Odd Firefox Behavior

• ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so this has happened to me before I thought I was going crazy :lol: This seems to correct itself within a few minutes I managed to get a screen shot.

Now anyone have fire fox randomly have transparent tabs? Yes the background color of the tabs active and inactive tabs become transparent. I Don't have nor have I ever installed a skin for firefox.

See this image to know what I'm talking about

The new tab is actually selected and active it doesn't look any different then the ozzu tab.
Attachments:
OK.jpg

This image shows what is normally looks like
Attachments:
Normal.jpg

I really don't know what causes this but I kinda want to know :hmm:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never had this specific problem happen, but weird things occasionally happen with Firefox if I leave it open for a long time. It usually seems to be that it will consume more and more memory, either there is a memory leak in FF, or one of the plugins I use has a memory link. Regardless, when it has been open for a long time sometimes things get slower, and rendering of any websites seem to slow down. At this point I usually close the browser down completely, and start again. Then it is all fixed again, and everything is fast. That is probably one of my biggest annoyances with Firefox, for me anyway.

So with that said I wanted to ask you if you have noticed this happening after you have had your browser open for awhile, and after maybe you had many tabs open before (of which you closed), but you never shut down FireFox completely. When I look at your screenshot it almost seems like Firefox didn't fully render the tabs to your screen. My hunch is you have left the browser open for a long time and its possible that rendering is slowed down or failed to even completely finish at times.

Has this ever happened fairly quickly after first opening the browser?
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't had my browser open longer then I normally do and today I actually have less tabs or windows open then I normally do. The tabs were fully rendered before they went transparent I refreshed a webpage, windows outlook formally hotmail, when the tabs changed on me.

I pulled the ozzu tab off my main window and into its own window and then added a new tab and the were still transparent. That is when I took the screen shot. The browser was open for about 6 hours with about 12 tabs opened and a total of three windows my error console and 4 view source pages.

I have not completely shut down firefox today about 5 minutes after i save the screen shot the tabs returned to normal and then I took the other screen shot.

The memory leak may be a cause due to the constant error that no one seems to know what to do about/fix no matter what i've tried in the past I cant ditch this error
Code: [ Select ]
Timestamp: 7/24/2013 1:19:49 PM
Error: TypeError: gBrowser.getBrowserForDocument is not a function
Source File: chrome://priv/content/priv.js
Line: 443
  1. Timestamp: 7/24/2013 1:19:49 PM
  2. Error: TypeError: gBrowser.getBrowserForDocument is not a function
  3. Source File: chrome://priv/content/priv.js
  4. Line: 443

It shows up 8 times per page load I've even removed all addons/extensions and uninstalled/reinstalled FF and it still shows up So I've given up on that error lol

Its happen twice and I think both times I was refreshing outlook/hotmail and a few hours into running FF

Maybe Its Microsoft's attempt to regain internet market shares lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's that toolbar you are using? I don't recognize it
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

Web developer 1.2.5 but i arranged the window a bit and put my book marks one the same line as the tool bar which sometimes causes the web developer tool bar to collapse on it self and the text that goes with the icons disappears it doesn't bug me though I know the tools I need in it and the tool bar resets after a full shut down of ff
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reason i asked was have you tried disabling it to see if that's the cause of the problem?
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your talking about for the error in the error console then the answer would be yes I even deleted all addons and uninstalled/reinstalled FF also this error was happening on my old system as well. I gave up trying to find a fix for it a while ago. I haven't checked to see if there has been one made or not.

If your asking for the tabs going transparent it doesn't happen enough to debug it has only happened twice in three months maybe longer
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok? so i haven't done this in awhile but I just got done uninstalling and reinstalling FF and reinstalled all of my addons and that error i kept getting is now gone.

maybe that will solve the tabs issue but only time will tell
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPDATE: Now that I've gotten that javascript issue resolved I've been waiting to see if the transparent tabs would happen again. Well ... It happened again today lol and again shortly after reading an email and then going back to my inbox in hotmail.

My computer has been running for less than three hours before this happened.

one firefox (browser) window open with 13 tabs. 2 DOM view selected source windows 2 view source windows and the error console running

Running firefox 22

Computer running it is
ASUS G74S
Windows 7 Home Premium service pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
12.0GB of ram

Interesting things to note error console stats a few errors from hotmail.
Timestamp: 8/8/2013 9:51:23 AM
Error: no element found
Source File: https://bay177.mail.live.com/Handlers/ScenarioQos.mvc
Line: 1

Timestamp: 8/8/2013 9:51:31 AM
Error: The character encoding of the plain text document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the file needs to be declared in the transfer protocol or file needs to use a byte order mark as an encoding signature.
Source File: https://a.gfx.ms/hig_GoZ_17uboZ1F8rfHlZp7Cw2.css
Line: 0

Error: The character encoding of the plain text document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the file needs to be declared in the transfer protocol or file needs to use a byte order mark as an encoding signature.
Source File: https://a.gfx.ms/InboxAll__tK8vglwyxWc5GoAQAYKxQ2.css

Source File: https://a.gfx.ms/ReadingPane_L0N_URXsKrgLFLtU5lEJVw2.css
  1. Timestamp: 8/8/2013 9:51:23 AM
  2. Error: no element found
  3. Source File: https://bay177.mail.live.com/Handlers/ScenarioQos.mvc
  4. Line: 1
  5. Timestamp: 8/8/2013 9:51:31 AM
  6. Error: The character encoding of the plain text document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the file needs to be declared in the transfer protocol or file needs to use a byte order mark as an encoding signature.
  7. Source File: https://a.gfx.ms/hig_GoZ_17uboZ1F8rfHlZp7Cw2.css
  8. Line: 0
  9. Timestamp: 8/8/2013 9:51:31 AM
  10. Error: The character encoding of the plain text document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the file needs to be declared in the transfer protocol or file needs to use a byte order mark as an encoding signature.
  11. Source File: https://a.gfx.ms/InboxAll__tK8vglwyxWc5GoAQAYKxQ2.css
  12. Line: 0
  13. Timestamp: 8/8/2013 9:51:31 AM
  14. Error: The character encoding of the plain text document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the file needs to be declared in the transfer protocol or file needs to use a byte order mark as an encoding signature.
  15. Source File: https://a.gfx.ms/ReadingPane_L0N_URXsKrgLFLtU5lEJVw2.css
  16. Line: 0

And when I was looking at the version of firefox It stated it was currently updating.

It could be coincidental that all these transparency tab stuff happen while looking at or switching to the hotmail tab.

At this point I'm going to say It might have been firefox messing itself up while doing an update. Since i don't know of any javascript code or css that can do something like this to a browser.
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG I can now recreate the transparent tabs at will. lol .... "drum roll" the the culprit is "CRASH" Microsoft Outlook (formerly hotmail). for me to recreate this issue click on the new button to compose a new email start typing an email address and then click on the outlook logo to go back to your inbox. there should be a message "You're about to throw away this message without sending it." click continue and you will go to the inbox and then the tabs go transparent for about 5 to 10 minutes
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting, well now you know what not to do :)

Wonder what the actual code is that causes behavior like that on Microsoft's end.

I just tried to follow what you said, step by step, and it does not happen for me. There must be more factors at play to be able to duplicate that issue.
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure But i just did it this morning when i got to work and the first attempt it crashed firefox completely second time it did what i was experiencing
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

My error console exploded when I open hotmail though ... I don't get any errors while its happening so as to the cause I'm not sure

http://www.indefinitedesigns.com/error2.jpg
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

here is a video screen grab of whats happening http://www.indefinitedesigns.com/error.swf .... I did block out my inbox and the auto fill drop downs
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can confirm that for me it doesn't do it. I also get all of those character encoding errors filling up the error log. I get no crashes or transparent tabs.

I would be curious how much RAM Firefox is using up during the times you have this issue. Same with CPU usage. Does it seem normal, or is it spiked?

The machine I am using has 12 GB of ram just like you. I also am using an Intel Core I7 processor. What video card are you using? There have to be other factors that contribute to your problem since I am unable to duplicate it.
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

my graphic card is a geforce gtx 560m 3gb

CPU usage jumped to 9% ram stayed relatively consistent from 3.05GB to 3.09GB

In the resource monitor firefox threads dropped from 72 to 60 then back up to 72

I don't see anything out of the ordinary
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that seems all normal to me.
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmmmmm ..... I wonder if i can recreate this issue at home. My works network is heavy on firewalls and i was noticing a few things in the net panel of firebug not resolving.
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

So it's not a fire wall issue ... however the first time i tried it at home it didn't work and then i did it immediately after and it did. I didn't do too much testing at home yet
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the net panel I see a 403 error for https://blufiles.storage.msn.com/{some hash} I went to it and the fire wall at work is blocking this. because this is trying to avoid the proxy server.

Also while in the compose page it looks like it is trying to connect to rendezvous.skype.com but it never resolves it just keeps clocking away it has been going for about 30 minutes now Ive tried to "stop loading" and cancel the request as soon as i do a new one pops up.

Going directly to the url spits out this, and it resolves

SkyJS.namespace('SkyJS.Outlook.Rollout').Data = {
     "GB" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
     "DE" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
     "US" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
     "BR" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
     "CA" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
     "FR" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
     "PL" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 },
     "CZ" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 },
     "CN" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 },
     "ZN" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 },
     "ROW" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 }
};SkyJS.namespace('SkyJS.dynamicConfig').Data = { visitorSampling: 100 };
  1. SkyJS.namespace('SkyJS.Outlook.Rollout').Data = {
  2.      "GB" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
  3.      "DE" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
  4.      "US" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
  5.      "BR" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
  6.      "CA" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
  7.      "FR" : { "current": 100, "maximum": 100 },
  8.      "PL" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 },
  9.      "CZ" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 },
  10.      "CN" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 },
  11.      "ZN" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 },
  12.      "ROW" : { "current": 0, "maximum": 0 }
  13. };SkyJS.namespace('SkyJS.dynamicConfig').Data = { visitorSampling: 100 };
  • JustCreated1ToReply
  • Born
  • Born
  • JustCreated1ToReply

Post 3+ Months Ago

About 10 seconds of googling shows that this is a FF bug, not a Hotmail bug. Several sites reproduce this behavior. I get it also. It may be specific to NVIDIA drivers. It happens on pages with certain "animation" transitions. You can find the thread at:

support.mozilla.org__en-US__questions/957300 (remove underscores, add https)

I get the transparent tabs things a lot, the driver reset infrequently, and the BSOD just once so far.
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ty I also ran across that post when this started happening and that was well before the post stating it was a bug. I just went with it since I really couldn't find an answer at the time and i haven't really tried to search again.

I have also confirmed the nVIDIA claim Running in performance and entertainment modes cause the issue to occur and running in quiet/office and battery saving modes the issue is gone.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts