if you have a wise open audience which all the code can be found everyone across the internet.

this is a process that you need to know before building anything as you need to make sure that the marketed audience is going to be happy first time they visit.
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

One more question:
Are there any imperative things in html that I need to make sure I learn? I'm pretty sure I got everything in this tutorial, but I don't know if the tutorial covers all. Off the top of my head I've learned:
Forms;Tables;Meta(titles/author/refresh/cookies/etc);basic tags;CSS inline,external and internal;links;img src;div;id's/classes;forms.

If you think of anything I need to check out and learn, please let me know. Specifically, what will be necessary for professional web design. I'm moving on to CSS now, so this pertains to html coding only.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you cover a w3schools test?

and read over all the html css content

then you can start on javascript and master that :)
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I've been working on w3schools thanks to your recommendation 10 days ago. I took the quiz on html but it didn't cover much. I didn't see a test, I'll check around. I started CSS last night. I think it might be a little more complicated.
I got 100% on the html quiz though. It really didn't cover enough though for me to be sure.

Also, I use the hexadecimal system for colors. Is this the way you would do it, or do you use the color names? I kind of like that system, because I think it will give me more range and accuracy once I master it.
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, and the biggest thing. Do you use an html editor. Html5 I guess it is, or do you just do raw coding without any assistance programs? I assume they make it quicker, but I'm reluctant to use one, especially while learning. But, do professionals use them?
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

We do use editors and while learning I would keep doing what you are doing, by not using an editor your learning skills that later when you start using an editor are enhanced because of the hand coding you did. I believe it makes you more aware of syntax errors .

I learned using notepad and the first job I got we were forced to use notepad to hand code html css javascript and php? This was so we didn't rely on the color coding of the program and the quick additions some programs do.
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also with you mentioning HTML5 there are many tags that are listed on the w3schools site that are HTML5 tags and since HTML 5 is an emerging technology IE like always is behind the curve. most of those tags and maybe even all of them might be supported by IE when the get there act together and push for HTML5 compliance.

current status of HTML5 compliance http://html5test.com/results/desktop.html
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, I need to learn in this order. I know I need HTML, then CSS, then Javascript.
Do I need php after that?
There are also some others listed on w3schools.
Jquery
xml
aspnet
sql.

Then there are more like:

CSS3
HTML DOM
AJAX
JSON
Google API
ADO
VBScript

There are some more after that. Are all of these relevant?
Which of these do I need to learn, and in what order?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts