Opportunity rover reveals alien Mars

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Notice in the picture you can see where the rover left imprints in the soil as it rolled to a stop on Mars.

Exactly three weeks after its identical twin set down on Mars, NASA’s Opportunity rover landed late Saturday and sent back pictures of Martian terrain unlike any seen before.

advertisement

Scientists had expected that Opportunity's landing site would look markedly different from the rock-strewn landscapes that surrounded the Spirit rover as well as the Pathfinder and Viking landers — and they were right.

The first crop of black-and-white pictures showed what appeared to be a plain of dark soil so fine it was imprinted with the trails of the airbags that cushioned Opportunity's landing. In the distance, blocky slabs of lighter rock poked up through the soil.

"I'm flabbergasted. I'm astonished. I'm blown away," Steve Squyres, principal investigator for rover science, said early Sunday during a news briefing at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "Opportunity has touched down in a bizarre, alien landscape."

Squyres said the slabs were "the first bedrock outcrop ever found on Mars," and he speculated that the rover may have landed within a crater because of the look of the skyline. The first color image from Opportunity showed that the soil was a dark gray-red, with the airbag imprints showing up in a brighter red. That "suggests that there may be some kind of layering," Squyres said.

"This is exactly what it looked like in my wildest dreams," he said.

See entire article here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4042603/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Houston I think we are getting better at it!"

Whoo thats great news, it was only a matter of time before Mars realizes the UFO invasion that is happening on their planet isn't stoppable! :-D
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

70's sci-fi movies had it all wrond, lets go conquer mars

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts