Paranoid about network connections.....

• malikah
  • malikah

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi....this question has to do with my in ternet connection status window......why does my internet activity continue to send and receive packets, even when i have no programs running including my antivirus.... and where are these packets going to and coming from....and.....why does my gateway seem to think that i've been connected for 1 day and 16 hours when i know i turned off my comp last night?...one other thing... my 1394 and local area connections stop sending and receiving when i shut down any internet related programs and are also aware of the fact that ive been connected to the internet for 45 minutes and not 1.5 days.....unlike my internet connection...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A couple guesses. I'm going to make an assumption that you are on broadband (cable or DSL) and connected to the internet via a router. In that case, you will have constant "communications" with your ISP - hence the packet activity. I'm also guessing that's why you are showing a longer connection time as you are always connected to your ISP on broadband whether you shut your computer down or not. The time discrepency may be that you last reset your modem or router a day and a half ago vs. when you actually shut your computer down -- or perhaps it was when your IP lease was last renewed. Not sure about that one.
  • malikah
  • malikah

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh....that makes sense - yes i am on a cable connection with router....thank you :)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

malikah wrote:
my 1394 and local area connections stop sending and receiving when i shut down any internet related programs and are also aware of the fact that ive been connected to the internet for 45 minutes and not 1.5 days.....unlike my internet connection...

The lease was my first guess, but the fact that some programs are reporting a different time is unusual.

What operating system are you using?
What programs are reporting connection times, and values are they reporting?
You mentioned a gateway. Do you mean an external router, or your NIC?
What Firewire devices are you using?

Tracking IP connections is tedious... first off, you need to get your operating system to report its activity (command vary).

Lastly, if the activity levels are suspicious, three words: antivirus and antispyware tools.

Also of interest... a large number of computers are still infected with the recent 2000/XP worm. It randomly tries IP addresses looking to spread. Enough traffic still exists on the net to hit you fairly regularly.

Some IP traffic is completely normal. Router configuration messages, diagnostics, and various other broadcast events.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts