Obama on health care

• mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Whoa, hang on. So you guys have to pay if your wife has a baby in a hospital?

Maybe i am just used to the National Health Service we have in the UK, but i find that completely wrong.

Dude: one of the best stories I have heard here is about private policies that will only pay for hospital care during birth for ONE HOUR after admittance, because the insurance company is trying to avoid "abusers" who show up like a day early or something. So women were waiting in hospital parking lots for their water to break.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah. I get exactly where you're coming from UPSGuy. Are they the type to brag about it behind closed doors, to which you just want to slap some sense into them but you can't ?

Quote:
You guys are missing my point completly.

I DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR YOUR HEALTHCARE.

I'm not sure it's so much that people are missing your point, as it is just agreeing with you through silence. It kinda goes without saying sort of thing. I don't think anybody wants to pay for anyone elses stuff. At least not all of the time. :)

Quote:
So think of nationalized healthcare like Tricare for everyone instead of just the military.

Would be nice. I'd get my hand looked at tomorrow. It might even create a boom for the number of people getting into medical school to fill the demand.

If nothing else, I think the nations laborers should be included. The Military is provided with health care like that no doubt because they put themselves in harms way. Laborers are doing the same, granted laborers don't have people actively trying to kill them, they still get hurt trying to better the country though. It's not like everyone in the Military gets into it just because they want to save the country, if that were the case there wouldn't be all of those incentives to join. :)

Actually, we should make a list of all occupations in the USA. From that list we need to make two columns. One column for the occupations that make a living by making the country a better place, another column for occupations that make a living by taking advantage of others AKA capitalists. Non-Capitalist occupations get health care, Capitalist occupations don't.

Capitalists will just raise the price of other things and lower wages to account for the change, but at least people who put themselves in harms way for any reason at all can do so without worrying about their health.

If Capitalists were smart, they'd be jumping all over this healthcare for everyone stuff. Happy healthy employees work better.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
I DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR YOUR HEALTHCARE.

that is what nationalized heathcare is about. my taxes helps you remove a kidney. i don't care about your kidney. i care about my money being in my pocket (unless i donate to a charity or something i believe in, which i do from time to time)

I don't want to pay any taxes. Its that simple, but it is also a fact of life. Taxes happen unless you're going to go totally underground and live like Abbie Hoffman or Alexander Supertramp.

In Montana we don't have sales tax and property taxes are super low, and you can tell it through the services. The roads suck, and if you have an emergency and need to call the sheriff don't expect them to arrive very fast. If you don't want public health care, then don't pay for it and don't use it. Let those of us who want it pay for it. Yes, it is legal to not pay taxes. Remember "No taxation without representation"? Well, your beloved senators and congressmen don't give a rats ass about you. They are only loyal to their lobbyists and campaign contributors, they don't even know you exist. The point I'm getting to is that anarchism is getting to be a better idea every day, living by your own means and functioning totally autonomously.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This has being circulating so many times on the web, through word of mouth and any other communication means imaginable...

There are two things certain in life: death and taxes
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out this little gem,
http://www.newsweek.com/id/215340/output/print

Quote:
In this week's Newsweek, Andrew Romano suggests that we should be eager to extend the boon of health insurance to illegal immigrants, because they're young and healthy, and will lower the average cost of the pool.

How does needing to plan ahead for more people, lower costs ?
How many illegal immigrants have you ever met who pay taxes ?
Moderator Remark: Swapped The Atlantic out with Newsweek
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
How does needing to plan ahead for more people, lower costs ?
How many illegal immigrants have you ever met who pay taxes ?

Yes there will be a ball in play at some point if anyone wants to look for it.

I don't think I've ever read "The Atlantic". Looking at the cover for that issue left me thinking there is something subtle and surreal about it. :roll:

Actually this whole magazine is starting to look just plain as funny as current events generally are. Huh.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It took me longer to come back here and think of a way to say this than it did to get the link and swap it out.
  • gisele
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Nimes (France)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

very interesting to see how US will change (or not) about health care.

Fortunately I never go to a doctor's but I do think that health care is one of the first things a dignified society should afford for its citizens at leat at the same level as education, school, security.

I'm proud to take part to society which tries to go past everybody's egoism including mine.

Health should be the first right in a society regardless of everybody's social background because health care is a first necessity like eating.
Health hazards doesn't watch out for achievement time in live.

May I reassure you, in my country , there is no statue of any communist dictator, and means of production and property in general are not under control of common ownership :-)

This is just a matter of place a society grants to human beings regardless each individual contingencies-chances- destiny-achievement-merit or whatever word make sense for you.

I wish America a health care system she deserves.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much healthcare expense is preventative?
When you have to pay for things out of pocket, you tend to take care of it more than if it is freely given. I believe this is true of your body. Look at how most people on continual welfare are...

This way, discretion is by the person seeking what option they should use.

In my opinion, health care is not a need, it is a privilege that you must pay for.
Everyone will die. Just because there is a cure, or surgery that could extend your life, do you deserve it? I am not sure on that. If you can pay for it, you can have it. Just like a flat screen TV.

Take this "need" further. If this is a Human decency thing:
Why don't we stop all surgeries that cost a lot of money, and instead give just simple food and vaccinations to every person in the world? How much more would that 44,000 bill for a knee replacement go to starved/unwell 3rd world countries?
Why do Americans "need" healthcare to where they will pay for each other, but not pay for non americans?

Life is precious, the loss of a family or friend is hard, but be it an accident or just a too expensive of an operation, you have to realize life does end. Hopefully you are ready for what is next.

But simply what would make America more healthy?
shutting down all tabacco, alcohol, and fastfood/frozenfastfood sales.
  • gisele
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
When you have to pay for things out of pocket, you tend to take care of it more than if it is freely given. I believe this is true of your body. Look at how most people on continual welfare are...

This way, discretion is by the person seeking what option they should use.

In my opinion, health care is not a need, it is a privilege that you must pay for.
Everyone will die. Just because there is a cure, or surgery that could extend your life, do you deserve it? I am not sure on that. If you can pay for it, you can have it. Just like a flat screen TV.

Take this "need" further. If this is a Human decency thing:
Why don't we stop all surgeries that cost a lot of money, and instead give just simple food and vaccinations to every person in the world? How much more would that 44,000 bill for a knee replacement go to starved/unwell 3rd world countries?
Why do Americans "need" healthcare to where they will pay for each other, but not pay for non americans?

Life is precious, the loss of a family or friend is hard, but be it an accident or just a too expensive of an operation, you have to realize life does end. Hopefully you are ready for what is next.

But simply what would make America more healthy?
shutting down all tabacco, alcohol, and fastfood/frozenfastfood sales.

When you have to pay for things out of pocket, you tend to give up while facing financial deterrence. I believe this is true of your body. Look at how most people on continual welfare are...
You see this is a matter perception :-)

I don't know if you can't live without a flat TV but I suggest you to try to live with an appendicitis and maybe you will understand the biological sense of a "vital/necessary need".

What would make America more healthy?
make people able to go to diagnose/care health problem before its seriousness forces them to do it.
You are sensisitive to money arguments, the cost of health cares is related with the dévelopment phases of the disease.
This is true for the teeths, for cancer catching, etc.
How many diseases here are catched sooner thanks to simple checkup?

The side we can see the problem, is really revealing about the "unhumanizing" and brainwash power of the money.

Social darwinism is not a fatality.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Ah. I get exactly where you're coming from UPSGuy. Are they the type to brag about it behind closed doors, to which you just want to slap some sense into them but you can't ?

My god yes. They think it's just the cutest thing ever. /facepalm
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

gisele wrote:

Better habits and less laziness. That means actually taking the time to cook your own dinner instead of driving through McDonalds 15 times a week, and shopping for fresh organic produce instead of deep fried and frozen crap, and exercising. That won't fix every single health problem we have, but it will make a pretty good impact.
  • gisele
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
gisele wrote:

Better habits and less laziness. That means actually taking the time to cook your own dinner instead of driving through McDonalds 15 times a week, and shopping for fresh organic produce instead of deep fried and frozen crap, and exercising. That won't fix every single health problem we have, but it will make a pretty good impact.

Sure! unfortunately this is the problem of all the western countries.
That's part of our economic systems perversions.
Consumer behavior start at schools, with some "educational" sponsors (bad food marks)....
We don't consume this way because it's good for us but because the economic system need us to consume this way.
It's like an engine racing, the economic system is no longer at men service but men (their tastes, psychology, way of life, time, culture...) are simple material that are used and shaped by the free market.
Smell, componants witch send good signal to the brain, every single detail in Mc donalds is to preempt human primitive attractions.

cigarette is an intersting case. the perfect industrial product, this is nothing but some need, and the injuction to consume is chemically added inside the product.

western people are lazy and have bad habits because the economic system absolutely doesn't care about what is a good habit, or what activity could be virtuous for the body.
You cannot make good habits while children learn to read and write on coca cola educationnal game or ads go on telling milkyway is great for health.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nVpO1Dvfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nVpO1Dvfk
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was that suppose to go horribly wrong? Either way, now he has the PETA people hating him.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

meh, I lost a bit more of the small respect I had for PETA when they retitled their blog to "The PETA Files". Read it out loud. You can't make that up.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it happened the way it was supposed to. The way he looked into the pot and said "ok, forget the frogs" was just too funny to be scripted. He definitely didn't think that one through. They needed bigger frogs and less water.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I lost a bit more of the small respect I had for PETA when they retitled their blog to "The PETA Files".

I thought you were kidding. :lol:

Attachments:
peta-files.gif
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pedobear would be proud of them :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glen Beck is such an idiot.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Glen Beck is such an idiot.

Understatement of the year! It's really kind of sad to know his history, know what he used to 'support', and then see what kind of spotlight the media has given him.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The worst part is that conservative people actually take him seriously. If he wasn't on faux news and was just a Joe Average on the street they would have him committed.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably so. He's a walking contradiction. I hate the way they're allowing people to latch on and follow him the way they are. Just boils my blood to see how the Gen Pop will take their opinions from anything they don't have to read or research - i.e. the TV says it, so it must be so.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kanye, Beck, etc do the things they do because it generates a buzz. They couldn't care less what they're talking about, as long as people are watching. :)
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think they need to make a line of these with Beck's name just in the top of the circle:

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahaahah I see this conversation has moved but regarding the initial issue.... I still can't believe the US doesn't have some sort of national health coverage for everyone. All of Europe has it - granted it doesn't always work wonderfully, but it's an important part of a humane society. If you're a single mom with a sick baby and you can't afford insurance, the state shouldn't just let your baby die. There needs to be some basic care for everyone.............

and, ummm... I really like Obama :D Like, the first US president I'm genuinely enthusiastic about :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I really like Obama Like, the first US president I'm genuinely enthusiastic about

I agree. He's got that aura. Clinton had it. Regan had it. Kennedy had it. Lincoln had it.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I agree. He's got that aura. Clinton had it. Regan had it. Kennedy had it. Lincoln had it.

I have the same feeling, but I never really made the connection. It's like a coolness regardless of the pressure or a way with the people or something. Probably a combination of those and a few more. Whatever it is, he's got it.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Borrowing this one from Reddit

Katie Couric: "You said that Obama has a hatred for white culture. WTF is white culture?" Beck: "Umm, uhh, umm... the real story here is that Obama is racist."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKZ1qbDyKOM
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

And don't forget Rush Limbaugh saying he thinks we should have segregated school buses because white children are in danger around black children. *plum* man, that is stupid.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 63 posts