Not trying to be a jerk...

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

but my god it annoys me when people post threads that have no discernible consistency in grammar or spelling. It's as if their cognitive thought process is being whipped in a blender before spilling out onto the forum. And there's a big difference here between people who don't natively speak english(I'm not discriminatory) and people who are just too lazy to write anything that's remotely decipherable. At least you can piece together the idea of what someone is trying to say in English who generally speaks a different language; at least they try (and usually succeed). Is it really so much to ask to have a subject and a predicate in a sentence?

Grrrrrrrr

Okay, I'm done ranting.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

First challenge - identifying if the person is a native English speaker or not.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually in a general sense, most who use English as a secondary language get spelling right and grammar close enough for a native english speaker to interpret the rest.

m more rephring two da peepl who spll lik this.

Absolutely ridiculous, and that's as close a rendition as I can come up with, in reality these people do a far better job of making it worse.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It actually violates our posting rules to use "chatspeak" here. We make every effort to catch those and warn the users.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Second challenge: when you are making a post to complain about how people post in forums, be sure to use proper capitalization and punctuation and sentence structure as well.

mindfullsilence wrote:
but my god it annoys me when people post threads that have no discernible...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually that wasn't the beginning of his sentence. The sentence began in the subject and was continued in the body and "god" does not necessarily have to be capitalized.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know, I was just being a smart ass.

//its better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I know, I was just being a smart ass.

//its better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass!

lol

@mindfullsilence: I hear you... Most of the time, I just skip those posts and go on to something more understandable.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right on bogey, stick it to the man.

@kc0tma
Quote:
Second challenge: when you are making a post to complain about how people post in forums, be sure to use proper capitalization and punctuation and sentence structure as well.

hahaha, funny.

ATNO, really the ozzu team does quite well with keping chat speak out of the forum. I'm more talking about when a sentence structure is completely reversed or is missing several vital pieces. I don't know, I was just cranky the other day and felt like venting. :|
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing that most times the stuff you're talking about is the result of bots which take posts from other threads/forums and post an automated rewrite of the post.

If you look around the Internet for the phrases "copyscape passed" and "article rewriter" you'll find a lot of stuff about it. :)
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow that's interesting. Never heard of such a program. What would be the purpose? Getting more pages cached by google?
  • OmMEGGA
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Allen,TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence, I don't want to be a jerk either... But come on! Don't criticize people about their grammar when you can't use one correctly either. The truth is non of us write perfectly. English is a second language for me and I only use it for roughly 6 years. Before that, I knew 0%... absolutely nothing (First language is Polish)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
wow that's interesting. Never heard of such a program. What would be the purpose? Getting more pages cached by google?

Some blog and site owners use it to increase the amount of content on their site, they're generally the ones worried about the phrase "copyscape passed".
On open discussion boards, the rewritten articles/posts are usually accompanied by links embedded into the post or signature links by someone looking for automated ways to get backlinks for search engines. They may be getting reposted by someone in India/China/etc, but chances are it's something automated.
Sometimes people use it to disguise "cookie stuffing".
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OmMEGGA wrote:
mindfullsilence, I don't want to be a jerk either... But come on! Don't criticize people about their grammar when you can't use one correctly either. The truth is non of us write perfectly. English is a second language for me and I only use it for roughly 6 years. Before that, I knew 0%... absolutely nothing (First language is Polish)

Actually if you reread the initial post, you'll see that mindfull has no real issues with people like yourself where English is not your native language. In fact, you quite supported his/her argument. What you posted was quite understandable and really very good for someone who does not speak or write English as their prime language.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

@OmMEGGA
Pretty much what ATNO said, here's my stance on people who speak English as a secondary language, quoted from my previous post:
Quote:
Actually in a general sense, most who use English as a secondary language get spelling right and grammar close enough for a native english speaker to interpret the rest.

Honestly you did just as I stated; spoke intelligently, with proper sentence structure, spelling, and grammar. What you said was very readable and understandable.

Again I haven't any issue with people who use English as their secondary language, they do great. It's people that speak English as their primary language and can't for the life of them understand that a sentence needs a noun and a verb.

What I do like about ozzu is that I rarely come across this.

An example of what I'm talking about; pulled off of a thread in a different forum website:
Quote:
This code of program calendar, but lacks some features? I mean, today we present a different color

Example: Monday, April 10, ten on the background changed color red

1 - there 4 line of code to add this features
2- any one can solution?

WHAT????!!!! :D
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Go to YouTube.
2. Select a video. Any video.
3. Read comments.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahaha, no kiddin.
  • OmMEGGA
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Allen,TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see. Just don't get me wrong. LOL I totally understand you. :-)
To some degree, I think it's laziness or maybe trying to be cool... especially on MySpace. I can't understand a word what some people write. It's amazing how their brains work. I myself use abbreviations but only when I text with my Girlfriend. Lets say u = you , k = OK, aight = alright, you know what I mean. But when people use this on forums, it really irritates me too. I go APE $HIT sometimes. LOL

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts