Paid Email Providers

• lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am considering paying for email service and wondered what email providers you all use to work with your personal mydomain.com addresses.

I am not talking about forwarding to fre accounts like hotmail, gmail etc. I am talking about services frmo which you can send email as if it were sent from your domain address.

I know gmail allows you to send from '[user@gmail.com] on behalf of [user@mydomain.com]' but I want something which actually sends from my domain to look more professional. I'm not considering (Moz) Thunderbird because that would have to be installed on each computer and I would likt to avoid that. Here's what I've found so far:

Yahoo $35/year (5 accounts/10 Gig total)
GoDaddy $19.99/year (5 accounts/1 Gig total)
I don't believe Hotmail, Lycos and Register.com allow sending direct from mydomain.com

Let me know what you all use (those of you that use a service like this) 8) Thanks, lk
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

1 & 1 has e-mail that you can receive either through their web dingy or, by POP or IMAP, through a client like Apple Mail, Outlook or Thunderbird...
and their plans are 1$/month for 5 email accounts w/ POP, IMAP and webmail (w/ up to 400 email aliases)
and $7/month for 1 Microsoft Exchange account (which is probably not what you're looking for)
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is something about this in the windows live beta.
http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx? ... db6b49f7de
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't get it. What host are you on that doesn't already provide it's own email service?
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I don't get it. What host are you on that doesn't already provide it's own email service?

I was under this impression too. Most hosts I've dealt with have their own webmail.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even if you're hosting your own domain just install an SMTP server and it's a done deal. Windows IIS comes with it's own SMTP server.
  • yenerich
  • Student
  • Student
  • yenerich

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go for a regular hosting, usually you can get NOT only what you want (even websaed or pop3, whatever you preffer) but another scripts like blogs, image galleries, etc.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

Two things about that. Uing my hosts email service requires the domain in question to be included as an addon domain and I would rather keep my limited number of addon domains for actual website hosting - the domain I am looking to use for emails would be for email only.

Second the email/webmail clients offered are ugly as [insert expletive here] - Horde and SquirrelMail :roll:

yenerich wrote:
Go for a regular hosting, usually you can get NOT only what you want (even websaed or pop3, whatever you preffer) but another scripts like blogs, image galleries, etc.

Riiiiiiiight :scratchhead: I am not considering changing my hosting just for this - my hosting is excellent for actual website hosting, and fantastic value so I am very happy with it.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

CowKiller wrote:
there is something about this in the windows live beta.
http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx? ... db6b49f7de

Yes I looked into this. It works out quite well - I am able to send emails (to and) from me@mydomain.com in a Hotmail interface with 2 Gigs of space - for free. Pretty nice.

Emails have the hotmail taglines across the bottom but for free this is pretty good. Of course I could always upgrade for ad-free for $19.95/y
  • I_Am
  • Loc: Plantation Key,FL USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

gMail has this, too;i use it often. Its under Settings>Accounts.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I_Am wrote:
gMail has this, too;i use it often. Its under Settings>Accounts.

Above I wrote:
I know gmail allows you to send from '[user@gmail.com] on behalf of [user@mydomain.com]' but I want something which actually sends from my domain to look more professional.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I understand what your trying to do now that I have read all this but to make sure Im to tell you what I believe is going on.

You have a domain and you want your email account to be on that domain but you dont have any open addon domains to use it.

Does your host offer upgrades for your hosting plan? Such as 1 addition addon domain for a onetime payment of $20. You might now have seen it so I would check.

roarmeow talked about 1&1, they look nice for 24 bucks a year you can get a little hosting plan. So you can get the domain and if you ever want to make a webpage you have the space. Cheap than yahoo email.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or since you host has squirel/horde, you could set up thunderbird to access your mail and send your mail with the return address as 'you@yourdomain.com' just a thought.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

7 Year necro. Wonder what the record is, this is gotta be close...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts