Obama

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apart from the obvious reason for reaching out to voters outwith the USA, what is the purpose of Obama flying out to Germany and addressing a crowd of people there?

He is now in the UK "talking" to our Prime Minister before i assume heading back to the USA. I recall he was over here a few weeks back as well talking to Gordon Brown too. I just don't see why Obama has to travel all over the world when he'd do well to focus his attention to those who actually still live in the United States.

:hmm:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great topic, SB.

I'm not American, but I've changed my point of view on 'Obama' until last 1 month.

Initially, he was someone who just 'wants' to compete for the presidential seat, to me. Now I look at him at a different angle.

Maybe it's the speech he delivered so well I've seen on TV, and he seems to know what's he's talking and doing.

On war department, he'd agreed to withdraw troops from Iraq which I think is not a bad decision.

I wish I had the time to read more about their mission both "Obama and McCain" so I could better summarise what I think about.

At the moment, I'm more on Obama, if you were asking who I like better...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest, and i know this may be hard to believe going by my last two GD topics, but i'm not really a fan of politicians. You'd have to be a fool to believe anything that comes out of their mouths. Now, this is not to say every single politician wants to screw about during their time in charge, but very often you see alot who make changes which will in some way have more of a benefit to their own financial wellbeing and others concerned with them for time after their power.

I really have to be careful on how i word these kinda posts as i don't ever want to sound like i support any political party. I'm not American and generally American politics has little or no importance to me, however as the United States is at present the most powerful nation on earth and with the UK being one of Americas main allies, it's important to me who is elected as the next president. So, i will be very interested in seeing how it all develops over the coming months.

On a personal note, i think it's time that the politicians from our own countries spend more time in our countries to help make the right changes for the future. A great proportion of the politics news we have here in the UK usually involves our politicians doing something to help some other country when people at home are struggling to make ends meet due to the increased taxes. I'm very happy to see the general public standing up to (by voting against) these politicians who do nothing more than promise a brighter future.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obama's trip is for people who are voting in the US. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, his opposition's primary critical arguments involve Obama being unfamiliar with international politics and situations, especially the war in Iraq. Secondly, and aimed more towards Europe, many Americans think our relationships with European countries have been damaged by the antics of a flippant, childish and irresponsible administration (e.g. Freedom Fries).

There are alternatives to the slick disingenuous politicians of a democracy. Let's see, we have oligarchies, plutocracies, monarchies, dictatorships, despots and warlords and good ol' fashioned theocracies . Good choices.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

He's just trying to see the world on his campain dollars. It's not like he's going to come back and visit when he's just a civilian after November.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are you sure that he'd be a civilian after November? - even if that's the case, why are you sure that he won't visit the countries again if he's a civilian?

:)
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first part ummm, just a hunch. The second part, it cost money.
  • vagabond
  • vagabond

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obama is a hard core globalist. All you have to do is listen to all his talk about 'no more borders' and one world government. That's why he's visiting all these countries. It's all about the New World Order (Google that). He is very dangerous, but so is McCain, so we loose either way.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If elected, what do you think Obama and McCain would do that suggests danger?
  • vagabond
  • vagabond

Post 3+ Months Ago

You wouldn't believe me if I told you. All I can do is recommend doing some research on the 'New World Order' and 'North American Union' with an open mind. I'm not saying you should believe everything you read, but too many people refuse to believe anything other than what they read or hear from the main stream media, which is a mistake.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
If elected, what do you think Obama and McCain would do that suggests danger?

POTUS doesn't really have the ability to be dangerous, so much. He or she doesn't have the authority to act in autonomy. He or she is constrained by their relationship with the legislative and judicial branches of the federal government. He or she is only one-third of the U.S. federal government.

Regardless of what we see in action-adventure movies, POTUS can't just pick up the phone and blow up the world.
  • eautocad
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Spring Hill, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what I think....

Obama bin laden...

take it how you want.
  • motherknucker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Nowhere and Everywhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obama is acting like he currently is President of US.
Negative publicity is already on his way
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
This is what I think....

Obama bin laden...

take it how you want.

I read somewhere that one in six Americans think he is a muslim... is that what you're implying :?:

I think the majority of Europeans are probably supporting Obama - a fresh start, but I don't think he'll win :(
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's really very premature to be discussing whose going to win. The candidates haven't even been to convention, yet. That's when the real horse race begins.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

None of my business, but I'm so eager to watch what's going to happen next for them to win the seat. Like everyone agrees, US is the current strongest economical country and it will affect the world in some way.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think world leaders should be visiting all over the place these days. If webcams are good enough for troops to communicate with their families, they should be good enough for world leaders to communicate with the world.

I'm not the biggest fan of millitary, but it makes me sick to think troops must resort to technology to tend to babies being born and other important moments in life when world leaders can be flown anywhere in the world in a matter of hours.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much has McCain been getting in the news over in America? over here all you hear about is Obama and very little about McCain. If they are both concerned about the vote from US residents living in the UK and Europe then i don't really see McCain doing an awful lot about it.

People generally look for the more vocal and interested politician. I think that's perhaps the main reason why a number of people fail to appreciate the UK prime minister at the moment as he has the tendency to be very quiet at important times.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

McCain shall not win :D

I don't want McCain to win...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
How much has McCain been getting in the news over in America? over here all you hear about is Obama and very little about McCain. If they are both concerned about the vote from US residents living in the UK and Europe then i don't really see McCain doing an awful lot about it.

They're not worried about US voters in the UK. They're worried about US voters in the US.

McCain has taken overseas trips.

Obama has recieved more attention in the press. Some will tell you that is because of media bias, but I would disagree. McCain isn't a very dynamic speaker. His campaign rhetoric to date has been singular and redundant (Apparently he's based his entire campaign on "The Surge"). Even consertative media outlets have tended to give Obama more coverage.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts