online text and image copyright

• antonyx
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • antonyx
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have recently discovered that several of my competitors (if you want to call them that) are literally cut and pasting sections of my website onto their own. They are also using our images.

Can someone enlighten me on the procedure to copyright text and images (hoping there is a general protocl that all web users must follow).

I am also interested in hiding the HTML code from source viewing. If this is done, could that have negative effects in terms of SEO??

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I am also interested in hiding the HTML code from source viewing. If this is done, could that have negative effects in terms of SEO??

If you implemented something that truely keeps the HTML code a secret, SEO would be the least of your worries because nobody at all would be able to see the page anyway.

You're going to find a lot of methods that make you think you can't see the HTML code, but they're all just illusions like sawing a woman in half. If you're wary, just post anything you find claiming to hide the source code/html here and at least one person here will be able to tell you what the HTML code is or how to find it before the day is over.

--

Good luck finding ways to protect your content, the only stuff that actually works and doesn't involve copyright lawyers is generally not discussed in public.
  • antonyx
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • antonyx
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

i thought as much.

i was not to fond of that idea anyway, hiding content...

well has anyone here gone through the process of copywriting their website content (text/images).. is it expensive? is there a single organisation or protocol you must follow or does it depend on the country/region
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the U.S., copyright is implicit. Whenever you create anything independently and/or privately, you are the owner of the copyright of those materials. You don't even have to put a copyright declaration - but you should.

You can read the complete copyright act for the U.S. here - http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

You can also fill out a copyright form and register your ownership at that site ( http://www.copyright.gov/ ).

The only exception to ownership by copyright is called "fair use".

More reading:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_a ... 0/0-b.html
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

//Someone else will have to fill you in on U.K./European copyright.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if DMCA applies in the UK, and there's hosts popping up lately whos main selling point is that they're outside of the reach of and therefore ignore DMCA takedown notices, but there's this thread I started awhile ago that might interest you.

Funny story really, I wrote that after seeing someone soo frustrated on a "blackhat" forum about constantly getting kicked due to DMCA complaints I thought they were going to smash their keyboard through their monitor. But naturally, they started asking for and recieved suggestions of, hosts that ignore DMCA complaints. It shouldn't be long before a DMCA Takedown Request is as worthless as trying to hide your source code.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts