Odd email i received

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just received this email...

Attachments:
oddemail.jpg

My email address fully removed and senders has been partially removed.

There are a couple of things regarding this that confuse me. First of all, assuming this is genuine how did she get my email address? secondly, the attachment is a ZIP file and if she is sending a copy of an email i would doubt it would be compressed.

I've not seen emails like this before, so i'm going to guess that the sole purpose of this email is to attract people to opening the attachment and install some sort of spyware or virus onto the system.

What do you all think? Have you seen an email like this before, do you know what the purpose of it is?

By the way, Windows Live Mail (my email browser) automatically adds the word "SPAM" to those emails that it thinks may be unwanted yet not all make it into the spam folder (this being one of them).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would delete it and not open the attachment but if you want to know more about it, post the headers with all the IP addresses.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The zip attachment most likely contains a virus/trojan/etc

Just delete it. It's worthless.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sort of knew that, and normally wouldn't think twice about opening anything like that. I was more interested in the point of the email, although deep down i knew.

Not really important and the email has been removed.

Thanks for reconfirming my thoughts.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

What might be kind of fun is trying to scambait them into something. I have tried that with some of those "your royalty relative has passed away..." type of emails but it has never worked. I actually get a lot of of enjoyment out of looking at the headers and doing DNS and whois look ups on the addresses in the headers. Most of the time I can pinpoint it down to the ISP, and if there isn't an actual domain with that IP then you can be pretty sure it came from a bot. Spam emails and botnets and the spammer tactics are very intriguing.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

<offtopic>Bet Bigwebmaster knows where Bozeman Montana is. If not I'm sure he knows where "Booze man" Montana is</offtopic>
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozeman is north of Yellowstone Park, and kind of north west of the Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth pass, that absolutely freaking coolest most awesome place in the world. Just don't drive over it in a motorhome...with your mom in the passenger seat...looking over the drop offs out her window.
  • Nins_Leprechaun
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nins_Leprechaun
  • Loc: Kingston, Ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I'll repeat what everyone else has said, but perhaps elaborate a little on the nature of the e-mail. It'll install a virus, yes, but more importantly, who would get their account statements e-mailed to them? People who do online banking. Basically kill two birds with one stone, get a keylogger or trojan on a person’s computer, with the knowledge that sooner or later said virus will produce the bank account information of the victim.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts