Oracle beefs up virtualization - buys Virtual Iron

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oracle's most recent purchase of Virtual Iron would lead one to believe that they're aiming to beef up their virtualization know-how, but upon further look, you may just question where they're headed with this one. When Oracle bought Sun, they acquired their very own in-house virtualization unit, which in comparison to others, is a pretty sizeable operation. So why the secondary purchase of Virtual Iron? Granted, both are based on the open-source Xen project, but there's bound to be a great deal of overlap.

So what's your take? Anyone been tracking Oracle's progression over the last few years? Theyre string of purchases is rather unique. Any ideas?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it's a backup plan in case the Sun deal falls through. I read something about the Sun shareholders suing to stop the Oracle purchase not too long ago.

Since the two companies overlap soo much as far as the aquired technology, maybe the Sun purchase was simply a way to get rid of some competition while the getting was good.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always thought the oracle\sun deal was a little odd. It makes sense to buy out your competitor (sun maintains mysql), but there is jsut something that doesn't quite make sense in my little peanut brain.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's some interesting info regarding the deal:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news ... -month.ars

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts